User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
I carry a Spyderco Paramilitary 2

Made in America - not that I care where it's made but the attention to detail on this one is evident
Plain edge - love the full flat ground blade
Don't need assisted opening, this thing opens fast with ease/control with the big thumb hole on the blade
Also because the clip is 4-way adjustable, I can carry it tip up and open it as it leaves my pocket without changing grip
CPM S30V metal - whatever that is it seems durable

The best is the ergonomics of this thing! Good jimping on thumb rail and big grippy handle, it feels lightweight but solid and it fits so natural in your hand. Your thumb and index can grip on to the blade so you have so much control

Can't say enough about it and it's an amazing value for the price. I'm not a big knife fan/collector, but I wanted 1 good one and this is what I found. I also carry a SAK in my pack and a Gerber multitool on trips

Old 02-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,750
I'm partial to a really small pocket knife for EDC. I've been carrying this since my late father gave it to me the Christmas before he passed in '95.

mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,329
I usually carry a Boker Subcom. Fits perfectly into the "key pocket" of a normal pair of jeans. Small enough not to freak out my office co-workers and the AUS8 steel holds an edge pretty well. I've had the same one for over 5 years and it's still in great shape.

(some stock photo I pulled off Google Images)

I have a couple of SOG automatics that I carry sometimes, too, and a Leatherman multitool that is usually either on my belt or in my backpack.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #19
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,670
I love the Zero Tolerance line, as well as Emerson Knives. For the budget minded, check out the Kershaw One Ton, 3/4 Ton and Half-Ton models
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #20
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
... not to freak out my office co-workers ...
srsly? A sidearm's one thing, but a pocketknife?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #21
adcolor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I have carried (not managed to loose) Benchmade 551/BK (back drop point) dual surface blade. The serrations are enough that if I ('if' -- usually) don't keep it sharp enough, I can still use the serrations. And I never want to not be able to cut something when it's an emergency -- like a seatbelt, etc).

So requirements:

Non-skinning type blade (drop point or tanto for example). Even a stabbling type blade (not anti-social, but this knife is for doing work now, not after I kill and hang an elk).

Comfortable handle while working with the knife (I do appreciate the flat sided units if it makes it so you will carry it).

Traction on the scales (handle sides). If I am working in the rain, mud, blood, etc, I want it to stay where I grip it.

NO metal scales -- they get to hot or too cold.

Some sort of finger/thumb stop (the Spyderco style is hard to beat). You do not want to slip onto the sharp part of the blade!

Reversible pocket clip. Being left handed, this is hard to beat.

Some sort of opening device (stud, thumb hole -- as Spyderco does). Assisted opening devices are an issue in some states, and are something else to break. I used to like liner locks, but they are easy to inadvertently release when using the wrong hand (you have to try it to see -- usually using your left hand deflects the lock, and a couple of close calls and not much blood later, I pay attention).

My 551 has a 3 1/2" blade. Legal in Colorado, probably in most states where people are allowed to think.

And yes, I prefer non-Asian knives (US when possible). Plenty of good ones from Asia, just never sure which ones.

My favorite, all this aside, is a Schrade cliphanger ch7s. Similar features in the blade, liner lock, flat sides, quick removable lanyard that clipped to a belt loop and could hang at your side when you had it open (IE, cutting cord/string). Though that should make it hard to loose, I lost a couple or 3. The knife end of the lnyard was also quick removable. They were even reasonably priced @ $20. Even dressed an elk with one (I was pushing it, but had a more appropriate knife handy if it had failed). They made a couple of sizes, blade styles, etc. And were made in USA.
https://s4-us3.ixquick-proxy.com/do/...%2Fch7s_op.jpg
adcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #22
BigChris99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I carry a Leatherman Rebar on my belt at work, and I too like to have a dedicated knife clipped to my pocket. I have probably 30 or more knives, from Spyderco's to Kershaws and a couple of Buck knives. What I have been carrying lately is one of my KA-BAR Doziers in foliage green. Light weight, wicked sharp, opens easily and it doesn't cost much. My favorite though is my Ontario Rat-1. Love that knife, but it is a little large for the work environment.

IBA#7849

1997 Honda Valkyrie, 1998 Kawasaki KLR 650
BigChris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #23
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
I always wondered...one of my friends, who are working in mountain rescue service since probably 25 years (he are "on foot" party) always said, that (just example, not precise numbers) out of 100% of knife addicts 97% do not REALLY need anything more than Swiss Army, then 1% really needs multitool, 1% need mid size any good quality EDC + gloves and 1% need to use proper tool for a job - fixed blade knife and axe and stop messing about

I tend to believe him. I been carrying SAK all the time and multitool on the bike and only occasions I had to use my (I did not buy it - present about 8 years ago) Buck Alpha Hunter is when I have to do some woodwork in garage and when just once I had to do full service on one of deers, that my friend shot and I foolishly agreed to help with.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #24
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
benchmade 9050 is what i carry at work. very solid knife. love it. if i have to get another... i'll buy a benchmade.

had a leatherman when i was in the army. it was stolen. go figure.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #25
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
When casual, I usually just have my Gerber w/ its assisted opening, but in a suit I dress it up a bit and carry my CRKT Delegate.

lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #26
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,808
Kershaw Skyline: Light, thin & affordable.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #27
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 227
Opinel.

Carbon steel takes a sharp edge quickly.
Wood handle looks good, feels good and I guess is less threatening.
Lock mechanism different but works well.
Many sizes to choose from. I like a #6 for EDC.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #28
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,426
^ I have a number of knives (can't help it), at a number of price points, but I find an Opinel in mypcoket more often than anything else . . . .

I simply works, and works well, and I find myslef enjoying it's simplicity more and more . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
danwolfe84@gmail.com
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb

Opinel #6 for about 35 years.
danwolfe84@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote