User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
pprO.R.A. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
NW-AR Advise please

I am hoping to get some local inmate help on some good places to base camp and stage out of for riding Mill Creek area.
A group of us are going down mid April, 3-4 dirt bikes, 2 plated, 2 not. 250-400cc . Primative camping with somewhat direct access to the Mill Creek trail system and explore connectors to other trails or F.R. to surrounding areas such as White Rock Mtn. or natural dam, waterfalls, caves.
TIA
Old 03-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,060
lottsa "deer/atv" camping right there at mill creek..so you are good to go
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
pprO.R.A. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Dr. L , are there any must do/see in the surrounding area of the .M.C. system? We probably won't have a GPS at that time, or know how to operate one, as we are nOObs to that. But do have good OHVUMs .
Old 03-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprO.R.A. View Post
Thanks Dr. L , are there any must do/see in the surrounding area of the .M.C. system? We probably won't have a GPS at that time, or know how to operate one, as we are nOObs to that. But do have good OHVUMs .
bummer on no gps..if you had one, you could WAYPOINT your camp, go explore, and if you get lost, ask your gps to take you back to camp, and it will point you the way. If you stay on the maintained roads to explore, that means do not get off onto a cool looking atv trail, then you can explore till you run out of fuel or reach pavement, which ever happens first..mulberry river is worth the ride south..also turners bend (canoe rentals and pretty good homemade cold sandwiches, and fuel)..
Old 03-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
pprO.R.A. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
bummer on no gps..if you had one, you could WAYPOINT your camp, go explore, and if you get lost, ask your gps to take you back to camp, and it will point you the way. If you stay on the maintained roads to explore, that means do not get off onto a cool looking atv trail, then you can explore till you run out of fuel or reach pavement, which ever happens first..mulberry river is worth the ride south..also turners bend (canoe rentals and pretty good homemade cold sandwiches, and fuel)..
Soooo, I take it when you are out in the sticks there the detailed ARK. maps I have aren't that helpful. The team is in the process of buying GPS, just gotta make haste getting the unit before we go and take Dr. advise and waypoint camp, with or without ram mount.
Do you have to slab to mulberry river or turners bend? My thought is to pound rocks and gnar in mill creek trails for 1st. part of trip, then explore FS roads to see cool stuff and maybe find somewhere to get a sammich or ice cream.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
mdawg12
Old and Slow

Oddometer: 1,489
Quote:
Soooo, I take it when you are out in the sticks there the detailed ARK. maps I have aren't that helpful. The team is in the process of buying GPS, just gotta make haste getting the unit before we go and take Dr. advise and waypoint camp, with or without ram mount.
Do you have to slab to mulberry river or turners bend? My thought is to pound rocks and gnar in mill creek trails for 1st. part of trip, then explore FS roads to see cool stuff and maybe find somewhere to get a sammich or ice cream.
Oark General Store for Pie!

We rode out there for years without GPS. Maps will work. But there are bunches of good rides in the SLAP files that would be helpful if you had a GPS
mdawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
pprO.R.A. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg12 View Post
Oark General Store for Pie!

We rode out there for years without GPS. Maps will work. But there are bunches of good rides in the SLAP files that would be helpful if you had a GPS
Yeah, I saw all the piles of GPS routes in the SLAP files.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
maps of the area are good to have..I think the forestry has some online down loadable maps you can get..better than nothing..keep in mind, some roads are clearly marked and some "use" to be clearly marked..those became targets of beer guzzling atv bubbas

There is 1/2 mile of hwy, IF you come out at shores lake rd there at Turners Bend..cops are rare in that area, but there could be one there, you just never know..you have a 99% chance of NOT seeing one so I think you would be good.

As for Oark General Store..there is about 19 miles of pavement on hwy 215 to get there, if you knew the back roads, all dirt, like I do, then from mill creek, you have abt 40 miles of dirt rd to Oark, and then maybe 1/4 mile of pavement to the store, again, cop are very rare here also so you will be good.

Now a word of caution, with unplated bikes, be sure you do not have an accident, because if you do, they will nail you for unlicensed vehicle and no insurance..there is alot to see and do if you venture away from Mill Creek..and there is alot of trails there at mill creek so not likely you will get bored. Fact of life, you can not see and do all there is to do here in one short vacation, but you can always plan another visit to see more.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
pprO.R.A. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks again Dr. Lots of helpful info there. Can you be our guide 4/12 weekend , i promise BBQ and cold beer plus ritas and campfire tall tales. I will research shores lake rd to turners, unless you can post up a map route
I hear you on no fools play on slab or in towns, we are old men that want to fly under the radar and have a different ADV.
It is a 3 day trip with working stiffs that want to venture out in the ozarks and ride.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:00 AM   #10
DrLewall
The Human GPS

this may be of some help for you if you are going to use maps

http://apps.fs.usda.gov/TravelAccess/
Old 04-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
If you are coming the weekend of 4/12, I highly recommend
http://www.arkansas500.com/

Routes, dinner and camping gear shuttle are provided. That way you can just follow along in your group and ride some of the best roads and routes mapped out by real AR folk.
I can't imagine trying to ride one of these routes without a gps because even with one, some of the turns are tricky because labeling is scarce in places and it all kinda looks the same.

These routes have sections of road involved so not sure it would work for everyone in your group but you might be able to hide in the pack.

If you do get a gps in time, get the RAM mount for sure. If you have to stop at every turn and dig a gps out of your pocket, it will make for a long, slow day. Iphone isn't a good option since there can be spotty cell coverage.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
pprO.R.A. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
If you are coming the weekend of 4/12, I highly recommend
http://www.arkansas500.com/

Routes, dinner and camping gear shuttle are provided. That way you can just follow along in your group and ride some of the best roads and routes mapped out by real AR folk.
I can't imagine trying to ride one of these routes without a gps because even with one, some of the turns are tricky because labeling is scarce in places and it all kinda looks the same.

These routes have sections of road involved so not sure it would work for everyone in your group but you might be able to hide in the pack.

If you do get a gps in time, get the RAM mount for sure. If you have to stop at every turn and dig a gps out of your pocket, it will make for a long, slow day. Iphone isn't a good option since there can be spotty cell coverage.
Thanks guavadude, At this time I don't think we are prepped to participate in ARK500 , 2 without plates, and fuel range is the biggie we have about 80-90 mi range( give or take depend on bike) and that's with a primus bottle or two. For the couple days we are there we will hit all of mill creek and then explore around whiterock mtn. or something nearby.
Good news one of the riders got a gps and we plan to use Dr.Lewall advise and breadcrumb it with camp as waypoint.

Maybe run into your group that weekend and tag along for a bit if its ok. I definitely want to make the ark500 in the future though.