User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #76
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Wow, this is like an oil thread!
I like a Sealbag of app. 30liters to hold tent, sleeping bag, tent poles and therma rest, leaving some room for clothes to be stuffed in. This is if I am using soft panniers on my sideracks. If I know the terrain will be gnarly, I forego panniers (I cursed a lot when one was ripped off the bike by a tree) and just stuff everything in a 60 liter canvas stuff sack (military issue).
That being said, panniers look 100 times better. YMMV.

woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #77
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
My turn....

If you are traveling alone and cant get everything you need into a set of panniers then you bringing too much stuff.

That said, I would still have a top box, but I would keep it empty. Use it for short term storage of riding gear and carrying groceries from store to the campsite.

All other opinions are null and void...
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #78
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
If you are traveling alone and cant get everything you need into a set of panniers then you bringing too much stuff.
Absolutely.

Some of the side cases I've seen are huge. Far wider than I'd want a motorcycle. I have no idea the capacity of the BMW-brand cases I saw yesterday on an F800GS, but they made the bike well over a meter wide.

And if someone wants narrower side cases and a top box . . . well . . . I guess they're wrong.

Grinnin screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 12:04 PM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:16 AM   #79
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,395
I don't think I've ever used a top case during a road trip. I do this for a few reasons.

First, I can't get all my camp gear into a top case, even a big one. (Unless of course I'm using my 75 liter Jesse trunk).

Anyway, I rather have a large duffel on the back seat but keep my large rack on the rear.

This way if I pick up a passenger, females only, then the duffel moves back to the rack and she takes the back seat.

Having the large rack instead of a top case also allows me to pick up stuff like firewood, or to do go getter things like take my buddies cylinder head in to grind back to flat after it overheated.......

Around town, commuting and local day or weekend trips however my top case never comes off. Hell, I even pulled the tumblers so I don't need a key to open it, I never keep anything in there worth stealing anyway.

HaChayalBoded screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 01:14 PM
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #80
rbrhsv
AR Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 50
I remove my top box for ADV riding. No matter how hard I try, the top box vibrates and rattles on rough roads..
Plus, I can get more in the waterproof duffel. This photo is of my V-Strom ready for the eastern TAT.
I packed my tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and ground cloth in the duffel in anticipation of camping a few nights. As it turned out, i didn't camp at all and maximizing miles during the shorter days of fall. When I stopped for the night in motels, there was NOTHING I needed in the duffel - so it stayed on the bike (under a cover and padlocked to the bike. It is hard to see, but there is a cable that loops over and around the duffel.)
My qualification would be that a trip on all decent paved roads would reverse some of this reasoning, provided you didn't need extra space.
rbrhsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #81
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 812
Love hate

To me top boxes are unwieldy and cumbersome, but for the following uses/considerations on a long trip crossing borders with fragile gear, the sum of their merits overtake their drawbacks;
  • Place to store SLR camera protected by foam cut-outs or optional dividers
  • Place to store folders with immunization records, passports, etc
  • Safe from left or right low-side get offs
  • Easier to padlock and secure
  • Lid organizers to minimize the need to empty a duffel looking for that tiny widget
  • Can double as a cutting board
  • Properly outfitted it can serve as a duffel/gear rack.
Shown here is a Pelican 1500 Series EMT case. Hated it until its virtues began to emerge. Still hate the way it looks, but LOVE how useful it is.

The dividers have very versatile padded dividers for nearly infinite configuration.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:04 AM   #82
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
My turn....

If you are traveling alone and cant get everything you need into a set of panniers then you bringing too much stuff. ...
Depends on where one is going, the weather, planned accommodations (NO accommodations needed changes long term gear requirements) and not what is needed at that point, but what one WANTS to bring.
It's easier to fling gear off than wish it into existence in dire circumstances.
Anyone can pack light, likewise (and more frequently) we regretfully pack in excess. I am notorious as a minimalist, and until recently prided myself in ALWAYS bringing less than any comrade. Recently I decided to try things a little different, still keeping weight down, and expand my gear to lengthen my riding season and self sufficiency, so you guessed it, that rig has a kitchen, a friggin pillow, and a back-scrubber for bathing in streams. Might even have a take-down rifle, fishing pole and spices for the wild garden stews