Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #61
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
This caught my attention recently so I talked to the sales guy to get some general information.

Portable workshop built using ISO containers and a tent-like roof.

Advantages: portable. And the containers would make for secure storage.

Disadvantages: more expensive than a comparable pole barn structure made of wood and/or all metal.

Still, the manufacturer offers a 15 year warranty on this material. Supposedly they are more competitive on REALLY large structures, the kind where you pull trains into, and less so on smaller structures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #62
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Containers and pole barn construction doesn't have to be ugly ... Although Kalkin's stuff is a bit over the top.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #63
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
This caught my attention recently so I talked to the sales guy to get some general information.

Portable workshop built using ISO containers and a tent-like roof.

Advantages: portable. And the containers would make for secure storage.

Disadvantages: more expensive than a comparable pole barn structure made of wood and/or all metal.
The Port of New Orleans had a few work areas made of two containers with cheap pre-stressed wood trusses above them. Nail down some sheets of OSB and cover with cheap shingles. Worked like a charm and didn't cost much to make. Check with the local truss manufacturing facility and see if they ever have any rejects. It'd only take one "mistake" run to set up what you're looking for. You could get the trusses for the cost of the material.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #64
PirateJohn OP
Banned

I have kicked the container with a roof idea around since ... Oh ... Maybe 2006 when I had some friends in the steel building industry give me some advice.

Portability has always been an issue to me although perhaps this time around there is that element of possibly building a secure shop that wouldn't have to be portable.

Wooden trusses just seem unsightly to me but perhaps I am missing something. I keep looking at steel trusses bolted together, probably with stainless bolts, so they can be disassembled at some point.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #65
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I have kicked the container with a roof idea around since ... Oh ... Maybe 2006 when I had some friends in the steel building industry give me some advice.

Portability has always been an issue to me although perhaps this time around there is that element of possibly building a secure shop that wouldn't have to be portable.

Wooden trusses just seem unsightly to me but perhaps I am missing something. I keep looking at steel trusses bolted together, probably with stainless bolts, so they can be disassembled at some point.

They are unsightly . . . but they're cheap. If you don't need it to be portable, they're an inexpensive way to go. The front & rear could be easily and inexpensively covered with some siding and it wouldn't look quite as bad. For portability, the steel & tent thing you posted a pic of would be the way to go.

I handled the Hurricane Rita claim on the Port of Port Arthur. Was very impressed by the Rubb Buildings they had there. If you were looking for information on the material in the pic you posted, go to this site: http://www.rubbusa.com/
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #66
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Interesting. So the Rubb buildings held up well in a hurricane?

Old 02-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #67
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Yup. I have seen nice ISO containers if you can believe that. I saw one once for a failed business concept that was constructed or covered by what looked like polished stainless steel.

Trying to solidify some ideas on a place that is aesthetically attractive, generally portable, and secure. Storage and work space seems to be something that most of us can agree on. One thing that an ISO container has going for it is that it's secure.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #68
PirateJohn OP
Banned

20 ft. ISO container in some shiny material:

Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #69
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Shipping container cabin. I will have to say that this thing seems to be secure, which the builder says was his major concern.

Builder's story here - http://tinyhouseblog.com/tiny-house-...ntainer-cabin/

Old 02-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #70
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Teleboom crane for a skid steer loader. I am beginning to think that a used skid steer might be handy and for bigger jobs, like brush clearing, bring in a professional with larger equipment.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #71
PirateJohn OP
Banned

This design was a turning point for me. After years of looking for an answer to a mobile or portable house that was more stylish (to me at least) and which was truly portable, I could see doing this. A simple cube. Build it right and it would be sturdy - sturdier than a travel trailer that's for sure. And I wouldn't be constrained by the size and appearance limitations of an ISO container.

And it looks like if I want one that I will have to build and design it myself anyway. This was briefly built as a park model trailer but the company stopped building them and the architect has moved on.

So suddenly this has put me in a position of looking for a place where I can set up a secure workshop, not just for motorcycles but also to proceed with a project like this.

What I am thinking about is building a modified version of this cube in either a park model trailer configuration or a demountable version, so that it would lift off the trailer and sit on the ground.

Towards that end I think that I have a simple design for a jacking system to lift and lower the housing unit. A few hundred in parts, modified commercial stuff. We shall see.

So in order to do a demountable system I need a decent trailer. I have talked to a company that builds commercial boat transport trailers about modifying their design and got a quote of $12,000. I frankly didn't think that was too bad. When I had a company hauling boats with Kenworths over 20 years ago our trailers were on the order of $25,000 each.

A few days ago I ran across this. Almost exactly what I had in mind. For less than $8,000 brand new. Now, if I can just get a deal on a used one ... ;)

PirateJohn screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 12:13 PM
Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #72
PirateJohn OP
Banned

And we all know how plans go. Never tell God your dreams (or post them publicly ;) because sure as the day is long there will be road blocks.

But I am thinking that if I do this totally on my own that it would probably be 2-3 years before I would start construction. Lately, however, I've been getting pretty good about finding $200 solutions for $5,000 problems so we shall see.

So I throw this out here for commentary and review ;)

I might add that if I pursue this course there should be some basic building blocks that I can help folks with. Strong but light truck (already got it), trailer capable of moving small equipment, 20 ft. ISO containers, and so forth. The ability to lift containers.

My carpentry tools and welder are among the things that my ex- is holding hostage or has sold but they can be replaced easily enough and who knows - we'll likely be going in front of a judge later this year. Maybe I will actually get them back.

So if anyone has any carpentry or welding expertise and wants to do a tiny house project of their own this might be an opportunity.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #73
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Somehow this seems appropriate to the conversation... ;)

Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #74
PirateJohn OP
Banned

People often ask me about the costs of getting started in RVing. There are some real bargains out there. Diesel pusher Fleetwood built in 1998. Here in Texas. Asking price of $21,000.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #75
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Interior and exterior of a Cyclone toy hauler travel trailer. I was pretty gung ho about getting one a few months ago but now priorities might be changing. We shall see.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: