User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #31
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 806
Mine is on it's way still.

I have a similar sizing issue to you, at 6' even; 155 lbs.

Will post results later in the week when it's in my hands.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #32
.fisher
pissin' in the wind

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
Mine is on it's way still.

I have a similar sizing issue to you, at 6' even; 155 lbs.

Will post results later in the week when it's in my hands.
I'm nearly the same build hoping to hear your results.
.fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #33
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Which has the better venting? the traverse or the overland? The overland appears to have the same shape vents as my chinook pants from klim, that sort of diagonal cut from waist to above the knee which I think helps scoop up a lot of air all over my leg. Can anyone comment to the effectiveness of one pant over the other?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #34
bhb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
Which has the better venting? the traverse or the overland? The overland appears to have the same shape vents as my chinook pants from klim, that sort of diagonal cut from waist to above the knee which I think helps scoop up a lot of air all over my leg. Can anyone comment to the effectiveness of one pant over the other?
are you just curious about the pants? or jacket as well?

I've got a Traverse jacket, and I really like it, but it doesn't vent all that well. all it has is under-arm vents, which, in riding position, are pushed closed. You have to hold up your arms a bit (bow them out) to get the vents to open up and air to flow. Thankfully its not a heavy jacket to begin with, so even with armor, its not terribly hot. Its been hot around here recently (90's) and it hasn't been terribly uncomfortable while underway. Sitting on the tarmac at a traffic light .... thats another story.

Can't speak to the pants, I've got Latitudes.
bhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #35
prime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I rode home today thru town (60 km/hr) with jacket vents open. I have to say I expected the venting to perform a little better. I have a 4 day trip coming up next weekend, that should be a better test for this jacket than my 5km commute to work. I think I might spring for the pants too.
prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #36
Mr.Dabalina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I just picked mine up. I have not ridden in it yet, but I do think this maybe a bit toasty on those 90 degree days. I don't think many jackets other than a straight mesh jacket can be comfortable in those temps. This is my first motorcycle jacket so i can't compare it to much. It is much more comfortable than the other three piece jackets that I happened to try on. Coming from back packing and snowboarding the do it all shell makes more sense to me. For fitting purposes, I am 6' and weigh 215 and the large fits perfect. I am able to put my north face, 550 fill, goose down jacket underneath and all is right. I will post back when I go for a ride later today.
Mr.Dabalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #37
TegRacer324
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
Interesting thread, I'm looking to buy another Valdez but here in the UK we're tiold they're no longer available yet 2013 spec jackets are for sale on US Ebay and are listed on the Klim website - anyone know what's going on?

I'd prefer not to buy a Traverse, I like the snowskirt and thumb loops of the Valdez and I'm not bothered about armour as I'll wear it primarily for trailriding with an Alpinestar pressure suit underneath.

Anyone familiar with the Tomahawk:

Or the Keweenaw which looks nearly identical to my old Valdez?

Or the Klimate which looks like the Keweenaw & Valdez but without the Napoleon pockets:

I've been told that the Traverse is made of a tougher grade of Cordura than the Valdez which should give a bit more abrasion resistance which I think is a bit lacking in the Valdez as I believe it's main use is a snowmobile jacket - any comments?
Those are all definitely from their snowmobile line. I actually have a tomahawk for sledding. The klimate even has insulation in it I believe. They might work in the dirt somewhat but I don't think they're really built with any abrasion resistance in mind.
TegRacer324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #38
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 806
This Overland is very well made! Just enough pockets and doo dads to have enough utility, while remaining minimalist.

The armor is much more substantial than I thought it would be. It is great quality stuff, and I see no reason to upgrade it. The spine protector needed some help with a utility knife to finish the vent holes - a 5 min job.

The M fits me well - 6', 155 pounds (cyclist's physique). The sleeves are long enough, and the dropped tail all are good. (I often have issues with stuff being too short in these areas). The jacket is a little bulky on my skinny frame, but that will allow met to wear a fleece or down underneath as well as body armor when necessary; I like those options.

I can fit my Dainese compression suit/spine protector underneath if I remove the KLIM's shoulder and spine armor. I will be using the jacket both ways: with it's included armor for road rides, and with the compression suit for more offroad stuff. In other words, this is going to do double duty as my touring jacket and my enduro jacket.
The sleeve cinch strap should keep the jacket's elbow armor in place better, plus reduce bulk and wind drag. This was a key differentiator vs the Traverse for me. If I was not planning to use the jacket's armor and would always be wearing body armor underneath, I probably would have opted for the Traverse. It's price is better if you're 100% Enduro mode.

With the included jacket's armor, I can wear my Leatt over the top of everything comfortably. I do not think that will work with the jacket as a shell, and my Dainese suit underneath it.

The venting could be better. The vents that it has are are large, but some sort of chest or front of arm vent would be a nice addition.
I think it will be hot under 40mph, but haven't had hot weather here yet to actually test.

The styling details are much better than the Traverse, in my opinion.

I will be pairing this jacket with KLIM Dakar pants for a 4-week Western US trip in July (OBDR, CDT, western TAT). For road stuff around the tri-state, either the Dakar or heavy jeans.

Again, great customer service from Atomic; they were highly communicative and got an M drop shipped from KLIM HQ for me.
To be honest, I would have gone with Revzilla if they had the gear earlier, but they didn't have as good information to share and received their KLIM goods a few days after Atomic Moto.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.

rpet screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 04:39 PM
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #39
sevenpointsixtwo OP
Newb Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 197
Thanks for the report! Your sizing solidifies my decision to go with the L.

Atomic will be getting my business as well. I talked to Brian and they didn't have the 32T pants in stock just yet, but I will hopefully get them on order when I get back from Canada in a few weeks!

1998 Tiger 900
2000 DRZ400E
sevenpointsixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #40
staplebox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
hot weather?

Can anyone speak to hot weather venting / use of the Overland?
staplebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #41
easy_rider_77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by staplebox View Post
Can anyone speak to hot weather venting / use of the Overland?
I have the same question. Do the vents let in enough air to be bearable on hot summer days?
easy_rider_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #42
Mr.Dabalina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
If this jacket had a chest vent it would be the only jacket necessary. The side vents do vent if it is positioned just right but I can only find that about 10% of the time. It's not cool on a 85 degree day at speed, but its not hot either. Now if I was pushing hard offroad and getting the heart rate up it might get hot. Stop lights in 85 is pretty hot but most jackets are. I have found if I can unzip the main zipper 4 or 5 inches and get the collar right I could probably wear this jacket in low humidity 90 degree days. My plan though is to get a mesh jacket for the humid, dead of summer type days. I'm sure I could stand it at speed but I think it would be worth it. So IMO I would think this jacket would work for about nine or ten months out of the year in humid southern Indiana. And those other months I could probably wear it comfortably in the morning or late evening. Tested the water proofing for about two hours in a pretty descent rain and my top was dry as a bone. My legs and feet were completely soaked through(I don't have the matching pants). Hope this helps.
Mr.Dabalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #43
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Anyone bought the Overland Jacket and pants yet? Wondering if the jacket and pants zip together? Didn't see them talk about it on any reviews. This set looks promising if it does..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #44
prime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
No they dont. I have the jacket and traverse pant. No zipper or anything like that on the jacket.
prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #45
UberKul
UberNoob

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by prime View Post
No they dont. I have the jacket and traverse pant. No zipper or anything like that on the jacket.
Nor the pant.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2