Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
bamaroll29 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Question Can anyone help me out with my clutch?

I have a 1998 Ke100 that I'm working on. I have the service manual but it says nothing specific to my question...

I've removed the clutch to unstick the plates. I have it fixed and need to install it back onto the idling shaft. When the shaft sticks out of the crankcase, there is a washer, then a big spring that goes into the back of the clutch hub, then the plates go on, then the clutch plate with mini springs, and then to hold it all on there is another washer and a CIRCLIP. My question is, is the circlip supposed to be flush with the clutch pushed back exposing a little of the end of the idle shaft, or is the circlip supposed to be at the very end of the the shaft allowing the clutch assembly to move a little bit? It's not a huge gap, but I feel like the circlip needs to be in the right place. Also, there is an arrow on my clutch plate that is not mentioned in my manual. Does anyone know what this could be?
Thanks for any advice!
bamaroll29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaroll29 View Post
I have a 1998 Ke100 that I'm working on. I have the service manual but it says nothing specific to my question...

I've removed the clutch to unstick the plates. I have it fixed and need to install it back onto the idling shaft. When the shaft sticks out of the crankcase, there is a washer, then a big spring that goes into the back of the clutch hub, then the plates go on, then the clutch plate with mini springs, and then to hold it all on there is another washer and a CIRCLIP. My question is, is the circlip supposed to be flush with the clutch pushed back exposing a little of the end of the idle shaft, or is the circlip supposed to be at the very end of the the shaft allowing the clutch assembly to move a little bit? It's not a huge gap, but I feel like the circlip needs to be in the right place. Also, there is an arrow on my clutch plate that is not mentioned in my manual. Does anyone know what this could be?
Thanks for any advice!
I'm not familiar with that particular bike, but circlips usually fit into
a particular notch. Also, if it helps, clutches stick together if
they are dry, or sit without use for long periods. The bonded plates
should be cleaned, then soaked with clean oil before installation.....
It may help to pull up a schematic of the clutch on Bike Bandit or similar site as below:
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...9725#sch429768
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
bamaroll29 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleDoc59 View Post
I'm not familiar with that particular bike, but circlips usually fit into
a particular notch. Also, if it helps, clutches stick together if
they are dry, or sit without use for long periods. The bonded plates
should be cleaned, then soaked with clean oil before installation.....
It may help to pull up a schematic of the clutch on Bike Bandit or similar site as below:
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...9725#sch429768

Perfect answer, I just checked the shaft and it has a little notch for it to go. I overlook the smallest things! Theres also another notch further down the shaft...still don't know what that one's for though. I read that the arrow on the spring plate is is supposed to line up with a dot or something on the clutch hub. Correct me if I'm wrong though. I will be soaking the clutch plates before putting them back together as well.
bamaroll29 is offline   Reply With Quote