Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #46
Vankaye OP
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 212
I predict you'll say that this would not be a good place to be assertive - but I see it all the time and it's just crazy!

Look at this pic. There's a person in the cross walk on a yellow light, construction warnings, guy driving into oncoming traffic, a bus straddling two lanes, a broken down taxi cab... is the guy in the Volvo tokin' on a doobie??

Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #47
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
I predict you'll say that this would not be a good place to be assertive - but I see it all the time and it's just crazy!

Look at this pic. There's a person in the cross walk on a yellow light, construction warnings, guy driving into oncoming traffic, a bus straddling two lanes, a broken down taxi cab... is the guy in the Volvo tokin' on a doobie??
Yes, assertive as hell. Identify the threats, identify a place to be that minimizes exposure to those threats, identify a safe path to get there, and get the hell there ASAP.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (233,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #48
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Yes, assertive as hell. Identify the threats, identify a place to be that minimizes exposure to those threats, identify a safe path to get there, and get the hell there ASAP.

PhilB
....... and get taken out by a road raging cager on the way.
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #49
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,052
As a Transplant in Germany, I drive/ride As fast As i Want To, where it's permitted.

I personnally Find speed limits on Open, limited Access highways go be a Far larger Infräction of My rights Than My helmet. I honestly hate driving in The US now.

99% of staying alive on The Road is using good judgement To evaluate conditions around you and respond properly. Sometimes, speed is a proper response.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #50
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
Great discussion. I really like you guys.
Give it time.......more than one of these FF's will piss you off. But it's all about the love.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #51
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
In fact, the whole idea of getting hit from behind is statistically laughable. You know how many people get hit from behind on mopeds? In my experience VERY, VERY few (a rate so much lower than motorcycle crashes as to be statistically 0), and that's with cars buzzing past them on their entire journey no matter where they are going.
Sure it is statistically unlikely, but when that unlikely thing happens it can royally screw up your day. Hell, my brother got hit from behind 2 times in a 2 month period in his fat-assed 2005 Mustang GT (right when he was trying to sell it of course). Both times was when traffic was at a complete stop and the person behind him wasn't paying attention.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #52
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Sure it is statistically unlikely, but when that unlikely thing happens it can royally screw up your day. Hell, my brother got hit from behind 2 times in a 2 month period in his fat-assed 2005 Mustang GT (right when he was trying to sell it of course). Both times was when traffic was at a complete stop and the person behind him wasn't paying attention.
I agree that it happens. There are lots of stories, youtube videos, etc. as evidence of that.

So we shouldn't just give up on what is behind us. My argument is that what is in front of us is what is killing and/or seriously injuring us at a far greater rate. There is MUCH more evidence of that.
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #53
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
So we shouldn't just give up on what is behind us. My argument is that what is in front of us is what is killing and/or seriously injuring us at a far greater rate. There is MUCH more evidence of that.
Yep, cannot argue with that.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #54
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
As a Transplant in Germany, I drive/ride As fast As i Want To, where it's permitted.

I personnally Find speed limits on Open, limited Access highways go be a Far larger Infräction of My rights Than My helmet..

As a transplant from Germany, do you know that when driving in the US and/or Canada you have NO/ZERO/NADA 'rights' as far as use of public roads is concerned?
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #55
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
....... and get taken out by a road raging cager on the way.
I guess you failed to read the steps involved, especially step 3, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post

I personnally Find speed limits on Open, limited Access highways go be a Far larger Infräction of My rights Than My helmet. I honestly hate driving in The US now.
As a transplant from Germany, do you know that when driving in the US and/or Canada you have NO/ZERO/NADA 'rights' as far as use of public roads is concerned?
Not quite correct. We DO have rights to travel, inherently. Our government is refusing to RESPECT those rights as far as use of public roads is concerned. Functionally, those are similar, but are not the same thing.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (233,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #56
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
agree. That's because our system is based on rules when it should be based on skill. The rules are EVERYTHING
Based on whos skills?
Old 02-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #57
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Based on whos skills?
....ill leave the grammar correcting to someone else

That's the point! The way the system is now ( at least in California ) it just ushers people through to get their licenses as quickly as possible, and people getting their license is only contingent upon answering the questions correctly. Anyone that has taken the driving test can tell you, it requires VERY little skill in order to pass. Hell, I was in the car for mayyyybe 4 minutes.
If we had a system based on your skill level, the more skilled and educated you were you could get a different license and each higher tiered license comes with higher speed limits....
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #58
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Statistically speaking, you are almost surely only going to hurt yourself and provide me and my colleagues some job security in the process
Statistics are irrelevant. What actually occurs is what matters.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #59
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Well, I like going fast, always did, but never needed or used more speed to get out of a jam.
I don't get in a jam in the first place.

Modern sport bikes leave no room for error, they can get up to high speeds very quickly...

I think there are more accidents involving bikes not being able to make a turn (due to lack of lean angle) then sport bike crashes around here.

Great thread - most everyone is being quite reasonable, what a nice change.

However, I simply MUST take exception to the highlighted passage; while modern sportbikes ARE quite capable of going VERY fast, very quickly it is NOT the case where "THEY" (the bike) left little room for error - that was the operator. In every case I have experienced, the bike was doing exactly what it was being told to do. Yes, high-hp bikes have the POTENTIAL to go very fast, but as I tell the hand-wringers I know - the throttle works BOTH ways and it is NOT like it is a lightswitch - if anything, the last dozen Superbikes I've ridden were the picture of controllability - if you were riding it too fast that is simply NOT the fault of the machinery.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #60
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,076
I think maybe what he meant was they are very unforgiving. A small mistake can turn into a huge mistake in no time at all.
Coming from riding a lot of dirtbikes, that was the first thing I noticed and continue to notice about focused streetbikes.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote