Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #16
The Fist OP
Knulp

Oddometer: 3,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
Each time you load any map into the GPS unit, all the old maps are erased. What you do is highlight the maps you want in both packages for a single upload. The map tab on the left side of the toolbar allows yoou to switch between maps without altering the area selections on the previous map. They all upload together.

R-dubb
Kick ass...thanks....
The Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:49 PM   #17
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist
Kick ass...thanks....
There is one more little detail I forgot to mention. If you load maps that overlap, meaning they cover the same area as one another. The GPS unit has a hierarchy as to which map is used on the display. If you are not seeing information from the map you expect to see, you go into the map setup menu and unclick the map that is dominating. The other one will then display. It can become confusing if the same area is covered by more than one map. I try to not overlap, but sometimes the break-lines don't match from one package to another. Hope this isn't too confusing.

R-dubb
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:08 PM   #18
The Fist OP
Knulp

And this all works for the V, right ?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:13 AM   #19
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist
And this all works for the V, right ?
For every Garmin mapping GPS
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:50 AM   #20
The Fist OP
Knulp

Thanks everyone -- Im gonna give it a try tonight ...
Old 07-09-2005, 11:47 AM   #21
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
just for a second

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
If you load maps that overlap, meaning they cover the same area as one another. The GPS unit has a hierarchy as to which map is used on the display. If you are not seeing information from the map you expect to see, you go into the map setup menu and unclick the map that is dominating. The other one will then display.

R-dubb
for a micro second i have seen it draw and vanish the other mapset just before it draws the one it will show.this happens each time you zoom in and out
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #22
The Fist OP
Knulp

something is wrong here...

my gps v (despite multiple attempts at uploading) will not show any R&R maps...

How do I change which map Im looking at ? I could find it anywhere...

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:10 PM   #23
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
There's some good advice in this thread. I'll just amplify to say that I typically use City Select mostly which is almost as good as Roads and Rec, although R&R is better in some places. The problem with R&R is that it doesn't auto-route on GPS's that support it. So I mostly use City Select.

I've never come to peace with Topo. It chews up memory like crazy and the road information seems to be from 1954. So you really have to be into the elevation information to make that worth using.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:29 AM   #24
The Fist OP
Knulp

Well, heres the deal....

I tried to install only the R&R on my PC...
Install worked but the GPS V refused to show any maps that I uploaded. There might have been a problem with the upload as it didn't take very long...

After repeated attempts at uploading R&R maps to the V, I un-installed the software and installed City Select. I selected a few maps and uploaded them (successfully) the GPS V.

Now, the question is, how do I get CitySelect/Mapsource to recognize R&R maps ?
I have enough room to put both on the V, but if I install R&R it tends to wipe out the City Select. I don't want to do a complete install, just the maps...

Also, I could not find where on the GPS V to choose which maps Im viewing so I can switch from CS to R&R.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:16 AM   #25
Foto Veloce
The Free Radical

Oddometer: 376
Metro Guide v6

I just purchased the software for my GPSMAP 76 and found out that most of the dirt and fire roads are well covered by this version. I'm quite impressed actually! Still wish it cam with the units but.. whatever.. :/ I've not tried the TOPO but my other TOPO software is sort of hard to read (Delorme) even on the big computer screen for trails.. (maybe I'm just stupid? ).

I will say the PC map interfaces is SUPER cheesy... but it does have the roads. I looks more like a $30 piece of software, not $115 but hey.. I've called Garmin in the past and in no WAY will they offer an API to allow other software to generate map data for their units. They feel thier software is 'superior' (to a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, maybe).

Ranting aside about the UI it does work well on the GPS unit once loaded.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #26
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

So you've installed multiple map databases in MapSource but don't get a drop-down like the following to select from?

The way it is supposed to work is that you select an "active map" from this dropdown and select the map regions you want to transfer to the GPS by using the map region tool. They appear in the list under the Maps tab below. You can select maps from lots of different databases and they're all queued up in the list. Then you do a Transfer > Send to Device ... with the Maps checkbox checked - this wipes out all the maps on the GPS and replaces them with the ones queued up in MapSource. It will prompt you to swap CDs during the upload if required.

On how to select which maps are visible on the GPS, on a 60CS you go to the map screen, press Menu, and select Setup Map from the menu. You then get a menu to enable or disable any particular map. This may not be applicable to the V though.

- Mark
Old 09-08-2005, 08:22 AM   #27
The Fist OP
Knulp

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
So you've installed multiple map databases in MapSource but don't get a drop-down like the following to select from?

No -- I havent been able to install just the map database for R&R...how do I install just the maps, but not the whole program ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
On how to select which maps are visible on the GPS, on a 60CS you go to the map screen, press Menu, and select Setup Map from the menu. You then get a menu to enable or disable any particular map. This may not be applicable to the V though.
Can anyone else verify that this option is available on the V?

(BTW -- thanks alot Mark...very informative )
Old 02-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #28
mhambone

Oddometer: n/a
Garmin "Roads and Recreation" software

I just bought a new Husky 510 and a Garmin 76 cx. I have heard that Garmin's "Roads and Recreation" software is the best for off road. I know it's discontinued but where can I get a copy? I've looked on ebay and Amozon with no luck. Would anybody be willing to burn me a copy? If not, what is next best? City navigator?
Old 02-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #29
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhambone
I just bought a new Husky 510 and a Garmin 76 cx. I have heard that Garmin's "Roads and Recreation" software is the best for off road. I know it's discontinued but where can I get a copy? I've looked on ebay and Amozon with no luck. Would anybody be willing to burn me a copy? If not, what is next best? City navigator?
I've been reading that same thing over and over, that R&R is the prefered map, but where can I get it? I just got a new Garmin 60CSX and have discovered that the base map is worthless.

Anyone?
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #30
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor
I've been reading that same thing over and over, that R&R is the prefered map, but where can I get it?
R&R was discontinued over five years ago. There are used and pirated copies floating around (e.g., CL, Ebay, friends willing to make a copy for you, etc.).

I'd never call it the "preferred" map. It's old and spotty in coverage. It doesn't auto-route either. But its cheap and doesn't have the issues of getting it unlocked. City Navigator is generally the best overall database to get and it auto-routes, but its not cheap and you have to go through the unlock hassles. In my experience CN handles backroads as least as well as anything else in Garmin's maps.

- Mark