Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #31
Cerberus83 OP
The Wingman

Oddometer: 141
The pics do look amazing! Dumb question though: are these streets or off-road trails? I see only one "street" that goes into Trout River. I may go with Option 2 and check out western coast as well...
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #32
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
Two lane black top from Wiltondale to Trout River. There is a campground there but for tenting my preference is Green Point. More basic but less crowded.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #33
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,491
The Maine coast is not as wonderful as the maps may suggest. Rather than trying to hit it all, it's better to pick a few plums and move on. Bar Harbor and Mt. Desert Island is great. The area around Rockland is also. A great deal of it is riding very close to the ocean where you can't quite get a wonderful view.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #34
Cerberus83 OP
The Wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
Two lane black top from Wiltondale to Trout River. There is a campground there but for tenting my preference is Green Point. More basic but less crowded.
Excellent! I was looking for camp sites around Gros Morne and I was thinking about camping at KOA (I know, "KOA")... There were some other sites, but after looking at Newfoundland's tourism website, I thought KOA would be the easiest to book (for the rest, the reservations open around April 13th). I too am interested in basic camping, though, showers would (will) be nice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
The Maine coast is not as wonderful as the maps may suggest. Rather than trying to hit it all, it's better to pick a few plums and move on. Bar Harbor and Mt. Desert Island is great. The area around Rockland is also. A great deal of it is riding very close to the ocean where you can't quite get a wonderful view.
Thanks for the heads up Canuman. I think I'm bypassing some (most?) of the "boring" southern routes/sites per other inmate's suggestions. As such, I'm basically starting the trip in Maine from Brunswick (I'm "dropping in" into Portland only to see the two lighthouses that are there). Also, the ferry from NS to NL (via Argentia) leaves on 6/21 (only ferry that week) which leaves me with a day or so to play around with... so I'm using that day to ride around Cape Breton.

As of right now, the only two unknowns are the ferry from Campobello Is. to Deer Is. and the ferry from St. John to Digby (2013 schedules for these two ferries have not yet been released)...
Old 02-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #35
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

The St. John to Digby ferry is very reliable, just don't expect a luxury passenger ferry. This is a working ferry. I believe it runs every three hours. Last time I took it, it looked as if it came off the Murmansk run. There were holes in the deck, and the "lounge" looked as if a bunch of Hell's Angels had gone through it.

I met I guy I'd been to college with, and we settled in and had a hell of a time catching up. It was a good trip, at least that portion of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus83 View Post
As of right now, the only two unknowns are the ferry from Campobello Is. to Deer Is. and the ferry from St. John to Digby (2013 schedules for these two ferries have not yet been released)...
Old 02-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
Cerberus83 OP
The Wingman

Quote:
The St. John to Digby ferry is very reliable, just don't expect a luxury passenger ferry. This is a working ferry. I believe it runs every three hours. Last time I took it, it looked as if it came off the Murmansk run. There were holes in the deck, and the "lounge" looked as if a bunch of Hell's Angels had gone through it.

I met I guy I'd been to college with, and we settled in and had a hell of a time catching up. It was a good trip, at least that portion of it.
I hope that is still the case. Based on the stuff I read, the ferry was being repaired (I think in South Carolina) and should still be in operation until next year. I found 2012 schedule and it said that it was only running two a day (noon and 8PM or so). It would be perfect if leaves between 1PM and 3PM for me, but I will just have to adjust my plan if that is not case. I never suspected that it would be a 5-star cruise liner, but the fact that it takes 3hrs to cross is something that I am looking forward to (mainly for the same reason you had mentioned but also just to chill). Plus, I need to rest so I can devour all the scallops in Digby!!

The ferry to NL on the other hand...
Old 02-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #37
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Plus, I need to rest so I can devour all the scallops in Digby!!
Don't get me started. Digby scallops are well above average. Lunenburg NS bay scallops are ambrosia -- I have a buddy who is a scalloper, and brings me the occasional bag of just-off-the-boat crack, so I know what I'm eating. I recommend those found at The Compass Rose in Lunenburg.

Also try the mussels, if they're in season. Cheap and wonderful. Also a local dish called "Solomon Gundie" or "Salmagundie," made with fresh herring and onions.

You can't go wrong with seafood in NS, unless you eat at the tourist places. Go to the docks and ask around.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:40 AM   #38
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up Canuman. I think I'm bypassing some (most?) of the "boring" southern routes/sites per other inmate's suggestions. As such, I'm basically starting the trip in Maine from Brunswick (I'm "dropping in" into Portland only to see the two lighthouses that are there).
I'm probably that "other inmate". I'd still skip the congested-and-touristy southern Maine. The route you currently show has a great middle and end, but starts with some of those roads that look promising on the map but you mostly see mailboxes and driveways that go down to the coast.

Going to points 9, 10, and 11 includes more broken pavement and less view. Owl's head, point 12, is nice, but you can't see water from most of the road to it. If point 13 is Fort Point, you don't see much water unless you go into the park. I won't say "don't go", but these, to me, represent what Canuman said about roads looking better on the map. The roads themselves all have entertaining sections and "improved" sections that are straighter.

I do like the scenery along points 14, and 15, although the road has had broken pavement for years. (Or wait, did they pave that last year??) The rest of that peninsula may be "diminishing returns". It's a nice area and does have some good road sections. There will be a closed bridge in June that'll keep you off my favorite road down there (along the far east coast of the peninsula). If you DO have extra time at that point, Deer Isle presents many fabulous roads -- on par with MDI but different in character. There are several long-and-twisty causeways down there with a 20'-wide road flanked by white-painted granite and salt water on both sides.

I think you'll enjoy all that you've mapped for MDI and the rest of the way east. The roads through Acadia park (30) are great although the speed limit is occasionally 25. Thirty-one through 44 are, to me, some of the best of coastal motorcycling in Maine. I've never been to Campobello (although I've heard rave reviews).

I like to ride my motorcycle. I don't stop a lot just for the sake of stopping or for seeing yet another village museum. I may put more distance between breakfast and lunch than other inmates are suggesting. I also enjoy my stops, and will get pretty hungry by passing up places that are too new or too twee. I'm looking for local pickup trucks in the parking lot.

You may be able to plan all these side trips then note which ones you can best skip if time is an issue. Good luck.

EDIT: Yes, point 17 is about a mile from Little Deer Isle. There's a causeway from there to Deer Isle with a public beach at the Deer Isle end. To me this is high return for time invested. For more time here, there are good roads out to Mountainville on the east side of DI and good roads down by Stonington.

Grinnin screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 04:49 AM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #39
Cerberus83 OP
The Wingman

Quote:
Don't get me started. Digby scallops are well above average. Lunenburg NS bay scallops are ambrosia -- I have a buddy who is a scalloper, and brings me the occasional bag of just-off-the-boat crack, so I know what I'm eating. I recommend those found at The Compass Rose in Lunenburg.

Also try the mussels, if they're in season. Cheap and wonderful. Also a local dish called "Solomon Gundie" or "Salmagundie," made with fresh herring and onions.

You can't go wrong with seafood in NS, unless you eat at the tourist places. Go to the docks and ask around.
I love sea food and I hear ya on touristy places! Ironically, I had one of the best and worst pizza's while in Italy (best was a small hidden local joint where no one spoke English, while the worst was at the main square.. both places are in Florence).

However, as of right now, I removed southern NS from my route and unfortunately will not be going through Lunenburg... I'm planning to stop at Fundy Restaurant in Digby (I'm sure it's a "tourist trap"), but it does have decent reviews on tripadvisor. Any other recommendations along the planned route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
I'm probably that "other inmate". I'd still skip the congested-and-touristy southern Maine. The route you currently show has a great middle and end, but starts with some of those roads that look promising on the map but you mostly see mailboxes and driveways that go down to the coast.

Going to points 9, 10, and 11 includes more broken pavement and less view. Owl's head, point 12, is nice, but you can't see water from most of the road to it. If point 13 is Fort Point, you don't see much water unless you go into the park. I won't say "don't go", but these, to me, represent what Canuman said about roads looking better on the map. The roads themselves all have entertaining sections and "improved" sections that are straighter.

I do like the scenery along points 14, and 15, although the road has had broken pavement for years. (Or wait, did they pave that last year??) The rest of that peninsula may be "diminishing returns". It's a nice area and does have some good road sections. There will be a closed bridge in June that'll keep you off my favorite road down there (along the far east coast of the peninsula). If you DO have extra time at that point, Deer Isle presents many fabulous roads -- on par with MDI but different in character. There are several long-and-twisty causeways down there with a 20'-wide road flanked by white-painted granite and salt water on both sides.

I think you'll enjoy all that you've mapped for MDI and the rest of the way east. The roads through Acadia park (30) are great although the speed limit is occasionally 25. Thirty-one through 44 are, to me, some of the best of coastal motorcycling in Maine. I've never been to Campobello (although I've heard rave reviews).

I like to ride my motorcycle. I don't stop a lot just for the sake of stopping or for seeing yet another village museum. I may put more distance between breakfast and lunch than other inmates are suggesting. I also enjoy my stops, and will get pretty hungry by passing up places that are too new or too twee. I'm looking for local pickup trucks in the parking lot.

You may be able to plan all these side trips then note which ones you can best skip if time is an issue. Good luck.

EDIT: Yes, point 17 is about a mile from Little Deer Isle. There's a causeway from there to Deer Isle with a public beach at the Deer Isle end. To me this is high return for time invested. For more time here, there are good roads out to Mountainville on the east side of DI and good roads down by Stonington.
Thanks Grinnin! Yes it is was you

Looking at Google Maps: the way I have it planned currently, York, ME to Deer Isle is approx. 261mi or 6hrs. If I remove points 9-15, Google routes me via Augusta through Belfast (keeping points 15-17); however, this does reduce the mileage to 194 or just shy of 4 hours. As such, a trip around Deer Isle is roughly 40 miles and it takes 1.5hrs (something like this). Per your suggestion, I will remove points 9-14 and the 2+ hours I gain will be spent on Deer Isle. Thanks again!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #40
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,926
Just tuning in here....

You're doing well to include the Avalon, you won't regret that. To add a little time, cut out some of the slower stuff thats not on any coastline in Maine or NB. The South Shore in NS is a really nice coastal ride as is from Halifax to Antigonish near CB Island.

I never got a definite time when your going. Looks like I may be riding from Barrie Ont to my homeland of Salmon Cove, Carbonear (which is an hr west of St. John's). It'll be Aug for me and I can meet you for some of your trip or guide you while in NF.

Also consider reversing your ferries in NF, going to PAB and riding across and coming back from Argentia. The ferry schedule may beneficial gong this way.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #41
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

If you're doing the Cabot Trail in NS, which I highly recommend, you'll find lots of this:

Ingonish Beach Provincial campground on the eastern Cabot is sweet. For the same price as a tent site, we got one of the group shelters with an electric plug and our own water tap.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #42
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Just a thought, but have you considered slabbing it up to North Sydney/Cabot trail in two long days, then making your vacation the Cabot Trail and Newfoundland? That would be back to back 700 mile days coming up and going back... But then you'd have a week and a half to explore the island and ride the Cabot Trail. That's basically what I did when I took my trip (though the slabbing bit wasn't quite as long, as I'm a bit east of you). Of course, in my mind the trip didn't start until I got off the ferry in Port aux Basques. If New England and Nova Scotia are integral parts of your trip, this wouldn't obviously be the best solution.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #43
Cerberus83 OP
The Wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Just tuning in here....

You're doing well to include the Avalon, you won't regret that. To add a little time, cut out some of the slower stuff thats not on any coastline in Maine or NB. The South Shore in NS is a really nice coastal ride as is from Halifax to Antigonish near CB Island.

I never got a definite time when your going. Looks like I may be riding from Barrie Ont to my homeland of Salmon Cove, Carbonear (which is an hr west of St. John's). It'll be Aug for me and I can meet you for some of your trip or guide you while in NF.

Also consider reversing your ferries in NF, going to PAB and riding across and coming back from Argentia. The ferry schedule may beneficial gong this way.
Tentative (80% confirmed) dates are from June 15 28. I thought about reversing the ferries, unfortunately this will not be possible since June 21 is the only date that week that the ferry is going to Argentia and the returns the following day to North Sydney. The next sail from Argentia to Sydney is the following week on June 27. Looking at the pics of Cabot Trail, I think I will have to pass on southern NS

Quote:
If you're doing the Cabot Trail in NS, which I highly recommend, you'll find lots of this:

Ingonish Beach Provincial campground on the eastern Cabot is sweet. For the same price as a tent site, we got one of the group shelters with an electric plug and our own water tap.
Cabot Trail it is! Thanks for recommending the campground. I was actually thinknig about "Arm of Gold" campground: it's closer to the ferry terminal and I would camp here two days... As previously mentioned, I'm looking for basics with potentital showers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Just a thought, but have you considered slabbing it up to North Sydney/Cabot trail in two long days, then making your vacation the Cabot Trail and Newfoundland? That would be back to back 700 mile days coming up and going back... But then you'd have a week and a half to explore the island and ride the Cabot Trail. That's basically what I did when I took my trip (though the slabbing bit wasn't quite as long, as I'm a bit east of you). Of course, in my mind the trip didn't start until I got off the ferry in Port aux Basques. If New England and Nova Scotia are integral parts of your trip, this wouldn't obviously be the best solution.
The initial idea was to just ride through New England area, but it has been my dream every since I was 3-4 to go to Newfoundland... so I'm adding it to the trip. Little bit of everything, I suppose :)

Cerberus83 screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 11:09 AM Reason: Damn copy/past again changed the txt color...
Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #44
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,926
Originally Posted by max384
Just a thought, but have you considered slabbing it up to North Sydney/Cabot trail in two long days, then making your vacation the Cabot Trail and Newfoundland?
The initial idea was to just ride through New England area, but it has been my dream every since I was 3-4 to go to Newfoundland... so I'm adding it to the trip. Little bit of everything, I suppose :)
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________
I think Max is saying to gun it to Cape Breton, ride the Trail then spend the rest of your time on the Rock.

And since you're going in Jun, it'll be cool and foggy at night, some, maybe a lot of wet weather, no traffic and if your lucky, Icebergs, caplin, and whales.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #45
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Just a thought, but have you considered slabbing it up to North Sydney/Cabot trail in two long days, then making your vacation the Cabot Trail and Newfoundland?
There are people in Maine who would be offended at this notion but I'm not one of them. You have some great Maine riding on your map, but there's also great riding north of here.

I must confess that I've never planned a trip in as much detail as this.

If you slab it to Augusta, I'd say get off at the last exit before tolls and eat at the A1 Diner in Gardner. (Mainer's use the non-toll I-295 instead of the parallel toll I-95; they're equally fast and smooth, but I-295 is shorter.)

Being a non-drinking vegetarian, my recommendations for along the coast probably won't match your preferences. There are lobster pounds and micro-breweries along the coast as far as about Hancock (just E. of Ellsworth). You will find a few lobster pounds after that, but not so thick and I can't recall a micro-brewery E. of Hancock.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote