Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #61
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Tough decision. But understandable. I've been riding not quite as long as you, and I can't imagine not. One thing I've thought of, if riding my Ural becomes to much of a challenge, is one of the CanAm 3 wheelers like Fred Rau (MCN) likes so much (tons of "you can't flip me over" software, ABS, ACT you name it, and unfortunately priced like a GoldWing).

First things first though - get better!
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #62
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,470
The Can-Am is great. I've ridden them and love them but I'm not sure I can spend that much.

The URAL has been sold!

Sam M
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #63
mismith356
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
The Can-Am is great. I've ridden them and love them but I'm not sure I can spend that much.

The URAL has been sold!

Sam M
Wow...that was quick! I hadn't even had a chance to speak with SWMBO. Hope you getting healed up Sam and can ride again at some point in the not too distant future.
mismith356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #64
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

I've got until May 30th until they take the fixture off my left leg. Then, I go into a full leg brace for rehab.

It's doubtful that I will ever ride streetbikes again. This was my last shot and I blew it. I may keep a plated off-road bike to ride on my property and to church once in awhile. But that's about it.

SamM
Old 05-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #65
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
I've got until May 30th until they take the fixture off my left leg. Then, I go into a full leg brace for rehab.

It's doubtful that I will ever ride streetbikes again.
SamM
Damn, I'm very sorry to hear that. As bad as the results of your crash are, at least you are here. The former editor of Road Runner wasn't as fortunate with his try at sidecars.
Best of luck with your rehab,
Tom

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #66
kilroy1
was here!

Oddometer: 202
Hey Sam,

Sorry to hear about your decision to stay off of the bike's. I would say considering how bad this wreck was that I would probably be doing the same thing. Matter of fact my wife and family after hearing about your wreck are all on me about selling the bike. I am still currently resisting. Have the doc's been able to repair your knee? From the description I got it sounded pretty harsh. Rehab sounds like you are moving in the right direction though. Keep healing and don't give the doc's to much grief! PM me if you want to talk offline.

Shane

No matter how bad it gets just smile, because everyday above ground is a good one.
kilroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #67
gobium
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hi Sam.
Heal fast and keep your spirit up. See you Tuesday. Van
gobium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #68
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

The URAL was my last chance at riding motorcycles and quite frankly, I blew it. The worst part is that I'm still not sure what I did wrong. The impact was at about 5mph. The guardrail grabbed me and I was pulled from the bike. The rest is history! A wise man once said, "a man has to know his limitations!" This has taken too much out of me. I'm done with street bikes. I may keep a small displacement dual sport to ride on my property and to church but unless someone gives me 25k for a Can-Am RT-S street bikes are just a memory for me.

Shane,
I'd love to talk with you. Call or text me your number and I'll call you back. Call me at: (304)288-9789 or text my iPhone at: (304)777-3083. My iPhone is out of service here but I may get a text. It's hit or miss. Your mom is awesome! She has called me a couple of times to cheer me up. Your Uncle Rob calmed me at the crash scene and kept me talking and from going into shock. Truth be known, he probably saved my life. He has been the best friend that anybody could ever ask for. We've been through thick and thin together. Same with Dave and my co-worker Jeremy that were both there on the mountain that day. Great guys and heroes!

Tom,
Thanks for the well wishes. I doubt that I will ever fully stop riding but street riding will be a low priority. To my buddy Rob's house (3 miles), the store (6 miles) and I could still do some light trail riding. I've been looking at a Rokon or a small dual sport to fix up. I have a 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S that I have farkled out but I sold it to a buddy before the crash. He still wants it, so I'll let it go. I'm a man of my word. He got a great deal on it too. I may try something European again and I still need to sell my 2005 KTM 950. It's in my storage unit with the URAL now. I have just over 100 acres of off-road heaven in my backyard. I could also pack a small bike to the hundreds of miles of trails here in WV. It's all good!

Thanks everyone!

SamM

SamM screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 08:09 PM
Old 05-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #69
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

Hey Van,
Sounds great!

SamM
Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #70
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

Van arrived early this morning. He is now the new owner of a lightly crashed 2009 Ural Gear-Up Sahara. I am very happy and he also seemed very happy with the deal. He has some great plans for the bike. Can't wait to see what he does with it.

SamM
Old 05-10-2013, 03:18 AM   #71
gobium
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hi Sam
The bike is fixed, road worthy. Thanks
I want to post pics here but dont known how.
gobium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #72
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobium View Post
Hi Sam
The bike is fixed, road worthy. Thanks
I want to post pics here but dont known how.
How to Post Pics

Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #73
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

Van,
Please post pictures! I'd love to see the bike!

My buddy has decided not to purchase my 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S. I have decided to keep the bike and upgrade it a little more. It already has Superlaced wheels from Woody's Wheel Works, an FMF Mega Bomb header, FMF Q4 muffler, and many other upgraded parts. This bike will keep me riding, mostly off-road though. It will be many months before I'll be able to get back on it due to my messed up left leg.

I'd like to again, thank everyone for their prayers and well wishes. I'm getting better everyday.

SamM
Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #74
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

At this point in my life, the Rokon Trail-Breaker is looking good to me. It lets me keep riding motorcycles, albeit off-road but still riding. My Triumph TR6 and KLX250S are for sale again. Those should net me almost enough cash to get the Trail-Breaker without depleting all my Ural fun money. The Rokon looks like fun!

Not sure that I want to ride the KLX anymore.

SamM

SamM screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 12:51 PM
Old 05-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #75
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,374
Rokon's are good fun. Do a search on the site... there are a few threads on them in other subforums. Keep your spirits up.