User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #106
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,961
I think the 1-piece (I was calling it a 2-piece, counting the disc) is generally stronger than the three piece. They don't develop the squeak either.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #107
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I think the 1-piece (I was calling it a 2-piece, counting the disc) is generally stronger than the three piece. They don't develop the squeak either.

I always thought they were stronger, as I seem to remember hearing that (when I was a kid).

As I remember it, during my time, the only reason to have the three-piecers was weight-savings.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #108
Beak
Oglyarchy Hunter

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I always thought they were stronger, as I seem to remember hearing that (when I was a kid).

As I remember it, during my time, the only reason to have the three-piecers was weight-savings.

The frame looks great! If you want it to stay shiny and not go dull on you, give it a couple good coats of carnuba wax (Mother's or Meguiar's work great). You could clear coat it but you have to strip the clear if you ever needed to re-polish or touch it up.

I always used the one piece crank and spider set up. Dead strong and reliable. Is that an MCS sprocket? Redline Flite cranks are super strong, lighter and have sealed bearings but the other advantage is you only had to remove the right crank via two bolts (pinch bolt and crank bolt) to quickly change sprockets.

You're doing great JJ!
Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #109
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Well, thank you.

Damn! Good eye on that chainring: Yes, it is an MCS.

As I posted, one of the reasons I had the bike polished was to get some of the larger nicks out. I re-polished, yesterday, to smooth some of the (polishing) wheel-marks that were left by the "professionals".

Despite that,...and this is gonna' sound completely contradictory...I want the bike to re-oxidize. I only "fully" polished it so that, when it did (oxidize), it would do so uniformly.

So, within the next few months, I'm hoping that it will look like it did the day I took possession of it. We'll see...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 03-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #110
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Looking good man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post

The 26" pub crawler is almost finished and ready for powder-coat, worked all the bugs out in the mockup stage, most importantly, it rides very good outside of the need for a gearing change (up 3 or 4 teeth on the front sprocket). Didn't want to put any brakes on it but my sons friends frequent my garage for libations and then pull down a buch of my bikes for midnight rides, the last thing I need is one of those clowns getting jacked up, so I fitted it with front only.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #111
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Looking good man...

Thank you, thank you...

Quote:
...The 26" pub crawler is almost finished and ready for powder-coat, worked all the bugs out in the mockup stage, most importantly, it rides very good outside of the need for a gearing change (up 3 or 4 teeth on the front sprocket). Didn't want to put any brakes on it but my sons friends frequent my garage for libations and then pull down a buch of my bikes for midnight rides, the last thing I need is one of those clowns getting jacked up, so I fitted it with front only.

I'm sorry, HOT DAMN!; I had to laugh at that...because drunks and front brakes go so well together.

That is such a beautiful bike you're restoring.

I wish I had the skills; I'd probably have a garage full of bikes, instead of motor vehicles. I need a truck, because my family still has management interests in my Dad's property. And, I have a motorcycle for commuting. But, this year (hopefully), my Mom and I are gonna' "thin the herd", so to speak. All the insurance/inspections/registrations are becoming a real drag.

Please keep the pics comin'...

Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #112
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Man JJ that is comig out nice.

I dig the pub crawler.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #113
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

"Do these decals...

...make my tubing look PHAT?"

Old 03-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #114
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

I did this, for shits and giggles, and believe that my mind's eye saw my bike, for the first time since the start of the restoration...

Old 03-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #115
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Because of a very generous vendor, I wound-up with two sets of chainring bolts...

Anyhow, I'm familiar with "MCS"...not so much with "KINGSTAR". The KINGSTAR bolts are more aesthetically pleasing to me (You probably can't tell from the photograph; But, the chrome is very nice.) And, because of that, I would prefer to use those in my build.

Any reason why I shouldn't?

HD!?...Beak?...Herb?...OTG?...anyone? Is this thing on?...

Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #116
Beak
Oglyarchy Hunter

Oddometer: 2,646
Bolts are bolts. Use the ones that look best and keep the others as spares.

Bike looks good. What bars and stem are you planning?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #117
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,961
I didn't find anything negative about the Kingstar brand, so I think you should use the better looking chrome, and keep the others for spares or sell them. It would take a lot to break even low quality chainring bolts (not saying these are). The weakness would only be visible in how easily they get marred up from the wrench.

As far as the stem; the newer designs clamp the bars better. As much as I like the old school stuff like Tuff Neck, a modern setup will be stronger for riding. (assuming you can find a non-threadless type neck).
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #118
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
For new school, I really like THESE Profiles.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #119
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I will be answering your questions, and getting some pics up, later.

In regard to the pics, I wanna' say that I'm glad that HOT DAMN! likes the stem that he does. The link was kinda' quirky. However, I believe I know what stem he was talkin' about. And, all I can say is, "Great minds think alike."

Now, for some bad news...

Last night, I was messing around in my garage, and lay the P.K. frame on the seat of the Super Tenere. Why I did that, I have no fucking idea.

Anyhow,, I turned-around for only seconds, and I heard the worst racket of my life, "CLANG!...CLANG!....CLANG!...CLANG!" The frame had fallen off of the seat of the motorcycle, and onto the concrete floor of the garage. The lower portion, of the right rear dropout, was bent pretty bad (Nothing was mounted to the frame.)

Anyhow, my blood pressure spiked, and I proceeded to try to get the rear wheel mounted into place, along with the washers and dropout protectors, so that I could basically attempt to "tighten" everything back into place, and force the dropout back into shape. As an added bonus, in my panic, I did a helluva' job of boogering some areas of my expensive and time-consuming polishing job. So, needless to say, this morning, I am loving life.

Right now, my mind and eyes are playing tricks on me. So, I would like to post some pics of the exterior dropout welds, and have y'all tell me that they look okay.

I'll get to that in a few (hopefully)...

J.J.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #120
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak View Post
...Bike looks good. What bars and stem are you planning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
...As far as the stem; the newer designs clamp the bars better. As much as I like the old school stuff like Tuff Neck, a modern setup will be stronger for riding. (assuming you can find a non-threadless type neck).
Quote:
For new school, I really like THESE Profiles.

The bars are FLY "Mike Day's". I liked 'em better on the internet, than I do in real-life...

Are far as the stem, as I stated HOT DAMN!, "Great minds think alike"...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: