Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #91
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Just stumbled on this thread, and like others, have memories flooding back...

Thanks for the personal account.

I'm glad you stumbled on the thread, and hope you and others will enjoy it, and continue to post.

I have really enjoyed all the great pics that folks have posted (some really beautiful bikes ). I would love to take a tour of some of your garages.

As for the P.K.,

From the beginning, I accepted the fact that the P.K. would be a "resto-mod". However, because of my shitty decal application skills (and the not-so-great polishing), I also came to realize, today, that the V2.0 P.K. would be what my good friend would call a "20-footer"; It'll look good from about 20 feet, but will not be a perfect "show queen". As I've posted, I'm good with that, as I am looking forward to taking this thing on its first ride, in 28-30 years.

Here are the forks...

Before

After

After-After

And, the dropout savers are back from the powdercoater...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 04:04 PM
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #92
Beak
Oglyarchy Hunter

Oddometer: 2,600
The forks look great!!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #93
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
My brother is still looking for a pair of the Tange nickel plated in-line drop-out forks to re-create that bike.
REPLATE

REPLATE

NEEDS A SHINE...OR NOT
Old 03-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #94
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak View Post
The forks look great!!

Gracias.

I tried to apply the decals somewhere between old-school and modern.

Back in the day, the Landing Gear decals were applied at the very top of the fork legs (so that the top letters were somewhat obscured by the beveled edges of the headset, when you would stand near the bike). Nowadays, they seem to apply them closer to that angled edge, near the bottom.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 03-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #95
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I remember we were at our local outlaw bmx track one day (circa 1985)when some kid named Isaac was emulating the rider in the above pic. Upon landing he screamed and we noticed there were bones sticking out of his lower leg. Pretty soon an ambulance showed up and carted him away. The next day the cops shut down our riding area... permanently. It was a damn shame because it really was a killer place to ride with whoops, bowls, jumps, a downhill, etc. We had nowhere else to ride BMX in our medium sized town, at least not within riding distance of home, since we all rode there in just a t-shirt and shorts. I think most of us switched over to skate boards at that point.
He must not have read all the way down to the last bullet point of that article.

Skateboarding was cool as well, but being forced out of bikes because there was nowhere to ride just plain out sucks.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #96
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Goodie box #2...
You fucking tease, are you going to show us the Tuffs or what?

Great job on the forks. What does something like that cost nowadays?
Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #97
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
You fucking tease, are you going to show us the Tuffs or what?

Great job on the forks. What does something like that cost nowadays?

Thanks. It was right at a Benny ($100).

Despite that, I am really happy with the plating.

I coulda' bought a new set of forks for about $110, stripped the stickers, and re-stickered for a few dollars more. However, then, they wouldn't have been my forks. And, to me, that just wasn't acceptable.

Brand.
New
Tuff IIs...

Old 03-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #98
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,800
Is it just the photo, or are those mags a bit charcoal gray?

Those are going to look even better than I thought with blue!
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #99
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Is it just the photo, or are those mags a bit charcoal gray?

Those are going to look even better than I thought with blue!

It's just the photo; They're black.

All the components are gonna' be black, too.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #100
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
they wouldn't have been my forks. And, to me, that just wasn't acceptable.

Looking good man.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #101
Beak
Oglyarchy Hunter

Oddometer: 2,600
Quote:
Gracias.

I tried to apply the decals somewhere between old-school and modern.

Back in the day, the Landing Gear decals were applied at the very top of the fork legs (so that the top letters were somewhat obscured by the beveled edges of the headset, when you would stand near the bike). Nowadays, they seem to apply them closer to that angled edge, near the bottom.

You're totally right about the decals.

As a kid, in the '80's, I worked at a bike shop to support my racing and when we could finally get the SE stuff up here I replaced my Tange TRX's with Landing Gear. Unfortunately, I regretted it; they looked cooler, even though they were heavier, but the dropouts split right at the top of the axle slot (I wasn't a big guy and I used the correct washers) and the chrome flaked too. I probably had a bad pair. I have to dig up some pics for this thread...I still have some JT gear and a pair of Oakleys from back in the day. I've also been thinking about buying a pair of Tuff's for my 24" FMF that I stopped racing after blowing my knee on it at 39yrs old in 2005.......

The bike's gonna look great JJ! Keep the updates coming!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #102
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

As I posted before, I was never gifted with the "mechanical" gene...or any gene that runs in unison with it. When I was a kid, if my bike or motorcycle needed work (and we could afford it), I just "took it in", for someone else to do.

These days, while I'm still no Jesse James, I do little maintenance tasks by myself. I still let the dealers do big things, but try to do what I can.

Anyhow, over the years of acquiring my limited skills, I began to realize why those who are capable, of doing their own work, do. I have had the pleasure of witnessing the shitty work that a lotta' "professionals" do. And, by some strange coincidence, I kinda' felt that my "contracted" frame polishing fell-into this category. The more I looked at it, the more I realized that, while it was not a complete disaster, it wasn't worth the hard-earned dollars that I expended.

As some of y'all know me from JM, some of you may know that I care for my 71-year-old Mother (who has a little dementia). She is my fulltime gig. I'm not trying to gain any sympathy points. However, you'll see why I mentioned that, in the next paragraph.

Today, Ms. Daisy (as I affectionately call her) had a good day. She was content with her breakfast, her lunch, took her meds, and enjoyed a walk with a neighbor (Thanks, Nelda). So, since I didn't have to work today, and my Mom made a brief escape, I had some time to myself (a rare event).

Because of my unexpected reprieve, I decided to have another go at the frame, using the Charmin "Red Label" and Blue Magic method. What do y'all think?...

Before

After

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 02:47 PM
Old 03-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #103
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,800
That looks pretty sweet. You can even see a little gleam coming off the top of the frame! I wouldn't feel bad about paying to have it polished. Can you imagine how much work it would have been had you started from scratch?

I'm looking forward to seeing it come together. You going 3-piece on the cranks, or chromoly 2-piece? I can't tell what they were in the original picture.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #104
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
That looks pretty sweet. You can even see a little gleam coming off the top of the frame! I wouldn't feel bad about paying to have it polished. Can you imagine how much work it would have been had you started from scratch?...

That's exactly how I tried to look at it, in a positive way.

I don't feel like I paid for nothing; They did get quite a few of the very large nicks outta' the frame (something I probably couldn't have done myself). I just wish they had done a better job.

Quote:
...I'm looking forward to seeing it come together. You going 3-piece on the cranks, or chromoly 2-piece? I can't tell what they were in the original picture.

The bike originally came with one-piece cranks. Despite that, it was my intention to install a set of three-piece Redlines.

However, after HOT DAMN! posted the pic of that one P.K. (page 4 or 5 of this thread, I believe), I HAD to go with one-piece. The old school draw was just too strong for me to resist...

Old 03-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #105
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,959
IIRC Tange used to make a tubular CroMoly one piece crank that saved a few ounces on the forged, solid, CroMoly crank. Allthough the Bullseye sealed crank bearing are trick, the full retainer version, ( no spaces between the caged ball-bearings..) of the Tange BB was easier to install, adjust and overhaul. You want the one with lip seals, should be some available.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: