Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
The Fist OP
Knulp

Oddometer: 3,590
Garmin Map software...

I have a Garmin V and an older Streetpilot...For city stuff and around town, I use the metroguide and love it....however....for dirt riding and exploration, I've been using the now discontinued Roads and Recreation which seemed to have more little roads/trails than the metroguide but doesnt offer auto-routing (which is fine, but would be nice)

...but...Im looking to upgrade...what is the standard software for Garmin units that will actually show you the jeep trails, forest roads, etc. ?

I also have the full set of 3-D topo software maps made by Delorme...would these work on the Garmin?
The Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:22 PM   #2
TIM I.
and some dry white toast

Oddometer: 357
There is a newer version of metroguide available. I've compared an older metroguide v4 to the latest city navigator v6 and to my surprise , CN showed all the dirt roads, class B etc for an upcoming ride, that metroguide didn't. (Iowa)

so it could be that a newer metroguide may be what you need. Since yours also takes City Select, that may be the ticket too. (a newer version)

don't know about non garmin maps in the garmin unit though.

I've emailed garmin with specific questions on example roads that older software is missing that new software had, and they answered my questions. cartography@garmin.com

I tried putting CN in my original Street Pilot and 76s. it didn't work for me. the garmin site lists the specific mapsource products that will go in the V.
TIM I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:42 AM   #3
BWalker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
TOPO shows fire roads and hiking trails as well as a lot of backroads. I use it instead of Metroguide V.5 when doing the backroads. TOPO has more of the back country info too.
Pittsburg,Tx
BWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:32 AM   #4
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
stay away from the new metroguide, it does not autoroute inside the gps like city select and older MG does.
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:00 AM   #5
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Here in AZ R&R still shows *way* more dirt roads (and there are a lot of 'em out here) than any of the rest, even Topo. Topo's data is sooooo way out date, very difficult to read on the unit and it gobbles memory with a voracious appetite. CS/CN don't even come close to R&R in the backcountry out here, but what they do show is much more likely to be "GS'able" where as R&R shows stuff that is too gnarly for many motos. MG was the closest to R&R but you have to zoom in more to see it. R&R takes so little memory (less than 10MB for all of AZ) I just load it regardless of what else I put in for anywhere I might off-road out here...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:50 AM   #6
The Fist OP
Knulp

And if I install City Select and R&R on the same computer, I can just choose which map I want, right ?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:51 AM   #7
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist
And if I install City Select and R&R on the same computer, I can just choose which map I want, right ?
Yes, that's what I have.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:49 AM   #8
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

And you can install them both on the GPS too. You can select one or the other easily. If you select both, depending on the unit (and the mode) it will decide which map to use...
Old 07-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #9
The Fist OP
Knulp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ
And you can install them both on the GPS too. You can select one or the other easily. If you select both, depending on the unit (and the mode) it will decide which map to use...

Really? Can I install both maps on the Garmin V?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:52 PM   #10
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

I've only spent a little time with the "V", but I would be very surprised if you can't. Every mapping unit I've had from the eMap, III+, etc. onwards has supported that...
Old 07-06-2005, 03:25 PM   #11
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
yes

Quote:
Really? Can I install both maps on the Garmin V?
if you want to see the one that does not have prioriete all the time,
go into maps and uncheck the one you do not want to see at the time.
also,the new rec lakes is supposed to have alot of street maps like r&r used too,without using up all the memory.three different cds cover the us
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #12
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
I've been using U.S.Recreational Lakes and Fishing Hot Spots (FHS) v5. It doesn't have quite as many "trails" as R&R did but then again I'm not using it to Hike. It seems to fill the gap between CS and TOPO. It's hard to tell if FHS has newer maps than R&R. Still FHS is an older map set than the CS.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #13
Curmudgeon
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 1,021
When your Right your Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ
Here in AZ R&R still shows *way* more dirt roads (and there are a lot of 'em out here) than any of the rest, even Topo. Topo's data is sooooo way out date, very difficult to read on the unit and it gobbles memory with a voracious appetite. CS/CN don't even come close to R&R in the backcountry out here, but what they do show is much more likely to be "GS'able" where as R&R shows stuff that is too gnarly for many motos. MG was the closest to R&R but you have to zoom in more to see it. R&R takes so little memory (less than 10MB for all of AZ) I just load it regardless of what else I put in for anywhere I might off-road out here...
Steve is spot on. I use TOPO at home to research the steepness of the trails, but the maps are not accurate. Where as, R&R has much more accurate roads / trails. I could live without the TOPO maps, but R&R is da bomb!

Patrick
Old 07-07-2005, 12:08 PM   #14
The Fist OP
Knulp

How do I upload addt'l R&R maps without erasing the existing CitySelect maps that have been previously uploaded to the V? Is there an order ? R&R first, then City Select? or is there a way to upload both at the same time ?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #15
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
How do I upload addt'l R&R maps without erasing the existing CitySelect maps that have been previously uploaded to the V? Is there an order ? R&R first, then City Select? or is there a way to upload both at the same time ?
Each time you load any map into the GPS unit, all the old maps are erased. What you do is highlight the maps you want in both packages for a single upload. The map tab on the left side of the toolbar allows yoou to switch between maps without altering the area selections on the previous map. They all upload together.

R-dubb
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote