User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Nice ride

I am waiting on a GU 2004 model to be delivered. I know how you feel. Be safe on that thing.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
Mikehusa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
I looked at new ones at a recent motorcycle show here. The news ones are powder coated, OMG, the red is gorgous and I loved that orange one with the canoe paddle!

As I look at other sidecar rigs and kits, I just can't get excited about a fiberglass car. Gotta have metal (Ural).

Bought one of those a few weeks ago and love it. Has it's quirks but bad weather/road conditions havent stopped me.
Mikehusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,290
Congratulations! You are going to have a blast. I love mine.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #19
Ivan Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONKR View Post
I think that's a Mag's Bag. I have a green one on my GearUp and it is designed to fit perfectly on the luggage rack. I don't think they make them anymore.
Yep that's a Mag's Bag. She lost a leg in a sidecar accident and don't make them anymore. There were custom fit for the Ural Rack.
'08 Ural Retro, '10 Ural ST Solo
http://www.flickr.com/photo s/ivanrider/
Ivan Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #20
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Thanks everyone! I love the new rig. Haven't been riding as I still need to get it legal. That will be taken care of this week. Can't wait to get out there and put some miles on the Sahara. I'm looking to attend a sidecar safety class as soon as possible.

SamM screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 02:18 PM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #21
kilroy1
was here!

Oddometer: 202
Cool buy Sam

Hey Sam, long time no hear.

Sorry to hear about not being on two wheels anymore, but the Ural looks like it will be a blast. I have been looking at side car rigs ever since these came out. That is a nice looking rig you picked up. Have fun with it. Maybe you, me, Rob, and the other guys in the group could meet up again for another ride in Ten this year. It has been to long since the last one. It would be good to see everyone. Good luck with it, and tell Rob I said Hi.

Shane

No matter how bad it gets just smile, because everyday above ground is a good one.
kilroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #22
Oldmanriding
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I have it.

Yep it's a Mag-Bag and I purchased it.
Oldmanriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:56 AM   #23
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

Shane,
Good to hear from you! Hope you have been doing well! I love the URAL. Been wanting one since the mid 90's and finally got a good one. I'd love to get together for a ride in Ten. We did the BRP again in 2010 but had to cut the trip short. Never made it to the bottom. Rob and one of the other guys came back early on Wed. The rest of us rode one more day to Asheville, and then rode all the way home on Thurs. Lots of rain, it was a bust! The plan this year is to leave on June 24th and re-ride the BRP again. Not sure if Rob or Dave are going to make it this time. So far, there are just 3 of us planning to come down. The other guys have never seen the BRP and are very excited to ride it. They are really wanting me to bring them down. It would be great if you could ride along. They also would like to ride the Tail of the Dragon. We just want a slow trip, as I'm still trying to learn how to pilot a sidecar rig. It's very different from a bike but I'm getting the hang of it. Not sure yet of how many miles I can do in a day on it. As soon as the weather breaks I plan to find out.

I'll give Rob your message and ask him about Ten. Take care and stay in touch! My email is: swmatteo@yahoo.com

Sam
Old 03-10-2013, 01:18 AM   #24
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

Just a small update on the bike. On Friday, I went with my buddy Hugh to Indiana to buy a Suzuki Samurai. He's been wanting a new project. On the way back, we stopped by Heindl Engr. and I bought some new parts for the Sahara. I got a new speedo drive gear, oil filters, new mirrors, bar risers, new carb mounts, the new 2013 one piece air horns and a copy of the 2nd Edition of Driving a Sidecar Outfit. I hope to have the new parts on sometime this coming week. I really need to get the speedometer fixed. Next on my list are: windscreens and a Solo T seat. In May, I will add the Adventure exhaust system from Raceway Services.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #25
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

Just picked up a new project car to park next to the Ural Gear-Up. It's a 1972 Truimph TR6. This car is unmolested and has 68K original miles. She needs a complete restoration but is complete. It has some rust but nothing major. We should have it running early next week. It's my 50th birthday present to myself. This car is the realization of a boyhood dream.

SamM

Old 03-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #26
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I had a '71 TR-6. Bought it in the States, then took it to Germany with me when I was living there. Had some mods done to the engine and suspension. Could get it up to 135 M[yes miles]PH on the autobahn before the front end would begin to lift. At which point whoever was riding with me would start yelling and I'd slow down.

Had to leave it in the FRG when I came home - no way I cold get it past the EPA even on a re-import.

Loved that car - drove the heck out of for 5 years.

Duncan
Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #27
newenglandjim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Way to go Sam, I was forced to give up two wheels also "amputated leg" but I love ride my sidecar rig. They are much better for camping too. Have fun and keep the pics coming of your upgrades.
newenglandjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #28
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

Thanks Jim! Sounds like you are doing well too. I love the Ural! The weather is starting to break here and the snow is melting. Plan to get the new air horns, carb mounts and bar risers installed this week.

SamM
Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
Just picked up a new project car to park next to the Ural Gear-Up. It's a 1972 Truimph TR6. This car is unmolested and has 68K original miles. She needs a complete restoration but is complete. It has some rust but nothing major. We should have it running early next week. It's my 50th birthday present to myself. This car is the realization of a boyhood dream.

SamM
]
Love the Ural! Congrats on the TR6. Here's mine a Diaper Brown (correct color name is Tobacco) 71 OD with 67-68k miles. Great cars! Ultra fun.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #30
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

Wow, has that been restored? Mine is a PA car. She needs a lot of work. Your car is beautiful. Very nice!

SamM