User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Phish OP
Fishbone

Oddometer: 2,368
Duc Diavel

Anybody have any time on the Diavel. I'm thinking about a new Diavel Strata.
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Cafe Racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I spent some time starting at one.

I would love to tour on one of those bad boys.

Miguel
Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
Kelvininin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I have drooled over them. I would not mind riding one but I am afraid if I did I would be looking to buy one.

But I was so unimpressed with the amount of work my KTM A990 was to keep that I traded it for a Super Tenere... I hear the Duc are worse to maintain.
Kelvininin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #4
Dankarnov
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I sat on one at a bike show, thinking it would have roughly UJM ergos, and found it had a much more aggressive forward-lean riding position than I expected. Must be the long tank. This may or may not appeal to you, it was an immediate turnoff for me.
Dankarnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,573
Cycleworld called me one day and asked if I wanted to ride one.
Hell yeah.

It was just like those girls.
Not bad from far away,
but the more you looked,
the less pretty they got.

Stupid power, insane brakes, handled great.

Weighed too much to be a sport bike,
performed too well to be a cruiser.
Cost too much no matter what kind of bike.

It wasn't the bike for me.

Maybe if you could only have 1 bike in your stable,
and you didn't mind it being ugly.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
At an open house I took one for a pretty long test ride, not because I was interested in buying one, but I just like sampling different bikes. I loved the motor, the fueling is spot on. I do have a Multi 1200, so I'm familiar with the motor...and maybe a little biased towards it. Fit and finish is great on it, better than any other Ducati I've seen, and I've owned a few. I differ with a lot of people that say they handle like a sport bike, or even as good as a sport tourer or standard, they don't IMO. I suppose it handles well for a cruiser style bike with a stretched out wheelbase and a giant back tire, but it's reluctant to turn very quickly and wants to stand up under acceleration when leaving a corner. In a straight line it goes like stink though! I admit cruisers just aren't my thing, but if you like the looks and layout of a bike like that, and can live with the compromises made to have a certain look, I'm sure it crushes the competition.

It's been a success for Ducati too, as evidenced by the big crowd around it when I got back from the first test ride they offered on a cold October day. I had to parse my words when when asked by others what I thought of it when it's obvious they are wild about it. For my money, if I wanted a naked Ducati I'd own a Hypermotard, a Streetfighter, or a Monster before a Diavel, but I guess I'm comparing apples and oranges too. They made it to reach a different market and they have, good for Ducati.
Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
David Shapiro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
I've had my Diavel for two years. For what it wants to be, a cruiseroid bike that is light, handles and goes like stink, it is fantastic. It has some shortcomings as a touring bike. The range is just about 100 miles per tank. The seat is horrible. The strata seat looks like Ducatis way of dealing with it. I have the touring seat and the touring windshield, and that is a vast improvement over the standard seat and the fly screen. At least for me
Bottom line, since I can only have one bike, and I really want to tour, I'm trading it in for a BMW K1600GT. If I could, I would have both.

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
The seat is horrible.
I was quite amazed by that seat when I sat on one, repeatedly, at a motorcycle show. So that's why italian opera singers are all tenors!

There were too many people around for me to, um, rearange things to see if I could find a comfortable position. But I kinda doubt I could have. It's like a double-ended wedgie, and I don't know how to enjoy those.

The overall ergonomics intrigued me. Many times, when I'm going riding for a while, I end up with my feet on the passengers pegs, leaning forward a bit. This happens to be the pose the Diavel has inherently. I don't know how I would feel about that position after several hours of commitment to it, but it is one I go to quite regularly.

I'm a smurf, and was pleasantly surprised at how well I could plant my feet, and reach the controls on this bike. I'm not stretched out grasping for things, or tippy-toeing it.

It's so ugly it's kinda cute, in a hideous sort of way.

Supposedly, they do have touring gear for it.

It has a very lean rather delicate feel to it. From the skinny handgrips to the itt-bitty foot levers.
foxtrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvininin View Post
I have drooled over them. I would not mind riding one but I am afraid if I did I would be looking to buy one.

But I was so unimpressed with the amount of work my KTM A990 was to keep that I traded it for a Super Tenere... I hear the Duc are worse to maintain.
Duc maintenance never has been anywhere near as hard as people claim it is. You do have to do it; if you neglect a Duc, it will exact its revenge. But it's not a big deal to do it.

And the newer ones are a lot easier even than that. Valve check intervals now on many new Ducs are 5 times as long as when I bought mine.

I took a testride on the Diavel, and I liked it a lot better than I thought I would (which seems to pretty much be the universal reaction). Ducati dealers are usually pretty good about testrides, and the Duc truck goes to many events -- last couple of times I've seen it, it has only had Diavels to test. Go try it for yourself.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Phish OP
Fishbone

Thanks for the input.

Fuel range could be an issue, 100 mi per tank would be a pain in the ass, what kind of mileage (touring) can you expect ?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
I don't know the answer to that, but the specs say it has a 4.5 gallon tank, and I'm sure it gets better than 25 mpg, especially when touring, so I'm inclined to think that anyone claiming it only has a 100-mile range has some other agenda to promote.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
I own one. Aliong with several other bikes; touring, standard, adventure, etc.. The first thing you notice..it's Fast. Scared the s&$/t out of me the first time I got on it. After I adjusted the driving mode and traction control to some real world settings, it was much more fun. Gas light comes on at about 110 miles, but it then only takes 3 gallons, so the real range is about 140 - 150 miles. Mine is now setup with a touring windshield, gps, tank bag, and tail bag. This is in preparation for a 1500 mile trip I will be doing next month. As for fit and finish...I've never seen or owned a motorcycle this good. My reason for buying was to ride with some friends who all ride cruisers. I didn't want to look out of place, but didn't want to give up handling and performance. So far, it hasn't disappointed.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by rous44 View Post
I own one...setup with a touring windshield, gps, tank bag, and tail bag.
If you'd be willing to post some pictures of it set up like that I'd sure love to see it.

Love to hear what it's like to spend a few hours on it. As in those skinny hand grips, any vibration issues, the seating position, etc.
foxtrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
8000 miles

I owned one for a summer put about 8k on it about 3k was two up touring 3k touring alone and the rest day rides or city riding. Seat was subpar and the fuel range stunk best I saw was about 130 out of a tank and I was sweatin bullets lookin for gas. Otherwise I thought it was a great machine even two up, probably would have kept it had I not gotten into adv trouring and test rode the tiger I now own.
NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
Phish OP
Fishbone

Definitely an interesting bike, haven't had the chance to ride one yet. What appeals to me is the low center of gravity and seat height along with the performance options with the adjustable map settings.

I would assume that the wheelbase puts it in the cruiser category but it's really in a class by itself. What other cruiser type bike is out there with that kind of power on a 500lb. bike.

The Strata version is on my short list.