User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
rockland213 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Outboard boat motor???

Has anyone ever thought about building a bike with a outboard powerhead? 25-40HP They seem to be farly easy to find with bad lower units...and there not worth alot as boat motors.
rockland213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,302
II've seen them in midgets back in the day. Today, since water cooled motorcycle engines are more common & typically motorcycle engines are made even lighter & more compact than an outboard I don't think you'd find any advantage.
What would you do for a transmission?

4play screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 10:50 AM
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,364
Another difficulty might be that they are designed with a vertical drive shaft. Might be more difficult to transfer that to a horizontal transmission.

I'd love to see it tried though...
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
rockland213 OP
Adventurer

[HTMLWhat would you do for a transmission?][/HTML]

Never thought about that. But after a little looking on-line they a pricey.

scrach that idea .
Old 02-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
rockland213 OP
Adventurer

It wouldnt need to be vertical . You could just make a addapter to turn the carb. Its a 2 stroke so it can run on any angle
Old 02-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 953
There was one that ran at Great Lakes Dragaway back in the 80s. Ran an OMC, IIRC. Much bigger than 25hp, however...
Highside>Lowside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
beachmike1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockland213 View Post
Has anyone ever thought about building a bike with a outboard powerhead? 25-40HP They seem to be farly easy to find with bad lower units...and there not worth alot as boat motors.
Unless the engine is very old it is loop scavenged and will have a broad power band. The main issues will be mounting and power transfer. The problems with power transfer are basic engineering issues. Suitable transmissions can be found on older British or even Indian built Enfields and Harley's and their clones which have mostly separate transmissions. These usually have couches too. The PTO of the engine will have to be modified to accept a chain or belt drive to match the transmission. This is not hard but is not cheap for a one of. Same with engine mounts.all of this is basically engineering and fab.
As in the old commercial..if you have the time.......

Machine shop time runs about ninety bucks and hour and they have to take you cad files and make machine files which is usually a two hr job. So if you can tube jockey the design you can get it made. And it will not be cheap. And you will get a poor running fuel hog engine that is not optimized for its application..but you may have fun.

Lets face it. I made homemade bread, jam, marmalade and such. It is a hobby. Do I save money??? Only if my time and fruit are free.

But I have fun.

There is a dude that makes v twins based on Indian made Enfields. I think he sells them from 24k for a 44 hp bike. He sells a few a year. They are neat. He has fun. Australia I think.

One big issue. You can't register it legally in the us.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
I saw an outboard powered 2 wheel vehicle. As I remember, It was a bicycle with the outboard sitting high enough for the drive wheel (in place of the propeller) could be pushed onto the front wheel.

Good luck on your new wheels !!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,658
Not an outboard, but do a search for the Tularis 800.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,088

This one is in a sidecar, but, Kim Newcombe raced a 500cc solo version with some sucsess.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Fishenough
Team Lurker

Oddometer: 125
Cool2

Another factor not mentioned is that outboard motors are not designed with any type of air filtering system. It's not to dusty on a body of water, so there is no design consideration for a air filter.

Those old 2 stroke mercs 6 cylinders had a fantastic, instant, power band; that on 2 wheels would be a blast
Fishenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
Frank from Quebec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
You could also look at snowmobile motors, a 1000 twin or triple 2 stroke with about 160hp should be fun.
Frank from Quebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
Owlseye
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I'm not sure if it was common, but there were some roadrace bikes in the 70's pwered by 2 stroke outboard engines. There is one here in Edmonton that shows up occasionally in the vintage section of bike shows- sorry I can't recall who built it or owns it presently, but it was either an act of ingenuity or craziness, depending on your point of view. It had a monocoque frame (not tubular), used the engine as a stressed member, and if my (admittitly dim) memory serves, an Earles type front fork. I believe it did ok. I have no idea what he/they used as a transmission. I also recall some drag bikes with outboard based engines. Several others used snowmobile engines. Ah, the 70's. There was more to it than wide bottom plaid pants and platform shoes.

Sounds like a project for that old Evinrude at the back of the shed.
Good luck!
Owlseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
In the late 50's or early 60's there was a 4 engined sports car. It had 2 Porsche engines front and rear with outboard motors driving the superchargers.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Anything is doable if you've got the time, the power density on a typical outboard engine is not that great though, I would look towards a snowmobile or jetski engine, usually more power per cc and already have the proper orientation...likely just as or even cheaper than an outboard.

I'd thought of something like that running at torque-a-verter setup, or even an automatic atv transmission, would make a fairly interesting drag or short trip streetbike.

I know an old man who pulled the worn out engine out of his old cb350 that had been sitting for the past 40 years and bolted in a p2 caterpillar diesel trash pump engine along with an torque-a-verter from a trencher or something, said it tops out at 70mph and gets about 120mpg lol.

Anything is possible, it's all time and resources, I'd really like to build a street legal briggs powered bike, done quite a few dirtbikes with them, had a suzuki 50 that'd top out around 50 with an 8 horse briggs lol.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote