User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
freetors OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Help recommend some parts for upcoming mini car project

I'm going to be starting a project to use up some of the spare stuff laying around at home. It's going to be a micro car, think Peel P50 but with four wheels and capability for seating two in tandem. I already have two Briggs and Stratton vertical shaft engines to choose from, a 5 speed lawn tractor transmission, 4 6"x6" magnesium airplane wheels, two 8.25" rotors from a kawasaki KXT250 to go on the front, two 7.5 iron rotors that are made for the airplane wheels, a matching set of front calipers from the sv650 I used to own, a steering wheel, a very expensive mitsubishi airplane master cylinder, and a few other odds and ends.

I need to find a matching set of small calipers for the rear, preferably very small calipers. The calipers that come off of the kxt would be perfect to use, I have three. However, they are all for the same side and they all need a bunch of small parts (which are readily availabe). I understand that kz1000's from '81-'00 all had the same calipers on the front. Are there any other bikes that have very small dual front calipers that I should be looking for? I am going to go to the local motorcycle salvage yard to see if I can find anything suitable.

Also, I am in need of some small shocks with about 3 inches of travel. I would prefer them to be coilovers and inexpensive and decent. I know tons of sportbikes have shocks that would suit me fine but finding four matching shocks with low wear at a low price would be difficult, plus I would have to get lighter springs for all of them. I have also seen on ebay some cheap chinese shocks for UJMs that could work well and be under $150 bucks for four. I could also adapt some cheap auto shocks if I can't find anything else. Anybody know any good resources for this stuff?

If I haven't made myself clear yet I'm looking for parts that are small, light, and cheap! Any help is greatly appreciated!
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
Quickv4
Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer: 550
For the calipers, i think any early UJM caliper would do. I know I would rather have more braking than less. I know on my Honda V4's (Sabre, Magna) have some pretty nice compact two pots on both sides, and all models basically use the same caliper throughout the years.

For the shocks, try going to you local Harley Dealer and ask them if they have any stock takeoff shocks in the shop. Like the stock exhaust systems, mirrors, lights, controls, etc. these are the first things that the new owner will usually take off. So the parts are usually brand spanking new, and usually put in the scrap bin. You could probably find two matching sets easily.

www.v4hondabbs.com
Quickv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Don't forget pit bike stuff. XR50 rear shocks can be had for $30 each new on ebay.
2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
freetors OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the suggestions guys, let's keep em coming! Searching for xr50 shocks has shown me a whole bunch of small inexpensive universal shocks.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
You're probably going to be disappointed in the lawn tractor transmission. They're not designed to be shifted while moving and they won't hold up at speeds over 10 mph.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,444
Go sign on at Aliexpress.com and look at all the parts they may have for sale. Free shipping from China...!

http://www.aliexpress.com/
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
freetors OP
Studly Adventurer

I found a good deal on some front calipers off of a 2011 Suzuki LTA500 quad that I can use on the rear. They are nice compact single piston calipers. $30 for the pair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
You're probably going to be disappointed in the lawn tractor transmission. They're not designed to be shifted while moving and they won't hold up at speeds over 10 mph.
You may be right but I'm going to be optimistic about it. I got it for free so it's worth a shot. I think I may be able to "float" through the gears. I'm also going to be servicing it and packing it with new grease. And I'll be making some modifications to it to improve service life like adding grease fittings, better sealing, and external ball bearings to support the axles so the cases don't get worn as much.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,418
shocks.... ATV, snow machine, gocart, etc....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=atv%20...d=453730439309
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,175
Check this out....probably 205 though.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
freetors OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Check this out....probably 205 though.

Mine will be much, much smaller. And more British looking.

For anyone interested you can follow my build thread here http://www.locostusa.com/forums/view...p?f=36&t=14805
I may have a parallel thread here soon.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,175
Would be nice to look like a mini A35 panel, like Wallace and Gromits.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote