Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #61
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Yeah, I kinda know what he meant, just drives me batty when people say things like "Bikes nowadays are too fast." --- always has me biting my tongue to keep from saying "Well, too fast for THAT guy."

I have ridden streetbikes for 30+ years - and yes, a few 'surprised' me a little when I arrived at the apex much more quickly than I anticipated, but somehow I've never run completely out of road and talent at the same time. Over-active survival instinct or just a slow old guy ?

Who knows.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #62
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
Yeah, I kinda know what he meant, just drives me batty when people say things like "Bikes nowadays are too fast." --- always has me biting my tongue to keep from saying "Well, too fast for THAT guy."

I have ridden streetbikes for 30+ years - and yes, a few 'surprised' me a little when I arrived at the apex much more quickly than I anticipated, but somehow I've never run completely out of road and talent at the same time. Over-active survival instinct or just a slow old guy ?

Who knows.
Personally, I'm just better on more dirt oriented bikes. Whenever i jump on a proper streetbike I start feeling out of place and going slowly when I know on a GS or even a DRZ I could be going much faster.
Maybe it's because im big, heavy and a sloppy rider?

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #63
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post

Twice now. Doesn't seem so statistically laughable when you're flying into oncoming traffic.
Furthermore, I know at least two other riders that have nearly been killed by being rear ended, so please don't lull people reading this thread into believing it doesn't happen very often
Striking a large animal and getting hit from behind, while not high on total MC accident rates, are two of the accidents that a skilled rider is least able to defend against. At least in CA we can dive between lanes of slowing cars and pretty much defend against getting hit from behind, but it still can happen.

Deer, when I am states like Texas, scare the crap out of me as dawn and dusk. I've riden less than 15 days in my life in Texas and a near deer strike was the closest I've come to an accident on the street.

Lawnmowers. They will get you every time.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #64
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
Deer, when I am states like Texas, scare the crap out of me as dawn and dusk. I've riden less than 15 days in my life in Texas and a near deer strike was the closest I've come to an accident on the street.

I know, right? I AM the outlier statistic.....is there anything more random with which to be hit? A Zamboni perhaps?

and the deer thing I have limited experience with..... I have had a few close calls and those things come out of NOWHERE. I can see those being a real danger to themselves and bikers
Quote:
Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #65
UrsaMobili
Left Coast Expat

Oddometer: 62
Wicked The truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post

The Hurt report should be our bible here. (WTF ???, this misleading piece of $**t? It wasn't right when it was published; what makes it more relevant today? ) It is the most significant and comprehensive piece of motorcycle safety research ever completed, and it says (paraphrasing here) that motorcyclists are most likely to get killed and seriously injured when they hit something with the front of their motorcycles. BTW, this is backed up by my personal, anecdotal evidence of having been at the scene of hundreds of motorcycle accidents.

So, how do you prevent hitting something with the front of your bike?
[/B]
Sixty posts and counting, and nobody revealed the truth!
"You just LAY 'er down"

Don't 205 me. It is the truth and noting but the truth. Ask any dentist/lawer/(insert your favorite occupation here).

Now go out and ride some.
UrsaMobili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #66
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsaMobili View Post
Sixty posts and counting, and nobody revealed the truth!
"You just LAY 'er down"

Don't 205 me. It is the truth and noting but the truth. Ask any dentist/lawer/(insert your favorite occupation here).

Now go out and ride some.
Well played, and god I wish!

Snowing here :(

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #67
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
Striking a large animal and getting hit from behind, while not high on total MC accident rates, are two of the accidents that a skilled rider is least able to defend against. At least in CA we can dive between lanes of slowing cars and pretty much defend against getting hit from behind, but it still can happen.

Completely agree. Deer are like motorcycle snipers.

That's why all this chest beating about how I can control my surroundings through assertive riding kind of drives me nuts.

There will sometimes be things you can't control or avoid. Going faster doesn't change that. It just makes it hurt worse when you hit it.

2013 V-Strom
Old 02-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #68
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Hmm. Slow down for tailgaters...interesting concept...

I got a redlight ticket in the mail with the pictures and all. What do you know, it was raining, and the car behind me ran it too, all up on my ass when I had my GS500. Had I tried to stop- it wouldve been worse than a $100 fine.

I had a jeep riding my ass one day, tried slowing up, tried switching lanes, to no avail. He was determined to run me down. I quickly blast around the car in front of me- did not know it was a cop lol. Clocked doing 63mph in the 40, enough to get me arrested here. I told the honest truth about it being for my safety- he let me off the hook.

He was doing his job.

That being said, anytime your going excessive speeds on a public road- its not safe. Im not saying 65 in the 60 is unsafe. But even on what appears to be a wide open freeway- 100+ is unsafe.

Me, I ride a 250....I cant really go much past 60. But I also dont even look at my speedo elsewhere. Go relaxed speeds with an alert mindset. Especially after I got SMIDSY'd.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #69
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
That's why all this chest beating about how I can control my surroundings through assertive riding kind of drives me nuts.
I think these claims are mostly from riders who are used to riding in urban areas where it's more like a warzone.... and to keep moving is to stay alive.
It's not necessarily controlling the surroundings as it's an attempt to initiate movement rather than having it initiated upon yourself..
Quote:
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #70
Antiquar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
I think these claims are mostly from riders who are used to riding in urban areas where it's more like a warzone.... and to keep moving is to stay alive.
It's not necessarily controlling the surroundings as it's an attempt to initiate movement rather than having it initiated upon yourself..
Quoted for truth. I live in Los Angeles but work in suburbia (Orange County) some miles south.

"Warzone" is the perfect term to describe LA road culture. Drivers are extremely aggressive. They routinely run red lights, stop suddenly and without warning, tailgate, text or fiddle with gadgets in their cars, drive drunk or hopped up on god knows what. Couple them with poor road conditions for extra fun. Riding assertively comes with its own risks and does not necessarily mean safety, but given the road culture and traffic it's often the best option. If there's little traffic around obviously it behooves one to slow down, but when cars are about we have to stay moving to avoid being rear-ended and to simply gain space to navigate the damaged roads.

When I ride in Orange County I ride differently. The roads are better. Drivers there are usually less aggressive and expect different behavior.
Antiquar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #71
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
I predict you'll say that this would not be a good place to be assertive - but I see it all the time and it's just crazy!

Look at this pic. There's a person in the cross walk on a yellow light, construction warnings, guy driving into oncoming traffic, a bus straddling two lanes, a broken down taxi cab... is the guy in the Volvo tokin' on a doobie??

Looks like Mexico or CA when people are obeying the traffic laws

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #72
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquar View Post
. Riding assertively comes with its own risks and does not necessarily mean safety, but given the road culture and traffic it's often the best option. If there's little traffic around obviously it behooves one to slow down, but when cars are about we have to stay moving to avoid being rear-ended and to simply gain space to navigate the damaged roads..
my room mate works at Beverly Hills BMW and he says he replaces wheels on cars EVERY day. Most of them dont even know they are driving around on broken or fractured wheels. The roads around here are shit. I love to suck people in behind my KTM at 50 mph down Wilshire through the asphalt whoop section in a Porsche and watch the spark fly!
You would be astonished how how hard people beat on their brand new cars around here. He also says he does brakes and tires on most cars at 10k. and lots of people dont come in for oil changes very often - most recently he saw a car that had gone about 30k, no oil change.
Quote:
Old 02-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #73
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,879
Kids not wearing helmets have died in bicycle crashes traveling at perhaps 10mph. Unfortunately it doesn’t take much. Sure, ride a bike at 100mph and chances are that you will die, or at the very least wish you were dead during the painful recovery period.

It is not just the “speeding” they do not take into consideration, what the rider was wearing is never fully disclosed either. You may read, “The rider was wearing a helmet.” But, what kind of “helmet” was the rider wearing?

Some of the helmets I have seen would not be safe in a 30mph crash, none the less at speeds above 55mph. A bandanna may not do much either at 30mph.

There are so many variables on motorcycle crashes that I have read about or seen that is it difficult to determine what the real culprit is. Some people survive a death defying crash with a broken leg, some people are paralyzed or die stopped at a traffic light.

Speed? Yes, speed (not necessarily speeding) definitely increases your chances.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #74
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
That very well could be. Maybe the geographic difference is the issue.

I live in suburbia. Little traffic and high speed limits.

2013 V-Strom
Old 02-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #75
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
Im not saying 65 in the 60 is unsafe. But even on what appears to be a wide open freeway- 100+ is unsafe.

Me, I ride a 250....I cant really go much past 60.
On a 250 that can't go much over 60 I'd consider 100+ unsafe as well. However, with big bikes going 100 on a wide open freeway is relaxed cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
I'm a big believer in the statement that "speed doesn't kill -- speed differentials kill".
Anyone that thinks they are better off traveling at 80 when traffic is moving at 60 is only kidding themselves.
Of course you're better of keeping speed differentials that low. :-P
Honestly, going 20 faster than surrounding traffic is comparable to 20 at all in town. It's very safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadlsor View Post
Here's a clue: we have no "right" to drive, or to ride a motorcycle.
Luckily we have that right. And for all I know about your constitution you have that right as well.