User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Carb overflow??

Trying to figure out a problem with my GF's DR200. Symptoms are after she puts the bike up, the gas overflows via the breather tube into the airbox and out on the garage flow. The tank has a vacum petcock which I replaced but apparently it did not fix the problem as when you pull off the fuel line gas just runs out regardless of the position of the petcock (there is no off position).

Suggestions?
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
indr

Oddometer: 1,197
Maybe you replaced with another broken petcock?

See:

indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't think the petcock is broken. I am beginning to think it may be a problem in the carb, as in bad float, stuck jet or ???
Old 02-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish John View Post
I don't think the petcock is broken. I am beginning to think it may be a problem in the carb, as in bad float, stuck jet or ???
If the petcock is working correctly it will flow when the motor is shut off only if the valve is in the "Prime" position. Therefore, you have a petcock problem.

You also have a carb problem: one or more; stuck float, bad/dirty float needle or seat, bad float valve o-ring.

You see, if the carb float system is working properly, the fuel won't overflow, even if the petcock flows fuel constantly. The petcock exists to prevent that overflow possibility.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the help. I pulled the carb and it was very dirty. Also replaced the petcock with an on off version I found. We have a snow day tomorrow so I'll have lots of time tomorrow to piddle with it.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,910
Bad needle valve/seat/needle spring/float/etc. Something is causing the needle to not seal correctly. As mentioned, even with NO petcock, a properly functioning carb should not overflow.

Since you replaced the petcock with a simple on/off version, make sure you plug the vacuum port that went to the original unit.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote