Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #31
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
I am amazed what size loads people will stick on a ball. Why not go the little extra and use a fifth wheel or goose neck? After hanging around Montana, I am sold on something that locks on over the axle, not 6 feet behind the axle.
Funny that you should say that, because one of the eureka moments on this project for me was envisioning making this design so that it easily demounted from the trailer. That lead to a good discussion with a trailer manufacturer and we were discussing the pros and cons of both styles for something like this.

Most park trailers don't get moved often and they use Class 7 or Class 8 trucks so the weight of a ball isn't a big deal.

But if you use a smaller truck, and move it often, then a gooseneck looks more logical.

Then again that gooseneck gets in the way when the trailer is parked. You can't have windows or a door where the gooseneck is at, for instance.

On the other hand I have seen people make a garage for their bikes out of the space underneath a 5th wheel hitch.

Etc, etc.

I have quotes on both a specialty gooseneck trailer for a modular unit ($12,000) and a stretched basic chassis for a Tiny House (on the order of $5,000).

There seems to be a lot of inertia in the industry. Mobile home chassis are pretty basic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #32
PirateJohn OP
Banned

MeterPig's comments about chassis design got me curious about a couple of details. There is an old mobile home chassis on the property here.

See anything that catches your attention?

No brakes!

Old 02-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #33
PirateJohn OP
Banned

The Tiny Houses But Not On Wheels Thread -

I am pretty sure that this is so high off the ground because it has wheels under it.

If someone wanted to do a traditional style cottage on the cheap and didn't want wheels they might look at a Derksen Portable Building or something from their competitors. Prices seem right, and they creatively finance them although the interest rates are killer.

They are delivered without an interior and with no wiring. The dealers are cagey about the legalities of hooking them up to the power grid or the legalities of using them as a dwelling, but I have seen someone build an oil patch housing community out of about a dozen of them so there seems to be some work arounds.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #34
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Back to some contemporary designs that struck a nerve with me:

Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #35
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Neat idea.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #36
PirateJohn OP
Banned

My first steps in getting something off the ground is probably secure storage of bikes, tools, and so forth and setting up a workshop.

I've gone back and forth on what to buy. I started off thinking that an ISO container would work. Secure but ugly, although a person could put siding on it I suppose.

Then I started to think about a portable garage. Not as secure but more space for the $$$

Then I thought about getting a utility trailer. Part of my thoughts here were that I could use the trailer for storage today, and then down the road convert it to a toy hauler for those times when I wanted to take a couple of bikes and go camping for a week or so.

Then I was chatting with an inmate who was telling me about having his truck and trailer stolen, and that reminded me of some other tales that I have heard over the years about stolen trailers and their contents, so I sorta thinking about going back to the ISO container approach.

I threw this out over at our Facebook page and some folks had some ideas for secure objects by attaching them to concrete tubes sunk into the ground, and frankly I liked that approach for a variety of reasons.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #37
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Duh ...

Was reading this thread from my iPad and didn't see very many posts. Then switched to my laptop and suddenly there were plenty of posts! So this part below might be a bit redundant. Please bear with me.

~~~~

This thread got started from some posts that were in another thread, but basically what this is about is establishing a place where riders where riders could get together. Many of us are RVers (although not everyone is), many are nearing retirement (although some folks are younger), and most of my friends ride motorcycles (although that isn't a requirement as long as you are active and have a sense of humour).

What I had in mind was a place near the Tex/Mex border so that people who were trailering bikes down to Mexico would have a secure place to park, and we'd have a location on the US side to use as a base for exploration.

Secure storage, a workshop, etc. see to be things that everyone wanted. And that ties into my interests because a sub plot is that I am wanting to have the space to build a prototype of a contemporary park model trailer during the next 2-4 year time frame.

Long story short I made a trip a few days ago to look at property in Eagle Pass, TX. Got some decent leads and that town seems like a good place to look.

My thoughts are that I'd buy or perhaps lease property and develop it myself. So this isn't a solicitation for partners or anything like that and it's not meant to be a commercial RV park, just sort of a semi-retirement place for a handful of riders. However, I would be inclined to set up some sort of non-profit or LLC to inherit the property and to hopefully benefit the riding community after I was gone.

Several people contacted me and said they had similar dreams, but different locations. Frankly, I don't want to spend the rest of my life sitting in one place, so my thoughts are that it would be wonderful if somehow a group of us could travel and swap locations and do so economically. Louisiana and going back to Florida for awhile are on my bucket list, for instance. Anyway, that's the dream - details to be worked out ;)

So this thread is basically about establishing informal places for riders, and how to maintain a (hopefully) tasteful but mobile lifestyle, something that many of us have pondered for years without having the one answer.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #38
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Duh ...

Was reading this thread from my iPad and didn't see very many posts. Then switched to my laptop and suddenly there were plenty of posts! So this part below might be a bit redundant. Please bear with me.

~~~~

This thread got started from some posts that were in another thread, but basically what this is about is establishing a place where riders where riders could get together. Many of us are RVers (although not everyone is), many are nearing retirement (although some folks are younger), and most of my friends ride motorcycles (although that isn't a requirement as long as you are active and have a sense of humour).

What I had in mind was a place near the Tex/Mex border so that people who were trailering bikes down to Mexico would have a secure place to park, and we'd have a location on the US side to use as a base for exploration.

Secure storage, a workshop, etc. see to be things that everyone wanted. And that ties into my interests because a sub plot is that I am wanting to have the space to build a prototype of a contemporary park model trailer during the next 2-4 year time frame.

Long story short I made a trip a few days ago to look at property in Eagle Pass, TX. Got some decent leads and that town seems like a good place to look.

My thoughts are that I'd buy or perhaps lease property and develop it myself. So this isn't a solicitation for partners or anything like that and it's not meant to be a commercial RV park, just sort of a semi-retirement place for a handful of riders. However, I would be inclined to set up some sort of non-profit or LLC to inherit the property and to hopefully benefit the riding community after I was gone.

Several people contacted me and said they had similar dreams, but different locations. Frankly, I don't want to spend the rest of my life sitting in one place, so my thoughts are that it would be wonderful if somehow a group of us could travel and swap locations and do so economically. Louisiana and going back to Florida for awhile are on my bucket list, for instance. Anyway, that's the dream - details to be worked out ;)

So this thread is basically about establishing informal places for riders, and how to maintain a (hopefully) tasteful but mobile lifestyle, something that many of us have pondered for years without having the one answer.

Ken should be along anytime now!
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #39
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad View Post
Ken should be along anytime now!

I think that he's smart enough to not bother unless he has a positive contribution to make ;)

Old 02-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #40
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Anyone know anything about backhoes, front end loaders, trenchers, and post hole diggers? Naw, not really serious about a Unimog (although that would be nice if I could afford a reliable one) but I figure that I might need something to clear brush and dig trenches unless I can find someone to do the work on the cheap ;)

Old 02-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #41
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Was reading some old threads here on ADVRider. The general feeling seemed to be that it was cheapest to rent or enter unto some sort of lease and return arrangement for backhoes and such.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #42
nwgs
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
I've been thinking about this also.

I like the idea of a larger warehouse where you would pull your Rv inside to live in it.

Garden areas to grow vegetables would be a plus.

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #43
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Down here it's so hot it's pretty common to put up a pole barn of some sort to park under.

This is a friend's place:

I can tell you from experience that while these sides do protect the vehicle it gets dark in there and you cannot see out:

Notice that it's also a rain water collection system - very helpful out here:

Old 02-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #44
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs View Post

Garden areas to grow vegetables would be a plus.

I am not quite sure what grows out here. It's desert but close to the Rio Grande. I was told that wells were generally finding water not too far down. Also, there is a water system along the border.

I am not expecting too many veggies to grow without irrigation but a person never knows.

Not too far away in the Hill Country there are pecan farms, and a couple of people have grown large palm trees. I was wondering if I could get away with bringing some palms back from Florida because a few species grow like mad.

If I go with the properties that are in 20 acre parcels there is scope for a small farm of some sort. Someone out there was raising goats and burros, and several other people were raising horses.

Deer roam freely on all the properties that I saw so that would have to be managed in order to grow veggies.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #45
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Was reading some old threads here on ADVRider. The general feeling seemed to be that it was cheapest to rent or enter unto some sort of lease and return arrangement for backhoes and such.
I'm a heavy equipment operator (hopefully not for long).

I also owned an excavator for about a year and did all my own site work. I could have done it in a few weeks if I really put my mind to it. You can get a lot done in a 10 hour day if you really work the machine.

Look into leasing an excavator with a blade and a thumb for a month. By day 3 you'll be halfway decent at it.

Or you could get lucky like me and buy a used machine, have less than $2000 in repairs, and then sell it for more than you had into it a year later. Wouldn't bank on that though.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: