Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #406
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,149
Shock news!

00.26am: Day 5 Results posted...

When I spoke to Ned about the day's stage earlier today despite finishing well ahead of the next bike, he did say he felt the result was "going to be tight" - as the top riders were all very close together at the eariler checkpoints...

Sure enough, the results essentially show that Ned actually finished the stage 1 minute faster than the posted first place rider: Kim De Ryker, and more importantly, is now six minutes ahead of the current rally leader Mark Smits...

HOWEVER, for some reason, they have added TWO HOURS to Ned's stage time between CP2 & CP3 - no reason has been given, and not penalty is shown in the corresponding column.

It is a mystery, and as you might imagine, the IYSK Wine team manager (Dave Peckham) will be lodging a protest first thing in the morning to find out just what has happened, and why Ned is showing as finishing 47th today, which drops his to 8th overall...

We will get to the bottom of this, don't you worry! - lets just hope it is an admin/computer error... and therefore pending a formal enquiry, Ned technically won the stage 1 minute ahead of the next rider and has a lead of 6 minutes overall going into the penultimate day...

To think I stayed up half the night for this!!! Gaaaaaaaaaah!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #407
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P. View Post
I feel I need to balance this a little:

Go Hagenblad!!!
Hee hee - Despite nursing a fever, Calle had a storming day today - finishing 5th on the stage which moves him up to 3rd overall!!!

Just think where he could be if he was 100% fit!

Jx
Old 03-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #408
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post

When I spoke to Ned about the day's stage earlier today despite finishing well ahead of the next bike, he did say he felt the result was "going to be tight" - as the top riders were all very close together at the eariler checkpoints...

Sure enough, the results essentially show that Ned actually finished the stage 1 minute faster than the posted first place rider: Kim De Ryker, and more importantly, is now six minutes ahead of the current rally leader Mark Smits...

HOWEVER, for some reason, they have added TWO HOURS to Ned's stage time between CP2 & CP3 - no reason has been given, and not penalty is shown in the corresponding column.

It is a mystery, and as you might imagine, the IYSK Wine team manager (Dave Peckham) will be lodging a protest first thing in the morning to find out just what has happened, and why Ned is showing as finishing 47th today, which drops his to 8th overall...

We will get to the bottom of this, don't you worry! - lets just hope it is an admin/computer error... and therefore pending a formal enquiry, Ned technically won the stage 1 minute ahead of the next rider and has a lead of 6 minutes overall going into the penultimate day...

Jx

what the?

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #409
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Did John run into some trouble?
Hi Sparrow Hawk...

As I am sure you are aware, there was a tragic accident on the second day of competition (Sunday 10th March) when we lost Wesley Beane.

Not only was Wesley one of our team, but he was one of John's closest friends - they grew up together, and he was instrumental in helping to developing John's business and current product line.

A number of other riders with us were also good friends with Wesley, and many of them had raced and rallied together over the years. The tragedy has been further compounded by the fact they also lost another dear friend and rally racer Gordon MacPherson late last year on the Heroes-Legend Rally.

Everyone has been massively effected by the accident, and some members of the UK team decided they no longer wished to continue racing at this year's event.

John withdrew from the rally on Sunday evening, and returned home to the UK yesterday, along with a number of the other riders and friends.

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 06:38 AM
Old 03-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #410
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

2 hour-gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
what the?
I know... it is a fricking travesty I tell you! It's a good job Ned went to bed a while ago, as I doubt I'd be able to sleep without getting to the bottom of it...

Jx
Old 03-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #411
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

In the meantime, there was excellent news again for rider #332 - Ollie Lloyd, who finished stage 5 with another comfortable win in the Moto Amateur class - 9 minutes ahead of second place.

Ollie has certainly found his pace in the past couple of days - with the terrain suiting the 690 and his riding style more than the soft dunes earlier in the week.

However, there are now two long days in the dunes east and south east of Douz - although at least rain this evening means that hopefully the sand will be firmer than before...

It's going to be a nail-biting finish!

Jx
Old 03-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #412
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,671

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #413
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,564
Quote:

Jx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
what the?
+1

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #414
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieGS View Post
Is that one of those nebulous "because he's not French!!!" penalties?

keine gnädige Frau, sind die Organisatoren Deutsch

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #415
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
keine gnädige Frau, sind die Organisatoren Deutsch
Well played, sir. :^)

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #416
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,093
Ned mentioned the war, didn't he.
Never mention the war.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #417
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,817
Quote:
Not only was Wesley one of our team, but he was one of John's closest friends -
John withdrew from the rally on Sunday evening, and returned home to the UK yesterday, along with a number of the other riders and friends.

Jx
Totally understandable. The Tuareg site simply showed him with maximum time. I can only imagine what it's like to participate with close friends at this level of competition with the inherent risks. Knowing in your mind that this kind of injury is possible but not wanting to acknowledge that it might actually occur.

There are many, many of us who would never take on this level of risk for competition but totally admire those that are willing to invest it all. Family and friends always carry the heavy burden.

Jenny, thanks so much for your insights, photos, and news. Nobody else could give this community as much as you have.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #418
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,778
I'm sure this will sort out in time, or it won't. Either way I'm satisfied with my ride yesterday and I'll go out and enjoy today. But I'd be lying if I did not admit I was a bit frustrated with the lack of organization.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #419
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
I know... it is a fricking travesty I tell you! It's a good job Ned went to bed a while ago, as I doubt I'd be able to sleep without getting to the bottom of it...

Jx
I seem to recall that time keeping on the rally, is, erm, a bit "casual", as in Specials are timed in minutes but not in seconds. Are there sensors at the end of specials, like at the ASSes of FIM rally and enduro events? Or is time keeping over there basically someone with a wrist watch, a pen and a clipboard?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #420
David P.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Earlier years the timekeeping has been the latter one...

Thank you, Jenny for an awesome pic and info on Carl!