Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
apozzo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
My guzzi loopframe project

Hi guys!
I'm Stefano and I'm writing from Italy.
I've seen many cafe racer forums during the last 2 years! But 2 weeks ago I've found this during my search and today, after some little doubt (connected to the language:o) I've decided to make the registration and now I'm here, trying to speak about my cafe racer passion!
One years ago I've found (searching on the net) a moto Guzzi V7 850GT (in America this model was called Eldorado or Ambassador). I've no words to describe the bike conditions....the only useful parts were the motor, the frame and the wheels ...this pictures shows the bike conditions when the courier left the "package" at my home:

Many time is passed from that moment and I've made a lot of works on the bike:

- I've completely rebuilded the motor with new heads, new gaskets, new valves and valve springs, new rings.
- I've completely rebuilded the clutch with new plates and new springs.
- I've completely rebuilted the gearbox with new bearings and gaskets.
- I've adapted a front Ducati Monster reverse fork;
- I've bought the missing parts: carbs, steering bar, headlight ecc. ecc. and I've personally made the special parts: the 2 front flanges to mount the brake disks, the seat, the exhoust sistem (pipes + silencers) and many many little parts that would be boring to describe.

Now the bike is this:

What do you think about? I've many many doubts about the rear parts.....I don't know how I can go on!!!! The first idea was a fender but I'm not sure......what do you think about a (fiberglass or metal) "appendix"?

Really best reguards
Stefano

apozzo screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 05:02 AM
apozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,139
Hello Stefano

I think some sort of tail piece would look nice, something to visually balance the rear end.

Nice job resurrecting the dead!

Cheers,
Sean
Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
apozzo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
Hello Stefano

I think some sort of tail piece would look nice, something to visually balance the rear end.

Nice job resurrecting the dead!

Cheers,
Sean

Hi Sean!
You're telling a really really true thing: this bike was died! When I've seen it the first time I didn't know if I had to cry or laugh!!!!
I'm seriously undecided about the rear part!
The first time my idea was a small fender that started under the seat to end near the number plate.....something like this:

However, some week later, I've began to think about a sort of appendix to cover the final part of the frame. This part started just over the seat to finish at the end of the frame.....something like this:

In this case the problem is the seat! Infact, for me it's too long (I've choose a 2 place seat.....) and so adding a tail piece could make the bike too long in the rear side......what do you think about?

Reguards
Stefano

apozzo screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 02:28 PM
Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 446
Thanks for sharing!

And your english is great, don't worry about it at all. How about a description of how it runs/rides? And mebbe a little more about the choices you made along the way. ignition, rear shock choice, can't tell that you're running air cleaners or not. Anyway, thanks, it looks cool, and yes I think a different tailpiece would look good, but so would a bobbed fender.

roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
apozzo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemsmith View Post
And your english is great, don't worry about it at all. How about a description of how it runs/rides? And mebbe a little more about the choices you made along the way. ignition, rear shock choice, can't tell that you're running air cleaners or not. Anyway, thanks, it looks cool, and yes I think a different tailpiece would look good, but so would a bobbed fender.

roy
Hi Roy!!
I can tell you that I've still not tested the bike at the moment! I've to complete the wiring and so at the moment I can only start the engine.....
Last week I've started the engine and let me say that it's a bomb!!! With the 2 handmade exhausts the engine scream in a fantastic way....I would never stop it!! My only doubt is connected to the strong vibrations I feel when the engine is running.....what do you think about? I think the problem could be connected to a not perfect calibration of the carbs.....Is It correct?
About your questions, I can say that the ignition is the original one while the rear shocks are different....I've mounted 2 shocks taken from a CB 900 bol d'or....they are 365mm from hole to hole against the 330mm of the original shocks.....in this way I've tried to raise the rear zone to give it a sportive character! For the same motive, I've lowered as much as possible the front fork.

Reguards
Stefano

ps
another image......

[IMG=http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2434/img2398fk.jpg][/IMG]
Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
Euromad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Beautiful job! Front and rear small chrome fenders would look very nice. A tail section would work too. I guess it depends on whether you want the tank shape to be dominant visually or if you want the tail section to move your eye from the tank to the rear of the bike. Either way it is an excellent build! Congartulations
Euromad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
apozzo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromad View Post
Beautiful job! Front and rear small chrome fenders would look very nice. A tail section would work too. I guess it depends on whether you want the tank shape to be dominant visually or if you want the tail section to move your eye from the tank to the rear of the bike. Either way it is an excellent build! Congartulations

Really thank you Euromad!!!
In this last days I'm making some test with cardboard and I've to say that I begin to love the 2 (alu - chrome - black???) fenders! The bike completely changes her look and everything seem more harmonious!
I agree with your opinion about the tank! Infact I'm choosing (perhaps) the rear fender option because I love this tank and It must be put in evidence as much as possible!
Coming back to the fenders, yesterday I've bought on Italian ebay the front one (25 euros including shipping coast).....

while 2 days ago I've bought 4 bullet indicator lights (40 euros including shipping coast)......

What do you think about?

Finally, the last parts I need to end the bike: I'm searching for 2 ambassador/eldorado battery covers.....but they are really hard to find!

Reguard
Stefano
Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
apozzo OP
Adventurer

Hi guys!
Last week I've lowered the front headlight. Then I've reduced the front fender from 21" to 18", cutting and re-welding it.
Here 3 pics....

Reguards
Stefano
Old 07-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
apozzo OP
Adventurer

I'm going on!

Hi guys!
I'm came back to you to show you my bike at the actual step! Saturday I've finished the tank paint and the preparation of the other body parts such the battery covers, the front fender and other small parts! This weekend I'll try to end their paint!!
Some hour ago I've started to re-make the wiring but this work isn't really simple because I've modified many things on the bike (I've mounted the indicators, front brake switch, the clutch switch ecc. ecc.).....I hope I'll make a good job
However, this is the bike Sunday Morning.....I love this tank!
Reguards
Stefano

Old 07-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
Mrmerlin
K1300S fast as shi..

Oddometer: 313
Nice Guzzi, keep em Flyin!
Mrmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:22 AM   #11
vanislejay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Wow, I was sceptical about an Eldo café racer but you have done a nice job.

I hope the fender works out because I think that would be a cool option, but if not, you could make a nice tail piece that hugs the seat and follows right along the loop frame. Maybe out of an old tank to match the shape.

Don't bother with the battery covers unless you need to hide something in there. You could make a nice battery box that hugs right up under the seat. Those Guzzi motors make nice café engines because of all the open space and there's no point in covering it with the battery covers if you don't have to.
vanislejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:51 AM   #12
apozzo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanislejay View Post
Wow, I was sceptical about an Eldo café racer but you have done a nice job.

I hope the fender works out because I think that would be a cool option, but if not, you could make a nice tail piece that hugs the seat and follows right along the loop frame. Maybe out of an old tank to match the shape.

Don't bother with the battery covers unless you need to hide something in there. You could make a nice battery box that hugs right up under the seat. Those Guzzi motors make nice café engines because of all the open space and there's no point in covering it with the battery covers if you don't have to.
Thank you vanislejay (and thank you Mrmerlin too)!!
In this last days I'm making an abs rear fender! The base is a new old stock Fantic Enduro (Regolaritŕ) fender. I'm trying to re-model it to adapt on my frame.....I hope to obtain a good final result!
About the battery covers, many people are telling to me that the bike is better less......however, I think that place (the space under the seat) need something!!! If you see the bike now....that space is empty....what do you think about??
Old 08-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 5,930
The battery covers only fit with the battery tray in place. They also cover the starter relay, voltage regulator, wiring, etc...
It gets messy down there with the stock setup. What are your plans for all the electricals?

I am VERY interested in the Monstere forks on the Loop frame...
Do you have images of that setup???
'74 Guzzi Eldorado
'95 R100 Mystic
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
apozzo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
The battery covers only fit with the battery tray in place. They also cover the starter relay, voltage regulator, wiring, etc...
It gets messy down there with the stock setup. What are your plans for all the electricals?

I am VERY interested in the Monstere forks on the Loop frame...
Do you have images of that setup???
Hi danedg,
about the battery "zone", I've the original battery tray while I've decided to mount the V7 700 covers (the first type) because I don't like so much the 850gt covers: they are too big for me! The regulator is the original one such as the other wiring components! My objective is to make the wiring more simple and "clean": I don't need all that dash lens, the electric instruments and other unuseful parts!
About the Monster forks, the setup is not very hard to realize......I've used the original cap and rings as the following image:

than I've started with the changes: the diameter of the steering pin in the Monster forks is 1mm bigger than the guzzi one, so I had to change the 2 bearings. The monster steering pin is also higher than the guzzi one so I had to put two metal rings (6,5mm tickness for each one) on the top and on the bottom of the steering column.
Those are the only changes I've done to mount the Ducati forks on my bike!
Here you can see something.....

reguards
Stefano