User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #61
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
The title says

You just cant seem to get away from the lil suzuki 650..
So why try? I mean I get it, so many new, shiny , powerful bikes on the market, one wants to experiment. But in reality, I think many of us have had that "One Bike" that we really loved, and wish we still had. I currently wish I still had my 300 ktm.. I LOVED that bike!
I dont own a strom 650 , or any strom for that matter.. However I have read many, many stories about the bike, and about 99% are positive from happy owners.. Hard to part with a following like that!
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #62
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandkat View Post
You just cant seem to get away from the lil suzuki 650..
So why try? I mean I get it, so many new, shiny , powerful bikes on the market, one wants to experiment. But in reality, I think many of us have had that "One Bike" that we really loved, and wish we still had. I currently wish I still had my 300 ktm.. I LOVED that bike!
I dont own a strom 650 , or any strom for that matter.. However I have read many, many stories about the bike, and about 99% are positive from happy owners.. Hard to part with a following like that!
I would love a S10 but already having the DL650 I can't justify blowing that much cash.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #63
Farmer Hank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Wee Strom Worship

Rode the S10 and liked it a lot. Got back on my wee and loved it more. The Wee is lighter and much more fun to dance with.
S10 is mucho heavier, slower handling, and the engine is as exciting and involving as a KLR or any other appliance. Spend $1000 on Cogent Dynamics /Penske suspension and 500 on a Russel Day Long saddle - best two farkles ever. Had my wee for six years now, never kept a bike half this long before.
Farmer Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #64
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Hank View Post
Rode the S10 and liked it a lot. Got back on my wee and loved it more. The Wee is lighter and much more fun to dance with.
S10 is mucho heavier, slower handling, and the engine is as exciting and involving as a KLR or any other appliance. Spend $1000 on Cogent Dynamics /Penske suspension and 500 on a Russel Day Long saddle - best two farkles ever. Had my wee for six years now, never kept a bike half this long before.
Clutch switch "jumper" mod on the S10 is a whole different motorcycle.

And costs the price of a basic fuse.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #65
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Hank View Post
I rode the S10 and liked it a lot. Got back on the Strom and went Oh dear
On the other hand, I was looking for something that solved a few issues I personally had with Stroms like being a PITA over lots of Km of gravel / dirt roads. Yes they will do it but the tarmac is more their element.
The S10 motor is a peach and the DL motor is a nectarine. Like both of them.
DL is probably the best value out there and the S10 is one of the true Adventure Tourers for the long haul traveler over almost any road carrying gear. Just like what was promised.

90% of people won't care I know. Different strokes. Nothing wrong with falling in love with a Strom or the S10. Had both.
They are both straight up honest bikes just different.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:33 AM   #66
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
I agree with you GrahamD. I have had my 07 wee since i bought it new. here we are 6 years later with 50k miles and still loving it. my next bike may be the S10 though. I have ridden an s10 a few times (friend bought one) and it really moves. for now till student loans are gone i think i will be content with what i have.
sierraoffroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #67
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,484
I would be too much of a hooligan with anything more than a 650. I'm bad enough as it is. I just have a hard time going the speed limit.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #68
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I would be too much of a hooligan with anything more than a 650. I'm bad enough as it is. I just have a hard time going the speed limit.
So I got my test ride on a Wee yesterday. I rode a 2009 on dirt and on tar. I found the thing to be so smooth. I wasn't a handful on gravel either. One thing I noticed. I was going too fast every time I checked the speedo.

Thing wants to go! I might have to wait till I'm more mature. I'm only gonna be 60 this June. Kinda young for something that speedy.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #69
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
So I got my test ride on a Wee yesterday. I rode a 2009 on dirt and on tar. I found the thing to be so smooth. I wasn't a handful on gravel either. One thing I noticed. I was going too fast every time I checked the speedo.

Thing wants to go! I might have to wait till I'm more mature. I'm only gonna be 60 this June. Kinda young for something that speedy.

meh.

you only live once. go for it. Glad to hear you still have your inner bad boy. me too, but i'm only 54. I still like to play hooligan, but I don't bounce too well anymore.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #70
martīn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Bought a 2005 (650) v-strom about a year ago. Put 17000 km on it last season, and planning on putting at least the same amount on it this year - hopefully more. Itīs got almost 60000 km on it now, and runs buttersmooth.

I had a VFR800 before, a bike which is, if you look at the specs, far more superior! But the v-strom is just such an easy bike to drive. It does pretty much everything you could ask for without complaining. Itīs fairly light, handles and brakes well, gets good mileage and has an engine that is, if you read the statistics, almost bulletproof.

All it asks for, is that you ride it as much as you can and change the oil+filter every now and then. Hell it doesnīt even complain if you put a cheap dino car oil in it - it just keeps going and going and...

I went to the local Triumph dealer the other day, since they had a big "try a Triumph day". Iīve been wanting to try the tiger800xc for a while, and so I did. Iīm 6 feet tall, and I thought it was hard to balance when jumping on the bike, but once I got going it handled ok, and the engine ran and sounded great. But I didnīt get that "woooow" feeling. Pretty much everything I did to it, my v-strom would do just as good or even better(except offroad riding of course...)
So when I god back to the dealer I said thanks, but no thanks. A bike like the 800xc, that here in Denmark costs around 30000$, should do better than just that. So when I rode back from the dealer on my v-strom, I was happy. Happy īcause I have the strom, happy that I have a fairly cheap bike, that just does almost everything so damn good.

I love this bike, and who cares if the thing is a designed by a drunk japanese teenager, it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it, so f... the rest.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #71
Linhares
OSM addicted

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by martīn View Post
I love this bike, and who cares if the thing is a designed by a drunk japanese teenager, it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it, so f... the rest.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #72
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
Thumb not so...

there are all sorts of things wrong with the weestrom.
my clock isn't right..
isn't it supposed to set itself? my cellphone does
also i have recently had to add gasoline - it ran out sunday on a perfectly gorgeous day.
and - I Had to charge the battery. it had only been three months since I rode it...
i bought tires for it - not that it needed them, but I was tired of looking at the originals.
i had to buy a sprocket for it also. well I didn't HAVE to do it I just thought it would be fun to actually turn a wrench on it for some reason.

i did change the spark plugs once upon a time. i was just curious....

I sorta like the idea of the S10 - its what a grown up heavy weestrom should be, from what I read. but I need a truck also, and they're about the same money so I guess I'll keep riding the 04
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #73
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
I came from a r100 GS to a 2004 wee. Something about the wee didnt do it for me after riding it 3000 miles, so I sold it. I then bought another BMW, this time an r80. I loved it, but it kept breaking and the wife said, no more. So I got a triumph bonneville in November. I just traded it in today, for what, the new vstrom 650.

I realized what I didn't like/wasn't used to was winding up the engine to go anywhere, where the 1000cc Beemer, would pull 5th gear from 20mph lugging to 100. But when I got the triumph, I had to wind it up still, so I figured why ride a bike that beats ya up and you have to wind it up. Out it goes. Back on a weestrom and I think I'll be satisfied. First impressions of the new one is 100% positive.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #74
docsherlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I was in the market for a new bike this year; test rode the F800GS, Tiger 800 and 650 V-Strom. Just for comparison's sake, I also have a Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.

All the bikes were good but I bought the 2012 Strom - great bike. Really great bike; fun to ride, superb engine, 70+ mpg (imperial). Doddle to service (just did the first one myself with no hassle).

Very well thought out machine.
docsherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #75
drrod1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
From the Stromtrooper site

http://www.stromtrooper.com/australi...rs-hearts.html

Rod
drrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote