User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
D.T. OP
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 8,827
Question Anyone try carfax?

I am lacking the fundage to buy a new car so a used one is going to have to do. I saw the carfax ad on TV and thought what the hell, might as well try it. Well, I did and it costs $40 bucks minimum. www.carfax.com

What say ye peeps? Is it worth it or not?
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
I did it once, never bothered again - but I buy from people I can trust.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
D.T. OP
One wheel wonder...

Buying from people you can trust??

Yeah, that is nice. Seems like the people you like most can hurt you the most too. Sorry, I'm just a crazy old man.

If you know the personal history of the vehicle that would be the next best thing.

Thanks for the input anyway.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
D.T. OP
One wheel wonder...

Thumb

The site does have some good free info though, like a lemon checker for the car I was looking at...

CARFAX Lemon Check® Results
  1. GOOD NEWS! No Manufacturer Buyback or Lemon records were found for this 2000 CHEVROLET CAVALIER Z24.*
  2. The CARFAX database contains 23 important vehicle history records about this 2000 CHEVROLET CAVALIER Z24. Order the complete CARFAX Report now.
  3. IMPORTANT! These 23 records may confirm a clean history or reveal costly hidden problems such as:
    • Salvage History?
    • Multiple owners?
    • Odometer fraud?
    • Major accident damage?
    • Flood damage?
    • Fire damage?
  4. Learn the details about this 2000 CHEVROLET CAVALIER Z24, or any other vehicle you are considering buying, by ordering the complete CARFAX Vehicle History Report.

Order CARFAX Report!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,152
Several years ago I had a one month Carfax subscription. My mother in law was looking to buy a used car and it was helpful (the car she wanted most was indeed "clean") and gave her some peace of mind. At the time, I think it was only $20 for a month.

BTW, I would strongly suggest you not buy any 2000 Cavalier - Z24 or not.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
D.T. OP
One wheel wonder...

Well, it is cheap. Didn't take a test drive. I just don't have $$$ now for a good car. Just need to get to work and get good fuel mileage. I have the $$$ going into my new motorcycle.

Here it is...

http://www.bestbuymotorsusa.com/2000..._160727430.veh#

What's wrong with it (other than the stupid hood scoops)? Now I see. At the dealer the paper in the window said 118k miles, not 188k...

I bought a 1997 GMC for cheap 5 years ago ($2000) and it has been a pretty good truck.

D.T. screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 08:21 PM
Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,152
Seriously, if the bucks are low and its reliable transport you want, I'd suggest an older elderly-owned or "estate" car. Someone's grandma's car with low miles on it usually (at least around here) goes cheap. They usually have been maintained and not beat on (like the "racey" Z24 - which are not reliable cars).
Sure, it's not cool, but it's inexpensive, reliable transport.
Besides, that Cav won't get you any tail, either.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
vincheck

The National Insurance Crime Bureau has a free service called VinCheck that will check for theft and also if the car has a salvage title in its history.
nicb.org

I used this and also the BMV of my state to trace a motorcycle title from inception to the present day. what is pretty cool is the vin number is all it took to pull up the title history at the BMV site. Not foolproof, but it may help you weed out some obvious bad choices before you decide to use a paid service for additional information.
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #9
boardrider247
Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer: 419
Most dealers have a subscription to carfax. If you know someone who works at a dealers they can probably grab you a report or two.

If I were buying a used car from a dealer I would make them provide the report, because yes they most likely have a subscription.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #10
D.T. OP
One wheel wonder...

NICB eh?

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Cool.

NICB's VINCheck is a service provided to the public to assist in determining if a vehicle has been reported as stolen, but not recovered, or has been reported as a salvage vehicle by cooperating NICB members. To perform a search, a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is required. A maximum of five VINCheck searches can be conducted within a 24-hour period per IP address.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,361
Carfax works OK but there are "holes" in some reports. Depends on lots of variables like: if a car got fixed, if it should have been fixed, if it was fixed & should not have been,if the insurance was used to fix the car vs. not which means it might have been fixed but not turned in and could or could not have been a good repair, who fixed a car-skillset etc., if the reports were turned in or not, if the car was totaled combined with IF that got on the title, if the car was serviced regularly or by wrong guy or if it was highway miles or city miles.
Get the picture? Know cars is a must to narrow your chances of a good used car. If you have the ability or the opportunity to check it out is a factor-I know cars/bikes,etc., but the vehicle may be out of state in some cases & usually it is. The average seller will not know much about what they are selling but there are many clues to look for and they don't all come from Carfax. Sure it can help a lot but not a fix. I just sold my Cady-a beautiful very nice car that had 2 "carfax bad marks" saying it had been repaired. One mark was a very minor parking lot bumper ding that was easily repaired & the other was hail damage that was mostly removed via paintless work and so the sale of the car was somewhat "tainted" by the carfax even though the car was a jewel.
Ask lots of the right questions and SEE!!! as much as you can about a car before you buy. Pay a pro to evaluate it before purchase if need be & know when the time is right to get a pro to look. This could go on for a long time.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
I personally prefer AutoCheck but it's safe to do both. I've found minimal details on one service while the other had several details. Yes, they've both gone up in price (and not in relation to their quantity of details) so it's hit or miss.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 1,998
My 2003 VW GTI had a spotless clean carfax two years after I ran over a huge ladder at 80mph, tearing the entire underbody up. $11k in suspension, bodywork, new wheels/brakes, and still a clear carfax. I traded the car in to a Honda dealer....
Old 02-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #14
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,361
Carfax only "knows" what someone else "tells them".They are not a detective agency for cars but a repository of info.. Carfax downgrades a car based on certain information thats doesn't always mean the car is a "bad one".Either an insurance company or a dealer,etc.. If I wreck my car & pay privately for a repair it will not show up-some total wrecks get sold with the original title unbranded to another owner as a "clean title" car,very common & it doesn't bother me as long as it is stated as a damaged or repaired vehicle with full disclosure.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Carfax only "knows" what someone else "tells them".They are not a detective agency for cars but a repository of info.. Carfax downgrades a car based on certain information thats doesn't always mean the car is a "bad one".Either an insurance company or a dealer,etc.. If I wreck my car & pay privately for a repair it will not show up-some total wrecks get sold with the original title unbranded to another owner as a "clean title" car,very common & it doesn't bother me as long as it is stated as a damaged or repaired vehicle with full disclosure.
THIS^
Nine years ago I bought a car with a "clean" Carfax. The pre-existing shoddy crash repair was not obvious until a body shop had to pull the rear bumper off after a kid nudged me during an emergency stop. Of course, the bumper replacement from the 3 mph nudge showed up on the Carfax 6 years later when I traded the car, even though the extent of that damage was a quarter sized paint chip.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote