Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #16
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
Howdi flug,
The new 80-400 is getting some really good press. Some are comparing its results to the super tele's At some apertures and distances it does come close in results from what I have seen. It is also apparently very fast to focus, you would have a very versatile beast, hand held and all.
howdy howdy.

what do you know about the build quality? I believe the 70-200 and the 200 and 300 primes are build to a higher quality of overall construction and materials.

I'm thinking this lens is not quite in that league but from the pictures that guy got at Budds Creek, who cares!!??
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #17
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
howdy howdy.

what do you know about the build quality? I believe the 70-200 and the 200 and 300 primes are build to a higher quality of overall construction and materials.

I'm thinking this lens is not quite in that league but from the pictures that guy got at Budds Creek, who cares!!??
No the guy from buds appears to be shooting a 300/2.8 canon for the majority of the action shots. The 80-400 can only compete on the long end (400) at 7.1 ish and above anyway from all reports.

The 70-200 will be the same as the 80-400, make no mistake. Neither are in the big prime arena.

The superteles are in a league of their own. Go pick one up, nuff said.

Good luck sorting it out Scotty.

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,610
I finally tested one out and tried out 2 main things:

1) There were some rumblings on forums about compatibility issues with older 3rd party lenses, I have a bunch from the early-mid 2000's and they all AF'd fine on it.

2) High ISO, I know for studio work it'll do the job so this was the area I was concerned about and the verdict is that especially in Hi 1.0/2.0 (ISO 12,800/25,600) it actually does better than the D700. I didn't pixel peep, instead I took 2 photos at the same settings with equivalent focal lengths and zoomed into the same areas to fill the screen equally. The D7100 had much finer noise making for finer details and there was no real "ugly" noise on either. An added benefit is I saw no banding on the D7100's Hi 2.0 setting. And I tried running both through my lightroom settings for B&W concert/event work and the D7100 again came out ahead.

The only really annoying thing is coming from a Fuji S5/D700 combo that I've been using for years and years now is getting used to the lack of physical controls, but that's a minor issue.

And one thing for anyone thinking of a new body with this many MP to do before buying is take home some RAW files and run them through your normal processing methods. The D800 pretty much eliminated itself from the running since I'd need a new computer and I'm hoping to hold off a little longer to get a bigger jump in performance, the D7100 still has a bit of lag but it's not horrible. Just to give an idea of what I'm using for a CPU (and it was CPU limited, I could see that spike as it changed settings) it's a Intel Xeon w3540 which is a 2.93 GHz chip from 2010, not the top of the line from that era but not far off.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #19
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

And I bought it

It was supposed to come in next week, but I got it yesterday right before a show so that was the perfect time to test it out.....just I don't have much in the way of SD cards. Which is the first thing about this camera, buy a fast SD card it's needed! I was on a class 10 16GB I use on my Nikon P300 and it was fine for single images but just couldn't hack it with bursts.

Now for how it shoots, and the answer is

Handling:
I was using it side by side with a D700 (which is considered an amazing camera in how it functions so I'm using a really high benchmark) switching between the bodies was no big issue at all, I was shooting manually so the only thing I had to remember was the button on the back you press for ISO instead of on top....and really those multi-use buttons are the only thing that is much of an annoyance VS the larger Nikon bodies I'm used to. The viewfinder is also really big for DX and bright, I'm sure it isn't as big as my D700 but it wasn't so small that I really noticed it so that's saying something. Also in some circumstances its' much quieter shutter sound is really nice. People have said the AF is not to the level of the other 51 point systems but in this experience (which was low light) again there was no real noticeable difference. And that's why I went for the D7100 over the D600, I really need that dynamic range and resolution at base ISO (shooting white on white is a bit challenging) for studio work but for everything else I'd like it to be closer to my D700 so I don't have to think as much when picking up the other body.

Image Quality:
I was shooting ISO 3,200-25,600 and it was up there or bettered the D700. The only thing it didn't seem to handle as well were brightly lit reds, though those are always a pain. Going through lightroom zoomed out they look a little crisper than equivalent D700 images (100% there is more noise but with twice the MP it ends up being a good bit finer). And when you do zoom in especially ISO 6,400 and below it's at all the detail that's there. Just a side note, this is pretty damn amazing, it's a smaller sensor with twice the MP, what a difference 5 years in technology can make.

The pics from this show aren't too ADV friendly especially above the basement but I have a regular concert on Sunday which if my 64 GB card comes in I plan to shoot exclusively with the D7100 and I'll show the results.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 09:08 AM
Old 08-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,333
Awesome.

Once I fill in my glass collection a little better, a 2nd body is certainly on the list... this looks like a great body.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #21
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Update: With the faster (80 mb/s) SD card it will do about 7 shots to fill the buffer, then takes ~1 second to clear. With a full buffer you go down to maybe 1-2 FPS? I haven't measured it but it's still moving.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #22
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,390
Congrats on the new toy. Are you keeping the D700?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #23
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
This makes me want to sell my D5100 and go 7100.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #24
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,903
They're just incremental changes. It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.

Take pics. Create memories.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
Congrats on the new toy. Are you keeping the D700?
Yup! They make a great combo, the D7100 is a good bit lighter and with crop lenses it helps even more. Plus the D700 still handles bright red lights better, and there's that razor thin DOF from FF.

With video you see the shake I deal with a lot I'm going to ask the band and just make sure it's cool to post that video. It's high ISO @ 6400 so you'll see grain but also the nice effects from a F1.8 lens. The shots I have from that night I can post for sure when they're done (they're going on my public page already), this was a trial by fire since I didn't bring the D700 and many shots were ISO 12,800.

The great news for anyone with iffy hands is that extra reach! Instead of my 70-210 F4 I was able to use my 28-75 F2.8, I know I mentioned the lightness before but it's worth saying again

Finally for the buffer with a step below top of the line card (Sandisk Extreme 80 mb/s, the extreme pro os 95 mb/s) I didn't notice any real problems.

Edit: For low ISO samples I'm doing a studio product shoot whenever my wireless trigger comes in (no PC sync port on the 7100 has me finally getting away from that annoying wire!) so I know this is a dangerous question here on ADV but any ideas for what I should take pics of for samples?

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 02:39 PM
Old 08-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #26
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
This makes me want to sell my D5100 and go 7100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
They're just incremental changes. It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.

Take pics. Create memories.

Though the D7100 does offer up a selection of cheaper lenses which use an AF motor in the camera that the D3xxx/D5xxx series cameras can't AF with. So if you want that or the front control dial then the D7100 would be more worth it. For image quality it is a nice bump in dynamic range, and it likely will be sharper (but only with very, very sharp lenses) BUT not a big enough jump to make it a gotta have. You will get better overall images investing in lenses if you don't have higher quality ones yet.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post

Though the D7100 does offer up a selection of cheaper lenses which use an AF motor in the camera that the D3xxx/D5xxx series cameras can't AF with. So if you want that or the front control dial then the D7100 would be more worth it. For image quality it is a nice bump in dynamic range, and it likely will be sharper (but only with very, very sharp lenses) BUT not a big enough jump to make it a gotta have. You will get better overall images investing in lenses if you don't have higher quality ones yet.
Alright... I'll keep shooting my 5100...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,903
I was just stirring the shit.

I like Canons instead of Nikons.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #29
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
I was just stirring the shit.

I like Canons instead of Nikons.

I love my Canon! Camera bag that is

Camera nerds will probably be giving me looks as I pull a D700/D7100 out of it.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,333

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: