Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #61
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,409
I've had over 20 cruisers, and never spent a penny on "bling" All of them had stock pipes. I did add backrests, luggage racks, saddlebags, windshields, better grips, all functional stuff. I bought them to ride. My current Vulcan 750 may not look like it in the pictures (cheap camera) but it is plenty dirty and has a lot of scratches from it's almost 80,000 miles. I wash it occasionally, but never bother with detailing. IMO, even washing does more harm to a bike than leaving it alone. I have a dual sport bike I've had for 10 years, and it has never been washed. I do over maintain it, so the chain and air filter get cleaned, the oil gets changed, the cables and some other things get lubed, but the only cleaning I've ever done is around the airbox cover, oil filler, and spark plug hole, to keep dirt out of the engine. I used to spend too much time cleaning and waxing my bikes back when I was a lot younger, back then I actually enjoyed it. But there is no way to keep a bike clean in the AZ desert, even when you keep it in a garage. Dust and sand are everywhere.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #62
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
hey P that a cool thing to put your bike on a dyno. By looking at this chart I think I would like the v-star even with the added weight, I don't care for 0-60 or the bling bling, I just like to ride, I guess I am the type of rider that will spend more money on seats, racks and gas than chrome accents!!

Thanks for sharing this!

Damasovi
You're welcome

I almost forgot to tell you about the biggest downside to the V-Star 650 - its charging system. The charging system puts out about 240 watts at highway speed. Now, the bike uses about 180 watts just riding around so it sounds good, right? Well, there's a bit of a complication. There's a pair of electric carburetor heaters that kick in at any temperature below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Those heaters use 60 watts. If you're adding everything up, that means that my bike uses all of its electrical power at highway speed if the temp is below 50. If you're just going around town and it's colder than 50 degrees, you're going to be discharging the battery.
I don't get too much highway riding time, so I've taken to hooking the bike up to a battery charger every couple of days
Old 03-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #63
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 676
I put 14000 miles on a Triumph America in one Northeast riding season. Rode with every type of cruiser and never regretted one mile. That bike is WAY under the radar.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:29 AM   #64
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Not putting out enough electrical power can be a problem. Putting out too much power can be an even bigger problem. I had an '85 Goldwing 1200LTD (the fuel injected model) and it had a 500 watt stator. The bike with no accessories probably used less than 200 watts. Heres where things get complicated. Motorcycle stators, unlike car alternators, do not vary their output based on load. They run wide open all the time. The extra power that is not used is literally SHORTED to ground by the regulator, turning it into heat. Now, this is a dumb way to do it in the first place, using engine power to generate more electrical power than is needed, but then disposing of it as heat is even dumber. Yes, brakes waste energy as heat, which makes them wear out faster. That's unfortunate, but there is not much you can do about it. But alternator output can be controlled. It's always been done that way on cars, and is on '88 and up Goldwings with real alternators. The problem I ran into with that 500 watt stator running full blast all the time was that the regulator couldn't handle the excess current, and got red hot. Hot enough to set some wires on fire at one point. A higher capacity regulator with the ability to dissipate heat better would have been a band aid solution, but IMO the whole concept is wrong. I have never had a problem with the charging system on any other bike (I did rig a headlight off switch on some of them so I could use the power for my electric gloves) but I never had a bike that made 500 watts either. This was clearly a design flaw by Honda.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #65
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff View Post
It's funny - I didn't know what I didn't know when I was first looking at bikes. I wondered if 50 horsepower in a BMW F650 single would be enough for me, but then thought my V-Star was just fine
Yeah, most of the cruisers in that class are about that hp:weight ratio. Torque is pretty close too.

Those bikes have a whole nother personality to riding. Like a tractor. You just short shift it and go where you're going, smelling the roses as you go.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #66
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,572
well,

yesterday I went to my local multi-brand dealer and I had a chance to sit on several of the cruiser models. I had forgotten what the feeling was like, and now I can see why you mention the good and the bad of theses bikes, nice seats (couch like) a lot of weigh on the back and the feet forward thing.

I also sat on the smaller side of the cc's I sat on the vstar 250 and notice I have a "correct" size for the bike, then next to it was the rebel and NOP not for me, I don't have word to describe it, it just wasn't for me.
Also a sit test were given to all 750 shadows and the 650 and 950 from vstar, and that was all the time I had since the store closes at 6 pm and I only had 15 min. and still had to order a face shield.

As you have notice, I want something for me, and not for bling, I am having a lot of fun with my scooter and all 100 cc than come with it, so I was thinking a 125-250 would be the same just better (faster and hwy legal if a 250 was chosen). I know the 2 up will be gone, but I think I care even less now than when I first ask about cruisers.

I am guessing there isn't much power on the v-star 250, maybe cruising speeds of 50-55 mph? I did read that gives you just over 70 mpg and that sounds nice (mpg's and mph).

I did like the much bigger bike feeling of the 650-750...

I which I was rich!!!

Damasovi
Old 03-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #67
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post

Those bikes have a whole nother personality to riding. Like a tractor. You just short shift it and go where you're going, smelling the roses as you go.
And that is exactly why I love cruisers. There is nothing better when you want to "just ride" and not get a major workout in the process.

I had a Rebel 250, I was WAY to big for it. I moved the pegs, shifter and rear brake 4" forward, and reworked the rear of the riders part of the seat, and managed to put over 20,000 miles on it. It was anything but comfortable, but a lot better than any sport bike, even an EX500. I have seen large people ride Rebels on the highway by putting low bars on them, and using the passenger pegs, for almost a sport bike riding position. The Rebel is the way it is because way back in '85, Honda made an almost exact copy of the Harley FXR, and scaled it down. When they did that the proportions came out all wrong for anyone over about 5'4"

The V-Star 250 will easily cruise at highway speeds on a flat road. It's climbing that slows it down. I hit a GPS indicated 80 mph with my Rebel a few times, but it didn't happen very often. Another great cruiser for someone to big to fit on a Rebel is the Suzuki S40. Ergo wise it is a perfect fit for me. If I were looking for an inexpensive cruiser, that's what I'd be looking for. Plus it has belt drive and that beautiful engine.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #68
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
well,

yesterday I went to my local multi-brand dealer and I had a chance to sit on several of the cruiser models. I had forgotten what the feeling was like, and now I can see why you mention the good and the bad of theses bikes, nice seats (couch like) a lot of weigh on the back and the feet forward thing.

I also sat on the smaller side of the cc's I sat on the vstar 250 and notice I have a "correct" size for the bike, then next to it was the rebel and NOP not for me, I don't have word to describe it, it just wasn't for me.
Also a sit test were given to all 750 shadows and the 650 and 950 from vstar, and that was all the time I had since the store closes at 6 pm and I only had 15 min. and still had to order a face shield.

As you have notice, I want something for me, and not for bling, I am having a lot of fun with my scooter and all 100 cc than come with it, so I was thinking a 125-250 would be the same just better (faster and hwy legal if a 250 was chosen). I know the 2 up will be gone, but I think I care even less now than when I first ask about cruisers.

I am guessing there isn't much power on the v-star 250, maybe cruising speeds of 50-55 mph? I did read that gives you just over 70 mpg and that sounds nice (mpg's and mph).

I did like the much bigger bike feeling of the 650-750...

I which I was rich!!!

Damasovi
Most people are not too happy with 250s for very long. Not even the 500-650s, to be honest. The 800-950 bikes are very fun and those seem to keep poeple happy longer. However, the upgrade bug bites everyone eventually, this is why it is best to buy used, especially if you don't have much money to piss away. There is no way in hell i would buy a brand new 250cc bike. There are way too many of those used for nearly half the price with barely any miles to be had on craigslist. Save your cash, be patient and keep looking.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #69
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Most people are not too happy with 250s for very long. Not even the 500-650s, to be honest. The 800-950 bikes are very fun and those seem to keep poeple happy longer. However, the upgrade bug bites everyone eventually, this is why it is best to buy used, especially if you don't have much money to piss away. There is no way in hell i would buy a brand new 250cc bike. There are way too many of those used for nearly half the price with barely any miles to be had on craigslist. Save your cash, be patient and keep looking.
yes I read this before. I once was a 250 cc owner myself, bough the Tornado 250 from honda at 0 km, and only sold it because i need it to pay some very urgent, and expensive expense, other wise I would still own it (my father inlaw bought and still has it after like 5 years and he is so happy on it, (and it is on the short list or bikes I can actually buy). That same goes for my 100 cc scooter, I am keeping that until it moves no more, or someone really wants it (like my wife or 5 year old when she is like 15?)
But you are correct, there could be a ninja 250 out there with my name on it! or a tw200 or xt225-250... I just have to keep drinking water or let someone else pay for my beer and I will all set!

Damasovi
Old 03-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #70
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 385
Have Ridden almost every model of 250cc Roadbike currently available in North America and Kawi's Ninja 250R arguably is the most Bike for buck of the bunch ... Honda's new CBR250R is up there too ... followed by Suzuki's TU250X.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #71
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmSC View Post
I find the 650 star to be small...smaller than my HD sporty.
I had an 883, and a V-Star 650 classic and found it the other way around.

The V-Star felt like a bigger than the 883 sitting on it, and smaller going down the road. I liked the V-Star better, but in the way one would say they like a Toyota Tercel better than a Ford Fiesta.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #72
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
well,

Just keep in mind that the feet forward position can be changed with floorboards. It's probably one of the best changes I made on my Triumph I wouldn't trust them to stand up on, but now I have a multitude of foot positions as the day progresses. Much better than being stuck in just one.
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #73
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Not everybody "upgrades", on size anyway. I have down graded quite a few times. There was a time when I wouldn't have been caught dead on a scooter. or a 125 or 250cc motorcycle, now I love them.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #74
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Not everybody "upgrades", on size anyway. I have down graded quite a few times. There was a time when I wouldn't have been caught dead on a scooter. or a 125 or 250cc motorcycle, now I love them.

My wife has had 3 Rebel 250's. Definitely too small for me, but since she didn't ride very often, I would take her bike for a spin occasionally, just to keep it running. It's amazing how much fun a small bike can be.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #75
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
If you're really hell bent on a 250, consider the suzuki gz 250. It's one of the more comfortable ones
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote