User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
moto_psycho OP
Nob.

Oddometer: 122
640 LC4 gasket set differences?

Hi guys, I just ordered a gasket set, and the eBay ad said it fit my bike along with various other models, but they are not listed on the Athena site. My bike is a 2004 640-E

http://www.athenaparts.com/eng/model...4-e-640-enduro

I have gotten the 1999-2002 kit, now, after a tiny bit of reading, I believe this kit has a thicker base gasket. Are there any other differences I need to be aware of, should I send it back for a replacement?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,357
yours is the new head while your gasket set is the old. there will be several diff in the top end, the bottom should be good though. yes, the base gasket will be a diff thickness. make sure to check carefully.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Actually some parts catalogs claim that oem 101,3mm (ktm 58330036000) head gasket is used on all 625cc models, and even on some older and smaller models...

On cylinder base gaskets there is more variation, different thicness for different engine sizes and models.
0,5mm and 0,7mm for 625cc, at least?

Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,962
Being ignorant I used the thick base gasket on my '02 which should have the thin one...oops...well it's running fine 10K miles later.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Being ignorant I used the thick base gasket on my '02 which should have the thin one...oops...well it's running fine 10K miles later.

bill
The 02 is supposed to have the thicker gasket, if you had to ream out the alignment dowel holes then you installed the thinner one by mistake... The low flo engines run a .7 VS the Hi Flo going with a .5...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto_psycho View Post
Hi guys, I just ordered a gasket set, and the eBay ad said it fit my bike along with various other models, but they are not listed on the Athena site. My bike is a 2004 640-E

http://www.athenaparts.com/eng/model...4-e-640-enduro

I have gotten the 1999-2002 kit, now, after a tiny bit of reading, I believe this kit has a thicker base gasket. Are there any other differences I need to be aware of, should I send it back for a replacement?
As mentioned in the above posts, the 02 base gasket is indeed thicker which isn't all bad, the problem is the alignment dowel holes will be much larger on the 02 gasket and will not fit tightly... I plan on running the same gasket on my 03 bike to mellow the compression slightly and my solution to make the dowel fit is to cut out tiny donut gaskets to fill in the gap around it... The case gaskets should pretty much work but you'll not get a clutch slave gasket with the early kit but the head gasket WILL fit..

I have noticed a huge price difference between the pre 03 and the post 03 Athena gasket kits... I think if I order another I will order the early model kit and save some bucks...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
The 02 is supposed to have the thicker gasket, if you had to ream out the alignment dowel holes then you installed the thinner one by mistake... The low flo engines run a .7 VS the Hi Flo going with a .5...
Gunner's right, I had to enlarge the dowel holes to make the gasket fit so I suppose in a pinch you could....
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote