User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Dirtnadvil OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
calling all Chevy mechanics

I am experiencing some wierdness with my 03 Silverado, 4x4 diesel. The problem that I am having is this;
Sometimes when I put the key in and turn it, the dash board guages don't respond. The fuel guage will show empty when full. The truck wont start. To remedy this I usually pull the PCM fuse or try turning the key on and off about 30 times. The other day , while driving I noticed that the light came on for the alarm,which I don't have , and the rest of the guages went dead except the tach and speedo. Toiday when I went to start it, the truck would turn over and start for a second and shut off, did this for a few times before I pulled the fuse. I talked to the service manager and they want to run a bunch of tests. I would imagine that this is a common problem with a common solution. Can anyone here shed some light on my problem. Thanks...........John
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Hastelloy-X
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Measure the voltage of each of the 2 batteries.

It would be better to load test them though.

Check tightness of battery cables too.

My chevy had weird problems till I found out the battery terminal was pulled out of the battery and I wasn't getting a full 12.5 volts all the time (poor connection).
Hastelloy-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Dirtnadvil OP
Studly Adventurer

I haven't checked the voltage other than the gauge on the dash. The batteries are new interstates but this has been going on for a few years.....
Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
brider
Long suffering Cub Fan

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastelloy-X View Post
Measure the voltage of each of the 2 batteries.

It would be better to load test them though.

Check tightness of battery cables too.

My chevy had weird problems till I found out the battery terminal was pulled out of the battery and I wasn't getting a full 12.5 volts all the time (poor connection).
Not a expert but I had a car that did something similar and it turned out to be the ground cable at the frame for the battery. As soon as it was corrected all the gauges started working and the problem went away. I think Hastelloy is on to something. It won't cost you a dime to give it a check either. Just my 2 cents.
brider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
2004 and earlier chevy trucks were known to have issues with the instrument clusters failing. I have several friends who had to have their clusters replaced. Don't know if it prevented their trucks from running or not.
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,154
on the older chevys the ground for the dash is on a bolt just beside the parking brake. if it gets loose this is the problem it causes. it's normally a bolt at the bottom edge of the dash.. i would start there.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiat View Post
2004 and earlier chevy trucks were known to have issues with the instrument clusters failing. I have several friends who had to have their clusters replaced. Don't know if it prevented their trucks from running or not.
^^^^^ this.

I have an '05 Duramax Silverado and had to replace the instrument cluster 3 years ago. Last month my fuel guage read empty when the tank was full, but the truck was running really really rough until it wouldn't even crank. Turns out the wiring harness to one bank of fuel injectors had worn through on the underside of the alternator and really messed things up. It was an easy fix done by an independent garage that does a lot of diesel work. The dealership wouldn't fix the harness, they told me they only replace faulty parts, not repair them!

Have you checked any of the diesel forums/duramax forums? That's where my mechanic got the notion that a wiring harness had gone bad. Do you have a computer? I pulled the codes from my truck and started there when I called around. Any auto parts store hopefully should be able to plug in and give you an idea where to start looking for the trouble. Good luck to you!
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 7,914
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/index.php

You need to belong to this site. It's dedicated to the 6.2, 6.5, and 6.6 Chevy diesel, and there's more knowledge about the engine and truck than you'll ever need.
The instrument cluster issue is known, and there are places the cluster can be sent to fix it for way less than the $300+ a dealer will charge to replace it.

That said, check your grounds.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
Dirtnadvil OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for all the replies, I will check my grounds and the wiring harness tomorrow.... I have searched the different forums but I have info overload...I want to do some of my own diagnostics before I turn it over to a dealer at 90 an hour....
Old 02-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 7,914
IIRC the truck should run fine without the instrument cluster installed, and it isn't hard at all to take out. Might be worth removing it and driving around for a week to see if the problems go away (just don't run out of fuel...). If things work fine without the IC, then you can find the right place to send it to have it R&R'd.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnadvil View Post
Thanks for all the replies, I will check my grounds and the wiring harness tomorrow.... I have searched the different forums but I have info overload...I want to do some of my own diagnostics before I turn it over to a dealer at 90 an hour....
I'll send you a PM in a minute as soon as I check my links.I don't want to post it here that's for sure. Only condition is a little feedback on them diagnostics and if that helped.Did not get such last couple times I did that so......!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
Dirtnadvil OP
Studly Adventurer

A couple of other details. The "service brakes and ABS light" comes on every now and then, brakes have been checked and they are fine. Sometimes when I pull the key out I will get a chime to come on (headlight reminder) . About a year ago I took the truck into the dealer for all of the issues and they replaced the Keyed ignition on the steering collum thinking this was the problem, which it wasn't, just cost me bunch of money. I noticed that there are quite a few people having the same problem on the internet but not a bunch of people posting the solution to the problem.......
Old 03-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
chevmekanik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
the theft deterrent system runs through the cluster, causing start then stall, it reads the key code, no cluster, no start!
chevmekanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #14
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 8,846
I had to replace the wiring harness to my ignition key a few years back. Wouldn't start, harness was $70 bucks.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Oddometer: 4,108
The first thing I would suspect is what Oshiat mentioned. The IP cluster.

GM had a boat load of problems with IP clusters in the GMT800 series.

You need to find someone with a Tech2 that knows how to use it. AutoZone free code pulls and tinker toy OBD2 code pullers will not help you diagnose IP problems on that truck.
Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote