Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #16
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Talking If

If you want a bomb proof mount for your Garmin 60 /62 and some others. http://bustedcompass.com/Starving_Buzzards.php scroll down the page a bit for photo's.

Stovebolt is a inmate and rider and standup guy, who got tired of his gps being launched off the bike, so he built his own cradle.

I have one, your GPS is only leaving if you remove it or a semi hits you about the top of your triple tree!!

And no I get nothing for telling you of this.

Jailor8
RIP my Cousin, Austin City Limits aka Terry Hammond
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #17
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailor8 View Post
If you want a bomb proof mount for your Garmin 60 /62 and some others. http://bustedcompass.com/Starving_Buzzards.php scroll down the page a bit for photo's.

Stovebolt is a inmate and rider and standup guy, who got tired of his gps being launched off the bike, so he built his own cradle.
His cradles look solid but the one for the Montana has a fatal flaw, IMHO: it forces you to use the usb power source. There is NO WAY I am ever going back to that. It's too bad he didn't incorporate the Garmin Rugged Mount into his model. I bet it would sell a lot faster if he had.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #18
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Never had a problem with any of those.

That's why people buy these things.

I like mine a lot.
I've seen 2 of the 60's break the antena's. One of the main reasons I went with the 76 instead.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #19
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,380
What Albie said. I have had a couple of friends break theirs too.

Like anything, some people can be given two steel balls placed in a locked closet for an hour and when you let them out they'll have broken one steel ball and will have lost the other. Just sayin
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #20
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post

Like anything, some people can be given two steel balls placed in a locked closet for an hour and when you let them out they'll have broken one steel ball and will have lost the other. Just sayin
Defective Users, they're called.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #21
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,290
Were the 60s that suffered broken antenae in a RAM cradle mounted on the left side of the bar (front brake line snag)? Stovebolt's cradle seems to me to be quite BOMBproof. And as DRZCharlie mentioned, some people seem to have the "ability" or misfortune to damage almost anything.

250senuf screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 09:41 AM Reason: h&p typing while MBD posted
250senuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #22
BigStick
Discovering

Oddometer: 48
Quote:

Perfect!

I like my 60csx! Some folks don't want to listen - 'tape the batteries', 'add a rubber band to ensure it stays in the RAM mount', 'watch out for your brake line', and 'attach it also with a lanyard as an added security'.

The only problems I've ever had with my 60csx were because of...ME!

-'Stick!

"A motorcycle is whatever you want to make it. Turn it on and you can give yourself a real thrill!"
~ Bruce Brown, On Any Sunday

AMA Lifetime Member
BigStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #23
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
Some folks don't want to listen - 'tape the batteries', 'add a rubber band to ensure it stays in the RAM mount', 'watch out for your brake line', and 'attach it also with a lanyard as an added security'.
or just get a 76, stick it in RAM mount and don't worry about any thing.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #24
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,870
Quote:

For every story about someone breaking their {fillin the model name here} there are as many that have no problem.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #25
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
For every story about someone breaking their {fillin the model name here} there are as many that have no problem.
I don't think so!

Garmin sold many thousands of 60s. At most a few hundred have had one of the problems, so like all products, it is many many many many with no problem. This is true with all cosumer products, the failure rate must be a very small percent or the product will not sell.

Any story about NOT having a problem with a consumer product has ZERO data. The main reason is that no one reports "no problem". The failure rate is simply the number of failures reported divided by the number produced. The only data is in how many have had a problem. In the case of the 60, it is quite obvious that the RAM cradle has a very significant problem as reported on many threads.

The cure is simple, just use a seat belt (zip tie or rubber band) and it won't fall out.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #26
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,986
I used a 60cx for about 3-4 years on lots of very rough rides including mountain single track. I also had several pretty bad crashes. The unit did come out of the Ram mount a couple of times.

I wrapped the lanyard around the mount so it could only move a few inches when it did come out.

And near the end of my usage I did use a rubber band because the rubber part near the bottom was rubbing off.

I never had any damage.

I did have a couple of instances where the unit would turn off on its own. I fixed this by opening the unit and bending the tabs that connect power from the battery to the main circuit boards and putting dielectric grease on them. This usually worked for a year or so.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #27
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
The unit did come out of the Ram mount a couple of times. I wrapped the lanyard around the mount so it could only move a few inches when it did come out.
My partner's came out on lanyard, face hit fork leg, smashed glass.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #28
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
My partner's came out on lanyard, face hit fork leg, smashed glass.
My friend's popped out, he ran over it on his R1200R and it works perfectly to this day. Go figure.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #29
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I don't think so!

Garmin sold many thousands of 60s. At most a few hundred have had one of the problems, so like all products, it is many many many many with no problem. This is true with all cosumer products, the failure rate must be a very small percent or the product will not sell.

Any story about NOT having a problem with a consumer product has ZERO data. The main reason is that no one reports "no problem". The failure rate is simply the number of failures reported divided by the number produced. The only data is in how many have had a problem. In the case of the 60, it is quite obvious that the RAM cradle has a very significant problem as reported on many threads.

The cure is simple, just use a seat belt (zip tie or rubber band) and it won't fall out.
You know what opinions are like, Jerry?

You spout yours like gospel - which they are not.

Here's my data - I have had a 60CsX for about 5 years. I've used it on and off road. It's been through lots of low speed biffs, tipovers, etc. It's always been in a ram mount, never come out. And while I've never fractured the ram mount, I do keep the lanyard looped around the handlebar just in case.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #30
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You know what opinions are like, Jerry?

You spout yours like gospel - which they are not.
Dave, these are not my opinions they are accepted ways of doing reliability analysis. I base this on my education with an MS in engineering, teaching college, and about 30 years of working on NASA contracts. After 10 years of retirement Boeing ask me to come back and help with a new maned space vehicle because the team had no one with my depth of experience. In my line of work, reliability is the top design paramater. People will die if we make a design error.

Relialibity is usually specified in MTBF (Mean time Between Failures) but this is more like qualifying a lot for shipment in which case we specify PDA (Percent Defect Allowable). In this case we test a lot qual sample. You hope that none fail but only so many are allowed to fail. You don't count the sucesses, you set the sample size. In the case of a consumer product it would be the number of all produced. In qual, you only count the failures and with a consumer product you only count the failures. You expect none to fail so counting the number that do not fail has no information. All the information is in the number that failed. So any story that my car, dish washer, TV, GPS, etc did not fail is meaningless. A report of sever products that have the exact same failure is quick evidance that there probably is a systemic design flaw. A good example are the two batteries that overheated in our new Dreamliner. Two identical failures and all plans were grounded. I read that not 2 but at least 10 if not 20 people have had 60s pop out of RAM mount, there is no doubt that there is a systemic design flaw with this design.

Subjective opinion about you like something is valid but reliability calculations are very well established and based on data.