ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 37,946
Nikon D7100

This looks to be an interesting camera, Nikon is making it their top of the line DX body so for ~1200 dollars it has:

D300's AF with updated software from the D4

The shutter from the D300 and increased weather sealing to supposedly get it to the 300's level.

24MP sensor.

No AA filter! The D800E has its canceled out but here it's nothing.

6 FPS, 7FPS in a 1.3x crop mode (which makes it roughly a 2.0 crop factor @ 15.4 MP).

1080P 30 FPS 1080i 60 FPS

I've got some unique needs for a camera but I'll share my thoughts since some will cross over.

The first is cost, not only is it a ton cheaper than the D600 the downside of needing DX lenses isn't so bad. On the used market their value has tanked thanks to FX so you can get a D7100 with 2 really good DX lenses for the price of just the D600.

Keeping that 51 point AF is key, I love it on my D700, and here it covers most of the frame.

A huge thing is how much this adds to the usability of my lenses. My 70-210 can be a 420 @ over 15MP! And it offers a 2.8 telephoto option for me. Right now the 70-200 is too heavy but Sigma made a 50-150 that's roughly the same weight as my 70-210 F4

Now 2 things that I need to wait to find out about, 1 is the actual resolution the sensor gets. Without an AA filter it has a good chance for it to be better than the D600. And high ISO performance, if they get it within a stop of the D700 (when down sampled, I don't care as much about pixel peeping) I'd be happy.

Overall the D800 likely would still be a better camera for me, but at well under half the cost this little guy might not be giving up much.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 08:42 AM
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer
 
68deluxe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Phoenix AZ
Oddometer: 12,853
__________________
2010 KTM 990ADV
2004 KTM 250SX
68deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,887
apples - oranges?

isn't the lure of the D800 the huge mpix for those who want the big picture?
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer
 
68deluxe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Phoenix AZ
Oddometer: 12,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
apples - oranges?

isn't the lure of the D800 the huge mpix for those who want the big picture?
IIRC the huge files on the D800 are a negative for the action shots if you are in burst mode taking RAW shots. I have read so much this past week on the 7100, 600 and 800 I am getting the pro's/cons mixed up.
__________________
2010 KTM 990ADV
2004 KTM 250SX
68deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui
 
Sylvia's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: taking pics
Oddometer: 3,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
IIRC the huge files on the D800 are a negative for the action shots if you are in burst mode taking RAW shots. I have read so much this past week on the 7100, 600 and 800 I am getting the pro's/cons mixed up.
They are all good. The 7100 is a really nice little camera. It can be used to gain professional results, as can the 600 and the 800.

Buy what you need or want and take photos.
__________________
Slightly Orange

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 37,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
IIRC the huge files on the D800 are a negative for the action shots if you are in burst mode taking RAW shots. I have read so much this past week on the 7100, 600 and 800 I am getting the pro's/cons mixed up.
Neither are ideal for it, the D800 does at full resolution 4 FPS and fills up after 17 shots. It'll do ~6FPS in DX mode @ ~15MP, not sure how big the buffer is there but better than 17 shots should be all you need for almost any circumstance.

D7100 can go 6FPS in DX mode or 7 FPS with the 1.3x crop mode (giving you a 2x crop factor) but the buffer in both is really small, under 10 shots for DX and ~10 for the crop mode. Still that's a respectable burst, just the other cameras spoil you.

D600 I'm not sure about and I wouldn't have it as my first choice of an action camera due to the small AF coverage.

What's your final output for these? Are they going to be large prints? Shots for the web? If you don't need the resolution (or video) a used D700 with the grip could be a good option giving you 8FPS.

Was it you posting about the boat racing and shooting it with the D50? If so the cropped resolution would be a slightly lower at the same focal length (DX mode for the D700 is 5.3 MP, it wont be noticeable) but everything else about the camera will just blow it away.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer
 
68deluxe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Phoenix AZ
Oddometer: 12,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Neither are ideal for it, the D800 does at full resolution 4 FPS and fills up after 17 shots. It'll do ~6FPS in DX mode @ ~15MP, not sure how big the buffer is there but better than 17 shots should be all you need for almost any circumstance.

D7100 can go 6FPS in DX mode or 7 FPS with the 1.3x crop mode (giving you a 2x crop factor) but the buffer in both is really small, under 10 shots for DX and ~10 for the crop mode. Still that's a respectable burst, just the other cameras spoil you.

D600 I'm not sure about and I wouldn't have it as my first choice of an action camera due to the small AF coverage.

What's your final output for these? Are they going to be large prints? Shots for the web? If you don't need the resolution (or video) a used D700 with the grip could be a good option giving you 8FPS.

Was it you posting about the boat racing and shooting it with the D50? If so the cropped resolution would be a slightly lower at the same focal length (DX mode for the D700 is 5.3 MP, it wont be noticeable) but everything else about the camera will just blow it away.
That was me. I am going to buy the 70-200 2.8 Nikon lens and was trying to decide on the camera upgrade. I can get $300 off the lens if I buy with a new body before the end of the month. But, I keep finding reviews of the D600, D800 and even D7100 where people are having oil/dust issues on the sensor. My local dealer (Tempe Camera) says the D600's did have some problems but not so much now.
__________________
2010 KTM 990ADV
2004 KTM 250SX
68deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer
 
68deluxe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Phoenix AZ
Oddometer: 12,853
I just looked at some reviews on Nikon.usa, Amazon, B&H etc. Only a few negatives (1 or 2 star reviews) about the D7100 and NONE about the D700. Out of @300 D600 reviews there are about 50 1 star ratings mostly for the sensor. There are about the same amount of bad ratings for the D800 but they are split between the sensor and auto-focus problems, something about the left points not working. The search continues.

Edit. I found a used D700 at B&H with 5,000 pics for $1450. Seems like a good deal.
__________________
2010 KTM 990ADV
2004 KTM 250SX

68deluxe screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 01:18 PM
68deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 37,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
I just looked at some reviews on Nikon.usa, Amazon, B&H etc. Only a few negatives (1 or 2 star reviews) about the D7100 and NONE about the D700. Out of @300 D600 reviews there are about 50 1 star ratings mostly for the sensor. There are about the same amount of bad ratings for the D800 but they are split between the sensor and auto-focus problems, something about the left points not working. The search continues.

Edit. I found a used D700 at B&H with 5,000 pics for $1450. Seems like a good deal.
Not sure what the going rate is but that camera should have tons of life left in it as long as it wasn't abuse for those 5,000 shots. Just had a shoot with mine today and still love it
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer
 
68deluxe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Phoenix AZ
Oddometer: 12,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Not sure what the going rate is but that camera should have tons of life left in it as long as it wasn't abuse for those 5,000 shots. Just had a shoot with mine today and still love it
It is rated an "8" with dings/scratches. I am 95% leaning to a D7100 with a 70-200 2.8. The rebates would bring the effective price of the new camera down to $899. Lots of reviewers complain about the weight of the D700 but in my opinion that means more metal and a better built camera. Decisions decisions. I took less time to buy my last car.
__________________
2010 KTM 990ADV
2004 KTM 250SX
68deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #11
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui
 
Sylvia's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: taking pics
Oddometer: 3,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
It is rated an "8" with dings/scratches. I am 95% leaning to a D7100 with a 70-200 2.8. The rebates would bring the effective price of the new camera down to $899. Lots of reviewers complain about the weight of the D700 but in my opinion that means more metal and a better built camera. Decisions decisions. I took less time to buy my last car.
You will not be disappointed with this combination. The 7100 is a step in the right direction, its a magic little camera. The 70-200 is a keeper going forward.

Good luck with your decision.
__________________
Slightly Orange

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
The 70-200 is a keeper going forward.
I was at Budds Creek motocross Saturday and some guy had the new/latest version of the 80-400 lens. I saw some of his pictures on Facebook and they are pretty sweet. I think in hindsight given the brutally strong sun my pictures suffered as I was shooting a lot of wide open F2.8 with the 70-200 which may have been too much light, it was really strong even with a fast shutter. I don't think the 80-400 has the build quality of the 70-200 but it's just a few hundred dollars more and again he's got some killer shots that is one nice lens.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot
 
thumperpilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Southwest Virginia
Oddometer: 5,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Neither are ideal for it, the D800 does at full resolution 4 FPS and fills up after 17 shots. It'll do ~6FPS in DX mode @ ~15MP, not sure how big the buffer is there but better than 17 shots should be all you need for almost any circumstance.

D7100 can go 6FPS in DX mode or 7 FPS with the 1.3x crop mode (giving you a 2x crop factor) but the buffer in both is really small, under 10 shots for DX and ~10 for the crop mode. Still that's a respectable burst, just the other cameras spoil you.
I've run in to that limit with my 7100 a few times already.

Bike train, warp speed, nut to butt.... camera buffer fills up quick.

.
__________________
I'm just too damn lazy to hold a grudge. The time invested isn't worth the aggravation it takes to stay mad.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui
 
Sylvia's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: taking pics
Oddometer: 3,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I was at Budds Creek motocross Saturday and some guy had the new/latest version of the 80-400 lens. I saw some of his pictures on Facebook and they are pretty sweet. I think in hindsight given the brutally strong sun my pictures suffered as I was shooting a lot of wide open F2.8 with the 70-200 which may have been too much light, it was really strong even with a fast shutter. I don't think the 80-400 has the build quality of the 70-200 but it's just a few hundred dollars more and again he's got some killer shots that is one nice lens.
Howdi flug,
The new 80-400 is getting some really good press. Some are comparing its results to the super tele's At some apertures and distances it does come close in results from what I have seen. It is also apparently very fast to focus, you would have a very versatile beast, hand held and all.
__________________
Slightly Orange

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 37,946
Oh important question I don't know if I asked in the past, what kinda CPU (you can find out the exact model number on windows at least by right clicking "computer" on the start menu and going to properties) does your computer have? 24, and 36 MP images can really do a number on even a good processor.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014