User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
2009 URAL Gear-Up Sahara purchase

Today, I picked up my new to me 2009 URAL Gear-Up Sahara Limited Edition sidecar rig in Arlington, Virginia. I got a sweet deal from FOX 43 out of the the Flea Market Section of this board. I appreciate all of his help with my new purchase and the awesome deal. I love the bike and can't wait to take my second ride on it tomorrow. Got about 2 miles under my belt, tonight just after dark. AWESOME!

The purchase of this bike keeps me riding bikes, which I very much love to do. I've been riding motorcycles since I was 7 years old. My health has forced me onto 3-wheels and the doctors finally got their way. I have given up riding 2-wheeled motorcycles on-the-road.

Here's a few pictures of my new rig. Let the farkling begin. I have big plans for it. New gear is in the works.

SamM

SamM screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 06:16 AM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,490
That rocks Sam

Nice outfit ... they always look better loaded.

Seriously hope it makes you happy.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
URAL CT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
09 Ural

Congratulation Sam...nice rig. I ride a 2007 Patrol. My excuse...I'm getting too old to ride 2 wheelers anymore but do not want to quit riding. I have to accept the fact. My knees give out from time to time when I have to support the bike with my foot. Ain't pretty when you fall down with the bike stopped & the beemers are heavy. Besides my recovery time from an injury takes longer nowadays.
BTW, looking at your rig, looks like the leg shield are put on backwards. Maybe the PO did that to emulate an air scoop to cool the motor. 'nutin wrong just looks...well different. Enjoy your Ural...it's a hoot
Cheers,
Charlie T
URAL CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
CCjon
HighHorse Rider

Oddometer: 531
New Ural

Great buy Sam.
These are addictive, fun to ride, even a challenge to drive. You are going to be thinking, why didn't I get one of these a long time ago?

Cannot recommend enough that you find a S/TEP class so you learn how these rigs react differently than on two wheels. Safe fun for you and not a danger to other drivers.

Maybe we'll meet up on the Alcan this summer.

CCjon

Ride to Alaska on a URAL Blog
http://uralinguccc.blogspot.com
CCjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:26 AM   #5
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
That is great news, congrats.

I see the day ahead of me, at some point where a Ural or Can Am Spider could be prescribed in similar fashion. Nice to know there is something like that out there for us.

Great choice you made, it will be fun to see and hear of your personalization on your new rig.

Stay safe and vigilant.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

My cardiac doctors feel that motorcycles are dangerous. No way! Why didn't I get that memo? Anyway, in Oct the main guy sat me down and said that it was time for me to seriously consider giving them up. Off-road riding is still ok, so I can still trailride with my farkled out 2009 KLX250S on backroads and trails. I just bought a hitch hauler for my Jeep Wrangler to haul the KLX around. I have a couple of other projects that I would love to get started on again. The Sahara gives me a commuter bike and is also a replacement for my Polaris 500HO atv, that was sold awhile back. Hunting season will be much easier on me now with the URAL. I can get into the woods with the 2WD.

My plans are to first learn how to operate it safely. The next step is to recoat the tub. There is a bit of rust in the seams near the bottom. This Sahara was painted not powdercoated. I may powdercoat the tub and then have Line-X applied to the inside and the bottom. I'll go with the stock tan color or as close as possible. My first purchase will be a windshield from Dave Heindl. I'll get it powdercoated also. A sidecar windscreen and new Heidenau K37 tires are also on my list.

I want to thank all the hack guys and especially the URAL owners for all the experinces shared here on the Board. You guys really made this possible. My wonderful wife Stacy also gets a big THANKS! She's terrific. Friday was our 21st wedding anniversary. We went out with friends and all I wanted to talk about was my new purchase. I tried not to be annoying but they knew I was excited. She has put up with over 15 years of me talking about URAL motorcycles without a word of complaint. She's AWESOME!

Once I get into the bike I will post a thread on it and what I do. Anyone have a new topsecret aircleaner system that they'd like to see tested. I'd buy one and do some alpha testing on it.

SamM screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 06:11 AM Reason: Spelling
Old 02-24-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
Hondarider
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 613
Congratulations on the new ride! A Ural with a sidecar is a timeless look and just plain cool. I hope to find something similar someday when I get tired of picking up my porky GSA.
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
That is a beautiful rig, Sam. I sold my 06 Ural Tourist a few years ago, and regretted selling it almost immediately. My next rig will be a 2WD drive Gear Up or Patrol model. At age 70 (71 next month), I'll be making the switch within a year or two.

No doubt, Ural's are tons of fun. I just hope they fuel inject those engines before I make the move.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
I looked at new ones at a recent motorcycle show here. The news ones are powder coated, OMG, the red is gorgous and I loved that orange one with the canoe paddle!

As I look at other sidecar rigs and kits, I just can't get excited about a fiberglass car. Gotta have metal (Ural).

Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
DaFoole
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post

Here's a few pictures of my new rig. Let the farkling begin. I have big plans for it. New gear is in the works.

SamM

VERY cool rig, Sam.

You will LOVE it!!

Where did you get the bag?

Looks like it belongs there.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
ZONKR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
I think that's a Mag's Bag. I have a green one on my GearUp and it is designed to fit perfectly on the luggage rack. I don't think they make them anymore.
BMWMOA 116478
ZONKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

The bag did not come with the rig. We negotiated on the price a little, so he didn't include it. I was going to buy the bag once I got there but he had already sold. The pictures that I posted were from the PO.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
VERY cool rig, Sam.

You will LOVE it!!

Where did you get the bag?

Looks like it belongs there.
I believe that the bag is a USAF issue duffle bag. I have one exactly like it, I believe #28 on the list. http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/galaxy...ks_pouches.asp

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,157
re "I'm getting too old to ride 2 wheelers anymore but do not want to quit riding."

I sort of look at the purchase of mine as a pre-emptive strike. I'm still doing ok with the GS but being 60 there may not be too many years left managing its weight. But the Ural is a hoot in its own way, plus I no longer fear riding on ice/snow. Enjoy your rig.
Jim
on2wheels52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
Paint shaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Congrats on the ride!! Hope you enjoy it!

www.paintshakerracing.com
Paint shaker is offline   Reply With Quote