Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
dmac57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,630
Navigator IV Quick Disconnect?

Question for the collective: Looking at putting a Nav IV onto an R1200GS. Unlike the SP 2720 I have at the present, it appears that the Navigator cradle (as well as the 660 cradle) are "hard wired," meaning that the leads from the cradle to the power supply don't unplug. That appears to mean that while you can disconnect either GPS receiver from the cradle, the cradle stays on the bike permanently, whether you have it clamped to the crossbar or to some flavor of RAM mount. Have I sorted this out correctly? Even if I have, has anyone found a way to pull the receiver and the cradle while leaving the wiring in place? Thx!
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
I have my Zumo 450 powered from an accessory port on left hand side of the beak on my BMW.
My Zumo rarely is removed from its cradle, only when I need to connect it to my home computer.
The power cord stays connected to the Mount, (cradle), all the time. When I remove the unit from my bike, I unplug the short power cord from the accessory port on my beak. Power cord, cradle, and Zumo are removed as one package and placed into a saddlebag or my room for the night.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
Question for the collective: Looking at putting a Nav IV onto an R1200GS. Unlike the SP 2720 I have at the present, it appears that the Navigator cradle (as well as the 660 cradle) are "hard wired," meaning that the leads from the cradle to the power supply don't unplug. That appears to mean that while you can disconnect either GPS receiver from the cradle, the cradle stays on the bike permanently, whether you have it clamped to the crossbar or to some flavor of RAM mount. Have I sorted this out correctly? Even if I have, has anyone found a way to pull the receiver and the cradle while leaving the wiring in place? Thx!
Cradle and wires stay in place, GPS itself comes off when Im going to leave the bike. I have a feeling that modding the cradle to make it removable would probably cause electrical and waterproofing issues down the line.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
I have a feeling that modding the cradle to make it removable would probably cause electrical and waterproofing issues down the line.
What, the cradle won’t fit onto a RAM mount?

I just have a RAM mount mounted on my handlebars just below the clutch perch. It works great and I can remove my whole unit in about 30 seconds.

The only times I feel I need to remove the unit is when I am having lunch in a wonky area, I like real Mexican food, or when at a motel
Untill I'm ready
Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
dmac57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
What, the cradle won’t fit onto a RAM mount?

I just have a RAM mount mounted on my handlebars just below the clutch perch. It works great and I can remove my whole unit in about 30 seconds.
No, I think he meant making the cradle removable while leaving the wiring in place, which is what I'd like to do. I probably do at least 80% of my riding without the 2720. Well 100% right now, because I haven't even wired the power lead onto the 1200. But on the 1150, it was 80%. The power lead stayed in place, then all I had to do was attach the RAM arm and cradle, plug in the unit and go. I'd just rather not have the Nav IV cradle on there all the time, as it looks like my plan is to mount it to a MiGSel RAM mount, rather than the accessory cross bar. I just like the idea of the OE plug and play wiring rather than using an accessory socket, or DIY hard wire.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:08 AM   #6
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,697
If you search the forum, you will find multiple similar threads.

Basically, you can use your choice of power connectors and then a removeable type mount (RAM or otherwise) or one of your design.

Then you can unplug the cord, disconnect the mount, and remove the whole thing.

Some people just use SAE connectors for power, others have used more weatherproof connectors, powerlet connectors, etc.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
dmac57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, I guess I'm just looking for a solution that Garmin didn't design into the unit; removing the unit (including the cradle) while leaving the wiring in place. I guess leaving the cradle there with the weather cap on the terminals won't be that bad.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Some people just use SAE connectors for power, others have used more weatherproof connectors, powerlet connectors, etc.
Yep, Powerlet/BMW is the way to go IMO. BMW makes a kit for what I did; also, it was an option for the bike when I bought my GS. It was an easy, inexpensive upgrade.
Untill I'm ready
Old 03-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
dmac57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

That's not the end I want to quickly disconnect. I want the MC mount to work like the car mount; unplug at the cradle.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Mudcat
Unregistered

I know, I was commenting and expanding on Dave’s post.
Untill I'm ready