User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 729
Pissed Carfax good idea till your the innocent victim

Traded in my wife's Avalon. It was involved in a collision, a 16 yr old brat ran a stop sign and out in front of her, she hit the brakes and ran into him. It scratched the plastic wrap arouond bumper and creased the plastic bit so their insurance paid to replace it and the Styrofoam 5mph cushion underneath it which did its job in the collision. It took the body shop 20 minutes to install the freshly painted front bumper piece. Not a bad accident and an easy repair.

Well............ Carfax has it shown as a major accident which required towing and the vehicle was disabled and ..............

Well........ the accident the kid caused and got a citation for just cost me about a grand in trade in value because the car has a bad Carfax.
Gillus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #17
D.T. OP
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,360
Sounds like the dealer should be able to show it to you for free. Because they have the unlimited subscription. So asking for it and getting it for free at the dealer should be fairly easy.

As far as the replies it seems like it's a 50/50 shot. It MAY help for some insight into the car's past. But you can't really know what the history is unless you owned it yourself.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #18
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,989
I have a Jeep Wrangler that's basically a 89 YJ on a rebuilt title as a 84 CJ. Carfax showed clean clear title. (The seller did disclose the title up front, and FrankenJeeps aren't uncommon at all).

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post

Well........ the accident the kid caused and got a citation for just cost me about a grand in trade in value because the car has a bad Carfax.
I would think the repair bills, along with the Carfax would have been sufficient evidence to the contrary. Maybe the dealer was screwing you on the trade in?
Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
I would think the repair bills, along with the Carfax would have been sufficient evidence to the contrary. Maybe the dealer was screwing you on the trade in?
Yes we may have been but what ya gonna do. A dealer will say the Carfax is the bible to their customer. After we got thru with the deal the salesman wouldn't come close to me cuz I would have him up verbally. I did chat with the finance guy till he let me know what the salesman said is not true and then understood what I was pissed about (stuff other than the carfax). If my wife hadn't wanted that exact car, color and interior color etc I would have said and walked out.
Gillus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
Traded in my wife's Avalon. It was involved in a collision, a 16 yr old brat ran a stop sign and out in front of her, she hit the brakes and ran into him. It scratched the plastic wrap arouond bumper and creased the plastic bit so their insurance paid to replace it and the Styrofoam 5mph cushion underneath it which did its job in the collision. It took the body shop 20 minutes to install the freshly painted front bumper piece. Not a bad accident and an easy repair.

Well............ Carfax has it shown as a major accident which required towing and the vehicle was disabled and ..............

Yes, it downgrades very good cars! Beware when a claim is made as it will cost you down the line & dealers will jump on anything that swings money their way. If your adjuster is being "kind" they can help ease the pain by a padded estimate but there you go!!! another way that our insurance goes up. I suggest that anytime your car is damaged, especially in a small way &/or a claim is made, take pictures & save them. I used high rez pics to demonstrate my hail damage was minor on last car. I still had jerks on my ebay auction suggesting it was a bad car-even though it was listed in the auction. Information is either golden or dangerous,huh?
Another "jewel" is when the other guy hits you & the LEO's write it up as a 50/50 accident-so they dont have to go to court, then the other guy , who has no insurance files against your policy and collects & THEN! your rates go up. We had 3 teens driving at one time & I had this happen several times & was never my sons fault but cost me dearly.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #22
RSRennsport
Navigator

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
I am lacking the fundage to buy a new car so a used one is going to have to do. I saw the carfax ad on TV and thought what the hell, might as well try it. Well, I did and it costs $40 bucks minimum. www.carfax.com

What say ye peeps? Is it worth it or not?
I made the mistake of getting a CF after I bought the damn car. It was useful. Found out the car was imported from Canada and was in 2 accidents the dealer just happen to forget to tell me about.
Most dealers will give you a CF without charge, well the honest ones at least.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #23
MJBADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I usually try and get the Carfax from the dealer as others have stated. I do think they are helpful with ownership history. I was looking at a Land Rover and the Carfax indicated that it had 7 owners in 9 years, so I moved on. I also look at where it was owned. For older cars, I stay away from vehicles from the states that use a lot of salt. I see quite a few (on sites like autotrader) used car dealers that buy cars from the Northeast or upper mid-west and try and sell them in the southeast from reviewing the Carfax.
MJBADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #24
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSRennsport View Post
I made the mistake of getting a CF after I bought the damn car. It was useful. Found out the car was imported from Canada and was in 2 accidents the dealer just happen to forget to tell me about.
Most dealers will give you a CF without charge, well the honest ones at least.
carfax, for people that can't tell a piece of shit car from a turd.

if I print up a second piece of paper, that says the first was wrong, and its only shuttled hot ass womenz to yoga classes and blowjob clinics, would you feel better ?

cause that's what carfax is.