Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #46
Cerberus83 OP
The Wingman

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus83 View Post
The initial idea was to just ride through New England area, but it has been my dream every since I was 3-4 to go to Newfoundland...
Not sure why I'm getting personal here (maybe b/c it's a great community with the same passion for riding, duh), but this is me at 3 or so years old and my first introduction to Newfoundland:

This dog is also the primary reason why I always wanted to go and visit this "mysterious and majestic" island (growing up in Croatia, I never thought this wiill be possible). Riding up there is just part of the adventure...
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #47
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,544
The showers at Ingonish Beach are great -- clean, with plenty of hot water!

Quote:
[COLOR=#cdcdcd][FONT=Verdana]
Cabot Trail it is! Thanks for recommending the campground. I was actually thinknig about "Arm of Gold" campground: it's closer to the ferry terminal and I would camp here two days... As previously mentioned, I'm looking for basics with potentital showers.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #48
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,544
If you're still planning on going through Oquossoc. ME, on your return I highly recommend that you add a few more miles and stop at Aziscoos Valley Campground in Wilson's Mills. Norman Littlehale and his wife run the place, and they are absolutely splendid people. Their campground is cheap, clean, and comfortable. It's in a beautiful location. Coin operated showers, but you can get pretty clean on a couple of quarters. They give good measure o a bundle of wood, also.

A couple of miles south, you can stop at the Mt. Dustan Country Store in Wentworth Location, NH and tuck into a bigass pulled-pork sandwich!

hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #49
McTacticool
Importer/Exporter

Oddometer: 250
Looks awesome Cerberus, kinda envious.

Met this lady during a trip last year
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=51344
On her recommendation of the area up there, I WILL take a similar trip at some point in my life.

Stay safe
McTacticool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #50
Cerberus83 OP
The Wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
There are people in Maine who would be offended at this notion but I'm not one of them. You have some great Maine riding on your map, but there's also great riding north of here.

I must confess that I've never planned a trip in as much detail as this.

If you slab it to Augusta, I'd say get off at the last exit before tolls and eat at the A1 Diner in Gardner. (Mainer's use the non-toll I-295 instead of the parallel toll I-95; they're equally fast and smooth, but I-295 is shorter.)

Being a non-drinking vegetarian, my recommendations for along the coast probably won't match your preferences. There are lobster pounds and micro-breweries along the coast as far as about Hancock (just E. of Ellsworth). You will find a few lobster pounds after that, but not so thick and I can't recall a micro-brewery E. of Hancock.
Definitely not skipping (slabbing) through Maine, but I will skip the southern coast (so my trip really starts at Augusta). Like I said, little bit of everything... Thx for the heads up on 295 vs 95 (looks like the tolls to ME will be quite pricey)

As for the planning comment... I'll take it as compliment I guess it's better to be prepared and safe than sorry... Then again, it's winter and I have nothing else better to do...

The main reason why I wanted to go to Bar Harbor in the first place was to get a beer at the "Bar Harbor Brewery" but now that I heard all the great things about it, I am even more stoked that I will be making this one of my main stops :) I am definitely grabbing a fresh lobster dinner at least one of those nights
Old 02-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #51
Cerberus83 OP
The Wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
And since you're going in Jun, it'll be cool and foggy at night, some, maybe a lot of wet weather, no traffic and if your lucky, Icebergs, caplin, and whales.
Yeah, not really looking forward to cold and wet weather, but it is what it is... Last October, I went to Ozark's and it was relatively warm and sunny the first day, rained almost the entire time we were down there and then it was sunny and freezing on the way home. Regardless I still had a blast.

I had so many different layers that I looked like a Michelin Man on my bike

Whale and iceberg watching is something that I would definitely like to experience. We'll see how things go...
Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #52
Cerberus83 OP
The Wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTacticool View Post
Looks awesome Cerberus, kinda envious.

Met this lady during a trip last year
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=51344
On her recommendation of the area up there, I WILL take a similar trip at some point in my life.

Stay safe
That is a COOL story! Thanks for sharing! It would be pretty sweet if I run into her... I'll make sure to look for the blue metallic helmet
Old 02-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #53
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,439
Quote:
(looks like the tolls to ME will be quite pricey)
And there's no ticket. It's either EZ-Pass or you get to stop at each of the toll booths for $1 or $3 or whatnot. I don't THINK there are any booths left that require coins.

Here are some tracks between Maine and Ohio that are 100% toll-free! The Hudson has tolls only south of Albany and only for eastbound traffic. If yo take I-295 N of Portland, I think that you have only a single toll booth on I-95 after that.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #54
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 794
a lot of really good advice has been give.

I think your do to much in to little time.

if you goal is to see the rock, then go to the rock.

leave the coast of maine (for reason given) and the north of maine for a nother trip.

slab it to Bangor, take RT 9 to Calis, Maine then get to NS.

once in NS, THEN take the back roads, RT 6 to Picto do the Cape Breton loop jump on ferry to st john then enjoy NL from one end to other, catch the Channel port ferry then return vai Digbly then home

skip Halifax and lower NS save them for a nother trip when you do coastal and northern maine

this is just an opion

but it your trip and you should do what you like

I have a large garage and/or back yard 1.5 miles off of I495 about 40 miles south of where you had plan to stop on your 1st night that you are welcome to overnight if you like.
as well as a couple of suggestion of where you can camp in NS off RT6 my family has a cottage up there.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #55
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Oooo! Maybe we'll pass each other...

Awesome, Cerberus83!

Hope you have a lot of fun.

I'm in the process of planning a similar trip right now, but about a week later. Maybe we'll pass each other as you return and I head out! I'll be watching this thread for suggestions to see on the way.

My girlfriend has an old friend now living in St. Johns. We're planning on heading up and taking the Argentia Ferry over on on either 6/28 or 7/1, stay for a few days, then head back on the same ferry. We're probably only able to do 300-350 mile days, as she has MS and her stamina even as a passenger is limited. I'm also more limited as to the overall length of the trip due to my available vacation time, but am coming from Southern Maine already, so that helps.

Regarding the North Sydney to Argentia Ferry: I think the website says to arrive 2 hours early for check in, check with them when you make the reservations. If I find out more when I call to make mine, I'll let you know, but you may need to plan to arrive no later than 15:00 on the day the ferry leaves. Do you or anyone know when the ferry arrives in Argentia and when to expect to be unloaded and on the road again?

My plan right now is something like:

DAY 1 - Saco ME to ~St. John NB (312 miles) - 295/95 to Bangor, Route 9 to Calais, NB-1E to St. John.
DAY 2 - ~St. John NB to ~Port Hawkesbury, NS (304 miles) - NB-1E to NB-2E to NS-104E
DAY 3 - ~Port Hawkesbury to North Sydney & the overnight ferry to Argentia NL (~100 miles, route undetermined).
DAY 4 - Argentia NL to St. Johns NL (83 miles)
DAY 4-? - Visit and explore the greater St. Johns area 2-5 nights stay, not 100% sure how long we're staying yet...
On the way home, we may push for two days to cover the 700+ miles back to Saco from North Sydney.
AlecMyrddyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #56
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,966
They want a 2 hr checkin if going to Argentia, and expect a 12hr ferry fun. We got off the ferry at 715ish.
Last august. If you want a cabin book early. I think its around 180 bucks, but you'll get a good nights sleep, a nice shower and be ready to roll in the am.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #57
Cerberus83 OP
The Wingman

Quick question for those of you that have been or live in Newfoundland: are there any gas stations along the southern Avalon coast? The reason I ask is b/c I'm using Street & Trips to plan out the route and I don't see any gas stations along Routes 90 and 10. I did Google gas stations and it appears that ESSO has 3 stations: Plancentia, St. Mary's and Trepassey, which would enable me to go from the ferry to St. John's along the southern coast w/o an alternative fuel source.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #58
Cerberus83 OP
The Wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
Awesome, Cerberus83!

Hope you have a lot of fun.
Sent you a PM...
Old 03-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #59
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Quick question for those of you that have been or live in Newfoundland: are there any gas stations along the southern Avalon coast? The reason I ask is b/c I'm using Street & Trips to plan out the route and I don't see any gas stations along Routes 90 and 10. I did Google gas stations and it appears that ESSO has 3 stations: Plancentia, St. Mary's and Trepassey, which would enable me to go from the ferry to St. John's along the southern coast w/o an alternative fuel source.

Gas is not a problem along those roads. Don't push it -- if your range is 200 miles and you're at 170 passing a gas station, go ahead and stop -- but you're not looking at 150 miles between gas stations or anything.

By the way, if you're doing this on the way to/from the Argentia ferry, do yourself a favor and also ride Rt 100 south of Placentia around the peninsula, instead of just cutting across. Awesome road.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #60
Cerberus83 OP
The Wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Gas is not a problem along those roads. Don't push it -- if your range is 200 miles and you're at 170 passing a gas station, go ahead and stop -- but you're not looking at 150 miles between gas stations or anything.

By the way, if you're doing this on the way to/from the Argentia ferry, do yourself a favor and also ride Rt 100 south of Placentia around the peninsula, instead of just cutting across. Awesome road.

--mark
Great! Thanks Mark! The plan is to hit entire "southern peninsula" (here's the map)