Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #31
Tar snakes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
It looks like you guys had a great holiday. Thanks for sharing your ride report and excellent pictures - it is a lot of work to put together a report as good as this. The GOR part of your trip is very familiar to me and you've done a great job of capturing it. Blanket Bay to Apollo Bay and back is a brilliant ride through the sweepers - we rode the GOR part of it today.

Cheers.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #32
TanMcG OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyston View Post
thanks guys. im learning all about the adventure riding now, after years or superbikes and track days..these are the reports and pics that are making it a worthwhile decision to change and experience it all , thanks
Good luck with the change! I'm sure you'll have a blast, I know I am
TanMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #33
TanMcG OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastimentos View Post
Nice one guys, good effort on the RR, chockas full of pics and stories - not sure what all this running is about though, I'm always keen for a nice sit down during a long ride so you guys must be fitter than me.
I totally get that you don't understand the running. I tell you what, sometimes I wonder what the heck I'm doing too

Thanks for the comment. I'm finding it quite fun going over the pics and remembering the stories that went with them. Especially since it already seems like such a long time ago, what with being back at work again!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:30 AM   #34
TanMcG OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar snakes View Post
It looks like you guys had a great holiday. Thanks for sharing your ride report and excellent pictures - it is a lot of work to put together a report as good as this. The GOR part of your trip is very familiar to me and you've done a great job of capturing it. Blanket Bay to Apollo Bay and back is a brilliant ride through the sweepers - we rode the GOR part of it today.

Cheers.
We definitely had a great holiday. Thanks for reading and commenting. It makes the hard work worthwhile when you hear people are enjoying reading the fruits of your labour

The ride between Apollo Bay and Blanket Bay is a pretty awesome one. Although last time we were down this way we had to ride in and out to Apollo Bay for dinner in the pouring rain and pitch black. Not so fun!! But this trip we were lucky for near perfect weather the whole time.

Am immensely jealous of your ride today. Would love to have been out on the bike!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #35
TanMcG OP
Adventurer

Day 9 - Halls Gap to Portland

Our route for the day

Last night we decided that today we would move on from Halls Gap and head back to the coast. We would like to stay in Bridgewater Bay as we’ve stayed in accommodation there on a previous holiday. Looking on the Internet we discover that there is only one park where camping is available. jmcg tries calling them this morning but there is no answer. While eating breakfast and getting ready to go, we plug in the iPad and camera battery in the camp kitchen to get a bit of charge.

We ride out to the town of Hamilton again, and jmcg tries calling the camping ground again. Eventually he gets through, but they have no availability for tonight. We don’t have a plan B so stop to pore over the map and iPad while having a coffee (jmcg) and hot chocolate (me). We decide on a caravan park in Portland. We will be walking distance to town for dinner and within riding distance of Bridgewater Bay so we can still go for a hike out to the seal colony an activity that I have been looking forward to.

At the caravan park in Portland we have our choice of unpowered sites and choose a spot under a tree and as sheltered from the wind as possible.

After setting up the tent and unloading the sleeping gear we ride up the street in search of lunch. We stop at a bakery, intending to find some nice rolls to take away, but get excited when we see the menu that includes hot chicken & cheese rolls and others with pork & applesauce. I order a pork roll, I can already taste it, but the lady tells me that they have no pork today. For the second time today I have no plan B, and confused I go with a turkey & cranberry sauce roll. After waiting for a ridiculously long time our rolls arrive and they are a serious disappointment for the money that we forked out on them. Must try not to get distracted from the mission next time!

After lunch we ride out to Bridgewater Bay and dress for the hike out to Cape Bridgewater and the seal colony.

We make it to the first look out point and find nothing apart from fierce wind!

We are making our way over to the next lookout point when I spot a kangaroo in the distance. Then slowly we become aware that there is not one kangaroo, but an entire mob of kangaroos spread out in the area between the lookout and us. We walk slowly towards them and some bounce off out of the way, but some of them decide to hold their ground.

Yes friends, this is a MASSIVE male kangaroo!! My heart was in my mouth, my eyes locked firmly on the ground, my thoughts on the fact that he surely weighs at least twice as much as I do and my prayers going out that he doesn’t decide to take a dislike to us!

We get safely past the roos and out onto the super windy lookout. To my delight there are seals down below!!

The zoom on our little camera gets a workout trying to turn the little dots into seal shapes!

We enjoyed the sight of the seals frolicking, then made our way back to the parking area where we put on our thongs (or as I’m writing for an international audience I am probably better off referring to them as flip flops… ) and headed to the beachside café.

We enjoyed a piece of lemon slice, a coffee (jmcg) and a chai latte (me). I know, a bit abnormal for me to have a caffeinated drink, but every now and then one needs a change! Then we took a walk on the beach.

An occassional wave that was bigger and more boisterous than the others splashed up on me giving me quite the surprise!

Next stop was Cape Nelson to check out the lighthouse. This turned out to be one of my least favourite experiences from this holiday. For starters there were far too many march flies, then while I was getting something out of the top box the lid fell down and smashed across the back of my bare hand (OUCH!), and to top it off the lighthouse was closed and fenced off for maintenance.

Needless to say we didn’t stay there long before riding back to Portland. Stopped at a lookout on the way back and the Tiger insisted on having a look too!

Back at the campsite we rugged up against the wind and took a walk into town to explore and get dinner. I couldn’t resist stopping for a turn on the snail at the playground just outside the caravan park. But I learned the hard way not to rock too hard as I literally smashed it down onto the ground on the forward swing!! Good thing I’m not a boy

Portland is a busy deep-water seaport.

Enjoying some local artwork.

This cannon is more my size!!

If you like reading plaques, then you should definitely come to Portland. They have plaques on monuments, buildings, rocks, historical items, and well pretty much everything!

We split a roast chicken & pumpkin pizza for dinner before making a quick stop at the supermarket and then wandering back to the caravan park where we fired up the trusty JetBoil for our nightly cuppas, ate chocolate and used up some free caravan park wifi.

End of day kms

(Todays total was 265kms)
Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #36
kawi_girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Enjoying your RR, thanks for all the time you took to write it. Australia is such a different landscape than what I'm used to, yet so much of your trip feels similar to the trips I've taken here in Canada and the USA. Mainly the focus on the little side trips and viewpoints and the ever important 'what are we eating today'....I had to laugh at this as I like to keep a journal on our travels and I always include the food we had. Somehow it helps me remember the trip better!

How did you enjoy traveling two up? I think that I would find it frustrating, as I enjoy riding so much. In fact the best thing about rest stops is starting up my bike and getting back on the road! Yet I've never gone a great distance on the back of a bike so I'm not in a position to say for certain.

Ride safe, ride (very) far!

Previous Ride: 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500ex
kawi_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #37
TanMcG OP
Adventurer

Hi KawiGirl

Canada is pretty high on my list of places to travel, so I hope to read about your journeys some time!

Thanks for coming along on this ride! Am glad you are enjoying the food angle, I agree that remembering what we ate helps my memory of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi_girl View Post
How did you enjoy traveling two up? I think that I would find it frustrating, as I enjoy riding so much. In fact the best thing about rest stops is starting up my bike and getting back on the road! Yet I've never gone a great distance on the back of a bike so I'm not in a position to say
Good question about riding two up. My earliest memories of motorbikes is riding pillion with my dad as a child (one of the most vivid is climbing on the bike in shorts after he came in from a ride and scoring a massive blister on my bare leg from the exhaust!) so I thought that being a pillion now would be easy.

But I found that having ridden myself it's a little different. The first couple of times I got on behind jmcg I thought to myself that it just wasn't the same or quite as fun as riding the bike myself. BUT, I have gotten used to it, and it actually has some pretty cool benefits! I can just sit back, relax, and take in scenery (even take photos as we go) without having to worry about road conditions, where we are going, where to park up, etc. Occasionally I get a little too relaxed back there, and despite my efforts to tell my eyelids off, I may have taken a quick nap or two accidentally!! Plus, as we are sitting so close it's possible to enjoy a 'moment' together. He might pat me on the leg, and it's pretty easy for me to give him a hug (or a whack if needed!). And there is the cost saving bonus of only paying for petrol for one bike while away on holidays.

I still love riding myself, but it's pretty safe to say that I also enjoy riding two up.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #38
TanMcG OP
Adventurer

Day 10 – Portland to Princetown

Our route for the day

Last night we discovered that there was another motorbike rider camping in the caravan park. We had a brief chat on our way out to dinner as he was pulling up. It seems he had recently arrived on the mainland from Tasmania and was heading to Adelaide to a mates place before spending some of the next three months travelling. He was also packing up this morning and rode over to say goodbye. We all wished each other safe travels and went out separate ways. Sadly, I completely forgot to catch his name!

Before bidding farewell to Portland we had a few more stops to make including a ride out onto the breakwater.

A stop at the little lighthouse

We stopped at Bayview College, attracted by some strange looking statues in the yard. And it just wouldn’t be Portland without some plaques to read!!

If anyone has any idea what this statue was all about I’d be grateful for the input. The others all seemed to make sense and seemed to relate to different subjects/fields of study or activities like swimming and sport. But this one had us stumped. Amongst other things she appears to have a rabbit trap on her head!

We were quite happy to be heading back this way as we passed through Port Fairy this morning and stopped in at RockSalt for coffee (jmcg), hot chocolate (me) and a shared piece of choc/caramel slice. They did not disappoint! Then up the road to Warrnambool. We had been discussing equipment that would be good for future travels and stopped in at the George Taylor store in Warrnambool for a look at camping gear and found a Panther out front to keep the Tiger company.

We picked up some picnic lunch supplies at the supermarket then rode to the lake to eat. After lunch we rode to Thunder Point for a little wander and to take in the views.

We are heading in the direction of Princetown today, but rather than cover all the same ground as we did on the westward leg, we decide to go to a few new places. We make a stop at a beautiful spot called Childers Cove.

At the opposite end of the beach was a big rock formation and it seems that someone (perhaps pirates!) has carved some steps into the rock. jmcg bravely climbs up onto the rock to check them out, but they look quite weathered and a little too close to the edge for comfort.

(In motorbike boots, anyway!! jmcg)

Back at the bike it is a relief to get the gear and helmets back on, as there are an inordinate amount of flies hanging around here!

We decide to detour through Timboon as jmcg thinks there might be a big cheese factory out there, and who doesn’t like cheese? We ride into Timboon and I’m looking hard for any sign that might lead us to a cheese factory (I don’t want to miss something this time, not like the pizza incident from earlier in the holiday!). No good. I suggest we stop at a tourist map, and I dismount and search the map and surrounding advertisements for anything cheese related. We are still out of luck, so we pull into a service station for petrol and directions. When I ask the lady behind the counter about a big cheese factory she tells that they don’t have one, but loads me up with some brochures for other attractions in the area.

Sad and cheeseless we ride on to Princetown where we head to the Recreation Reserve that we scoped out when we passed through here on day 3. There is no one at the office but a sign directs us to set up and catch up with them when they return. We choose a quiet reasonably sheltered spot and get set up.

Then we ride up to the shops to check out the bistro where we will come later for dinner and sit down to a coffee (jmcg) and ice cream (me). It’s pretty hot outside and the Tiger’s stand appears to be sinking into the asphalt!

We ride the short distance back to the camp ground and decide to take a walk to beach to cool down. The first track that we come across is a little underwater.

jmcg walks to the end of the flooded section and tells me that the path continues onto dry land so I remove my shoes and socks and take the plunge along the trail. Unfortunately I have barely got my shoes and socks back on when we arrive another flooded section. jmcg wades out to check the depth. But after it reaches past his knees and doesn’t look like getting shallower any time soon, we decide to turn around and try for another trail. So its shoes off again!

We eventually do make it to the beach where we walk around to the far end to explore the rocks.

We were both getting hungry so walked back to the tent to get ready for dinner, then walked over the boardwalk and up to the bistro for dinner. When we visited earlier in the day the lady said that they serve dinner anytime, so we were a bit surprised on arrival to be told that we could order, but we wouldn’t get our food for at least 45mins as they had buses due to arrive who had pre-ordered their meals which would have to be served first. With nothing else for it (they were the only place open for dinner in Princetown) we took a seat to wait for our meals. When they eventually arrived we had to wait for someone to go and find more cutlery as the container on the bar only contained a single knife and a pile of spoons! The meals were not the best quality and we left feeling rather unhappy about the experience. After this and the earlier Nelson experience we have decided that it might be best not to dine at the only place in town that is open for dinner!!

We walked back to the campsite, then over to the amenities block for a quick shower and to wash a few pieces of laundry. When I got back to the tent jmcg was already inside. He called out to me to be careful not to let any mosquitoes into the tent as they were everywhere! I quickly unzipped the tent and dived in. Looks like there wouldn’t be any cuppas before bed tonight! We watched a bit of tv on the iPad then went to sleep.

End of day kms

(bringing today’s total to 246kms)
Old 03-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #39
TanMcG OP
Adventurer

Day 11 – Princetown to Emerald

I shall start today’s report by apologizing in advance for the lack of photos. It wasn’t a very exciting day and involved a lot of riding and as you will see not a great deal of opportunities to take fun pics along the way.

Our route for the day

We awoke to find that everything outside was wet! Our washing was actually wetter than when we had hung out it out last night and the tent was dripping with moisture. It hadn’t rained, but I think that there must have been a thick, wet fog come in during the night.

We unpegged the tent and walked it out to a sunny patch of ground while we ate breakfast and packed up the rest of our belongings. Then as it really hadn’t dried out we wiped the tent down as best we could with a towel and got it packed up too. Loaded up we hit the road with the goal of staying in Lorne (the same place we stayed on night 1) for the night and potentially hanging around there for an extra day as we still had a couple of days before we were due home (plus, we know that we can get our hands on reliably good meals!).

Along the way we stopped to check out the camping area at Johanna Beach as jmcg had heard that it was a nice spot and we were interested in staying there on a future trip. The campground was super busy, and we could see why, the beach is beautiful.

We stopped in Apollo Bay for a quick stretch of the legs and snack break. Found the following post beside the car park and I think the last sign is rather amusing.

As we continued along the Great Ocean Road getting closer to Lorne I noticed that the traffic was starting to get very busy. Now I am usually pretty relaxed on the back of the bike (as evidenced by the fact that I have been known to take the occasional nap!) but this day I kept finding myself clinging tightly to jmcg as we came up behind slow moving tourists and cars towing caravans, and cars coming in the opposite direction were coming a little too close for comfort over our side of the white line. We pulled up in Lorne and the town was absolutely stuffed full of holidaymakers. Even if there was an available space at the caravan park we decided that we didn’t want to stay anyway.

Stopped and shared some chicken, chips and gravy (one of my all time favourite take out foods) except it was ridiculous tourist rip off prices with a tiny jug of gravy costing $3!! We were careful to scrape every last drop from the pot so as not to waste the precious liquid! Then a walk down the beach revealed that there was some kind of whale boat races going on.

We made the decision that as every town we had passed along the coast on the way here today was packed solid with tourists that we would push on all the way home today. Then after a good nights sleep in our own bed repack and head down to one of our favourite camping destinations tomorrow. The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. To get away from the tourist traffic we got off the Great Ocean Road and took a back way through Deans Marsh to Geelong. We made a couple of short stops for refreshments and to ease the pain in my butt before arriving home in the afternoon.

End of day kms

(No wonder I had such a sore derriere, todays total was 347kms!)
Old 03-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #40
TanMcG OP
Adventurer

Day 12 – Emerald to Wilsons Prom

Last night we made a trip to the supermarket to find some foods that would be suitable for our breakfast, lunch and dinners as there is nowhere open for dinner at the Prom and the prices at the little food store that is open during the day is heavily marked up to take advantage of the tourist trade. As our only form of heating/cooking is the JetBoil we decide on canned soup, packets of flavoured couscous and traveller porridge. Plus primas to drink and our usual cuppa supplies. We also dug out a little pot we used to take camping, a pair of plastic mugs and a couple of spoons (there will be no taking turns with a single teaspoon for the next couple of days!).

Our route for the day

Well rested from a night in our own bed, we got up early and re-packed the bike. Our first stop was in Leongatha at the McDonalds store to take advantage of a free coffee token jmcg had found earlier in the trip. Then we filled up on petrol and made a quick dash to the supermarket for fresh bread rolls and essential chocolate snacks!

Then we were ready to roll and we pushed on towards to Wilsons Promonotory. On the way there we came across several temporary road signs warning of traffic hazards ahead. And when they said hazards they weren’t kidding! There were some holes in the sealed road big enough to swallow a caravan!! Thankfully jmcg skillfully navigated around them and we made it safely to the Prom.

Pics from the road.

We rode around the camping ground scoping out sites to find the perfect one. And we found it in site number 413 – sheltered from wind, shaded, short walk to beach and amenities and best of all no neighbours!

Our first activity after setting up the tent was to walk to the shop for ice creams

We then went for a paddle in Tidal River

And took a walk around Norman Bay beach

After our explorations we wandered back to the tent for a little rest, a cuppa and to write a postcard. While walking around we had noticed several numbered photo boards with information and pictures about flooding that had occurred here in March 2011.

We decided it would be fun to find all the boards and went to the visitor centre to get a map showing the locations off all the boards. I had looked around almost all the information stands and still hadn’t found the map, so I asked the man behind the counter. He took me over to the one stand I hadn’t looked at, the ‘Junior Ranger’ stand (that contained info and activities for children!!) and handed me a map.

We made our way around the trail and found all the photoboards.

I don’t know why this is a children’s activity, we found it quite interesting. Maybe this says something about our mental age…

I found several well used looking wombat burrows and was getting excited about the wombats that we might see tonight.

jmcg thought this totally twisted tree was pretty cool.

We cooked up some soup and couscous for dinner using the JetBoil and are still both very impressed with this little unit. Can’t believe how long the little gas tank has lasted!

After dinner we took a walk to the end of Norman Bay beach and it was lovely and quiet since all the families and children had either gone home or returned to their caravans/tents. We sat on a big rock up the end of beach to watch the sunset, but a couple of European wasps turned up so we got out of there pretty quick!

On the walk back up the beach we found a teeny tiny scuttler

The sun just about to disappear.

There were some thick clouds coming in to cover the mountains in the distance and the setting sun turned them into pink fairy floss.

The well-known Whale Rock is looking a bit sad since the floods in 2011 that caused some landslides down the hill.

Once the sun disappeared it was pretty windy and a bit cool to be out in shorts and t-shirts so we made our way back towards the tent. Came across a couple of wombats on the way that I was pretty excited about. We did take some photos but without using the flash they are pretty much just squares of blackness!

We boiled up some water for our evening cuppas and the JetBoil gas canister ran out at last. Shouldn’t have mentioned it earlier, I fear we may have jinxed it! Good thing we brought a spare with us. We drank our cuppas and munched on M&Ms before getting ready and turning in for the night.

End of day kms

(bringing todays total to 195kms)
Old 03-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #41
Shivanshu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I am loving this, the Tiger looks good and comfortable with all that isnt it.... Great holiday you all had
Shivanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 AM   #42
TanMcG OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
I am loving this, the Tiger looks good and comfortable with all that isnt it.... Great holiday you all had
Glad you have enjoyed. The Tiger was an excellent steed carrying both of us and our gear, no problems

Sorry I have been so slow with the last couple of instalments, back at work and university now! Will try and get the last couple of days finished and up tonight..
Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #43
TanMcG OP
Adventurer

Day 13 – Wilsons Prom

Today feels like I’m cheating: I’m writing a ride report but we didn’t do any riding! This map gives an overview of Wilsons Prom showing location of Tidal River camping ground and the 3 beaches we walked to today and you can actually see most of the walking tracks we took.

It seems we have been a bit slack the last couple of days so the first activity on todays agenda is a run! We decide on a slightly longer distance, about 5km, as we’ve got a fun run coming up in a couple of days where we will have to run 8km so need to make sure I am still able to run a reasonable distance. It was a really pleasant morning and as we headed out of the camping ground we barely saw another living soul moving around.

Back at the tent and feeling good we made breakfast and discussed the plans for the days exploring. An essential visit when at the Prom is Squeaky Beach, where if you remove your shoes and scuff through the beautiful white sand you actually make a squeaking sound. The day was looking like it was going to be a warm one so we filled a water bottle and donned our shorts and walking shoes. As we crossed the bridge over tidal river I caught sight of some movement down on the mud.

Where at first I thought there were about 3 or 4 little mud crabs scuttling about there were actually hundreds!! When they caught a glimpse of our movement they all made a mad dash for their holes.

Play 'spot the crab; in this photo on super zoom.

I could tell the day was going to be a good one as we had already located so many Scuttlers!!

The view up Tidal River to Norman Bay Beach (note the person floating down river on their inflatable mattress!).

We walked the trail around to Squeaky Beach and pretty much had the place to ourselves.

So we walked the length of the beach (yes, I took off my shoes and squeaked!) and explored around the rocks at the far end before locating the path that leads around to the next beach that is accessible by foot and named Picnic Bay. For those of you with really good eyesight you may be able to see jmcg in the background sitting amongst the rocks (or perhaps just a little dash of green? Yep, that’s him!)

After exploring Picnic Bay a bit we decided to start the hike back as it was getting pretty warm now and water was starting to run a bit low. Now I know I’m a bit geographically challenged but on the way back I was just following jmcg and obviously missed the signpost because I found myself clambering over big rocks in the path and saying “I don’t remember going over these before.” Jmcg looked at me stupidly and said “that’s because we didn’t come this way before! We’re on a different track.” Oops, I guess I lose points for not being observant!

But then I made up for my lack of navigational skills by finding the biggest scuttler of our trip!!

Ok, I’ll admit he wasn’t really much of a scuttler with a big old belly like that, but he is pretty well camouflaged! I poked my head in the picture and you can get a bit of scale about his size (if you can find him amongst the leaves!).

The change in track brought us out on a beautiful lookout called Pillar Point. This is looking back at Norman Bay Beach where we are camped.

After a short rest to enjoy the view we wandered back to the tent for some lunch. And then owing to the fact it was a hot day and more to the point, I really like icecream, we walked to the shop for ice creams! To cool down we decided it was time for a swim, and changed into swimwear and went down to the beach. The water was cold and refreshing but I wasn’t in long before I started to get a bit chilly and grew goosebumps on my arms. We lay in the shallows for a while where the water warmed up a bit on its journey in over the sand. However this also resulted in jmcgs shorts filling up with sand!! When we had had enough of a soak we took a quick swim to rinse out the sand and then walked back to the shop for a cold drink, a snack and the newspaper.

jmcg read the paper while I took a paddle in Tidal River. The rest of the night was a bit of a repeat of last night, with dinner heated up on the JetBoil, a walk on the beach, cuppa and M&Ms and then into bed. Just after climbing into bed (well, laying on top of the bed really as it was still hot), I heard a rustling out my side of the tent. I sat up and shone the torch out into the night and there was a wombat standing right there next to me.

Perfect end to a pretty relaxing day!

End of day kms

As you might have already guessed our total kms on the bike today is ZERO, but we took the photo anyway to check that the Tiger hadn't snuck out without us!!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #44
TanMcG OP
Adventurer

Day 14 - Wilsons Prom to Home

Day 14 has arrived. The last day of our adventure. While I am sad to think that the trip is just about over, jmcg on the other hand said last night while we were laying in the tent that it was just like Christmas Eve. He has been counting down the days, as today we go back to the Motorbike dealer and he gets to pick up his new bike!

I hope you are not looking forward to too much out of today’s report, because I fear you will be disappointed. As you’ll see it was a quick and uneventful ride home and I didn’t take many photos, sorry!

Our route for the day

We woke up early, before it was light, to what sounded like light rain drops on the tent. jmcg looked outside with the torch and confirmed that it seemed to be just starting to rain. I asked if he wanted to get up and pack up straight away, just incase the rain started in earnest and he agreed. So we jumped up and packed up the sleeping gear, tent, and everything else in record time. See, in this photo I’m pretty sure that I am still asleep!

We rode around to the shop, as there was some picnic tables out the front with shade sails over them, and set about making breakfast. Even jmcg still looks a little sleepy in this one!

We never really did see any rain, however the roads most of the way home were wet. We took a short break in Leongatha at the McDonald’s so jmcg could get a coffee, and I had another free voucher that I’d found in Geelong a few days ago, for a bagel on the breakfast menu. As we don’t usually eat at McDonald’s we thought it would be a good idea to share a bagel for second breakfast while we had the opportunity.

We then rode home again, home again, jiggity-jig.

Our final kms

(Now the pressure is on, if I have done my math correctly, we covered 2,768kms in total during our two weeks away)

Once home, we unpacked, relaxed, ate some lunch and then rode into Lilydale as jmcg could wait no more.

Christmas Day had arrived! The new wheels

jmcg was pretty upset, as on the ride home from the dealer on his new Husky, it actually did rain

Well, we have reached the end of our Tiger Tale. Thanks for coming along on the journey with us.

Cheers for now and I hope to see you out there somewhere soon!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #45
Flinty
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Great RR

Just finished reading your report and it looks like I just caught the last installment. Great job. I was totally hooked, and i have to say envious of the timtams; so much so i had to stop lurking and respond. Sounds like you guys had a great trip. My husband and I just finished a week trip on our Tigers. They are great bikes. I love traveling on the motos and always wish we could just keep going and not have to go back to reality.
Flinty is offline   Reply With Quote