User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
AR-TRVLR OP
Bushpusher

Oddometer: 202
Bilt Apollo Modular Helmet? Opinions?

Cycle Gear has them at an intro price of $99.99, $100 off their normal price.

They include a drop-down internal sun shield which makes them tempting....

Sent from my HTC One X
AR-TRVLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
jprovence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
My brothers leaks a lot with wind. He is pretty jealous of my neotec.
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
archeranger
honest optimist

Oddometer: 46
What could I do with $500?

He may be jealous of your neotec but I bet he enjoys having $500 for the best farkle ever... Gas!

Or a snazzy new riding jacket...
Or a gift for his wife to keep her happy during his ride to Alaska...
Or the new flat screen in the den...
archeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
AR-TRVLR OP
Bushpusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfFleece View Post
It's your head.
From a safety standpoint, all helmets do basically the same thing, and meet the same standards.

The price difference seems to relate to the fit, finish, and amenities. I'm just trying to get any real measure of if the $500 jump in price is worth it.

Quote:
It's your head.
I remember what my SCUBA instructor trainor told me as I was getting my mixed gas instructor rating. he said watch what to pros use and use that. It works. After 10 years of having students show up with gear from all over the place I'd concour. The name brand stuff that cost more at the start cost less in the end as plenty of students ditched cheaper gear for good stuff. My .02. YMMV.
Since the pros use their equipment all the time, the price difference is clearly worth it. For people who only use their gear a few times a year? I'm not so sure the math pencils out.

YMMV.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
AR-TRVLR OP
Bushpusher

Quote:
When you need your gear you need your gear. As we all say, YMMV. Carry on.

As for standards, I take those with a grain of salt. Most do not take into account twisting forces, to name one , and a whole host of other real world situations. I'm not for telling a person what to do or not BUT I'd take a hard look at the claims of any manufacture claiming their stuff at $$$$$$ is the same as other stuff at $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Not to put too fine a point on it but a lot of us have seen close-up what happens in a get-off. Again, YMMV and good on ya whatever it is.
So do you have any actual experience with the Bilt Apollo, or are you just a gear snob that poo-poos the safety of anything that is inexpensive? So far you've added nothing of technical value to the discussion, other than to buy what the pro's use because they know what they're doing, and anything else is unsafe. Frankly, I think that's crap.

Also, do you have any documented examples of them failing in use, or is it all rumor and innuendo? In todays litigious society I'd be surprised that a manufacturer would release an item that would fail in an unsafe manner - that would be a slam-dunk lawsuit.

And I do, in fact, have personal experience in the value of safety gear. I believe in it.

My interest is in knowing about the function of the Bilt Apollo, from actual users or people who have examined them. Is the difference in price mostly fit and finish? Wind noise?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
meatwitheyes
Bon Vivant

Oddometer: 1,701
I have a Bilt Solar Modular Helmet, had it about a year now. It was cheap under $100 it fits my head, fairly comfortable. I like the internal visor and it works fine. On the negative side it is noisy, has some strange little rattles I believe are coming from the vents. I have to tighten the large fasteners once in a while, that make up the hing on the flip up. But it works OK I am generally pleased with it. Only because I bought it for an around town helmet. I almost never take it up to Highway speeds for very long so the fact that it's noisy is not much of a problem. Plus if some thief decides to take it of my bike its not a huge loss. If I'm going for a ride out of town, or a trip or other, then I wear my Nolan.

The Taciturn Misanthropist... Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
All education is liberalizing
meatwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
djpirocchi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I am interrested as well :^)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
1982 BMW R100RS
djpirocchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
mikecarpenter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Straying a little bit. I bought in to the introductory special on the Bilt explorer last November. Absolute worst fitting helmet ever for me. I'm certainly not a gear snob by any means. I've got 4 HJC's, a Bell, a Klim, and a recently purchased Arai on the shelf all XL size. Had to go to XXL in the Bilt and it still feels like its going to tear my ears off. I'd wear it around the house a couple of hours before going out with it as Cycle Gear has very liberal return policy's but not after wearing it on a two day, multiple get-off ride.
mikecarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 686
You are 100% correct. I do have some experience that I'll keep to myself.
Sorry to have bothered you.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote