Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #16
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,245
Nice video! Seeing all those beautiful green trees makes me hate winter even more. All those tar strips were making me nervous.. Hopefully I'll be more cautious the next time I'm on a similar ride. I've been lucky so far. Glad to see everything turned out well.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #17
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 1,025
Thanks for the video. Classic "look where you want to go NOT where you it's going to hurt." I watched it several times. It looks like you could have made it and you can see where you looked at the edge of the road. I agree a milk crate would helped. Those mirrors are pretty blingy for a KLR. You're going to give the rest of them a bad name.
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #18
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
perhaps. this is the second time i've approached a turn going too fast and brake instead of going in for a lean. bad instincts that i'm working on correcting.
don't beat yourself up. a lot of us are working on correcting that

thanks for the reality check video, sub'd your channel.

oh, the "new tires rock" video by the creek, that's great. rock on. :)
Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #19
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
The real fail is missing the milkcrate... totally screws with the balance of the KLR.

This was the real reason, your aerodynamics were all off. Glad youre ok and that guy stopped to help.
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
903cc
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Eek Left of the side

I'm just curious, what is "left of the six" ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
I certainly "get" the distraction factor, you come around a corner and find a cager partially into your lane, takes you a bit to get over that, and then "oh shit".

I get it.

Does not just happen to new riders.

This past fall, three of us were on our way back from a 3 day trip. I saw a guy in the oncoming lane starting to drift into our lanes. I strongly felt that the point rider saw it coming, or the SUV would miss him. I know I saw it coming and could avoid him or take the ditch (my KLR loves the ditch at speed ). My biggest fear was for my chum that was somewhere behind me, and was not sure he saw his potential fate.

Hearing multiple weak-ass bike horns simultaneously, I figured everyone knew what was coming. He missed us all, and I fixated on my rear view mirror, because I was convinced the guy had come all the way across and smacked a rock wall or ditched, but we continued on. For miles, I wanted to turn around and chase the bugger, but traffic was heavy. Took awhile to let go of it.
903cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
903cc
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Glad you are OK.

It is cool that you didn't get hurt and you recorded it all .
Quote:
Hi ADV,

I'm a relatively new rider and unfortunately I'm all too familiar with "face plants". Out of the many that I've had, I've fortunately never caused much damage to myself or my bike and I've always learned a valuable lesson afterwards.

I made what I think is a good video showing how over confidence on a familiar road coupled with rider exhaustion can lead to that tiny mistake that sends you off the road.

I also captured a fellow enthusiast (possibly another ADV member) who showed what real motorcycle camaraderie means.

903cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #22
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Hi ADV,

I'm a relatively new rider and unfortunately I'm all too familiar with "face plants". Out of the many that I've had, I've fortunately never caused much damage to myself or my bike and I've always learned a valuable lesson afterwards.
Dude, get some formal rider training. If you're new and really have had many "face plants" on the street then it's only a matter of time before it goes bad.

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #23
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
keep focused on looking all the way through the turn, and counter steering that bike. Turn your head, point your chin where you want to go,
Quote:
Definitely learn to trust the bike. Even on knobbies, as long as you're smooth the bike will lean a lot farther than you may realize. That little voice in the back of my head saying "push harder" has saved my rear more than once.
Quote:
"look where you want to go NOT where you're about to go"
Quote:
get some formal rider training.
All important advice. One more thing---riding fast around blind turns is fun...except once in a while.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #24
WildmanSam OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by WormShanks View Post
Dude, get some formal rider training. If you're new and really have had many "face plants" on the street then it's only a matter of time before it goes bad.
This is only my second incident on the street (5 months ago) and my first was within the first month of riding (over a year and 2 months ago)... it's captured on video too .

my other falls have been on dirt... and a staircase... but i digress....i do agree that a riding class would be a great idea. i'm actually planning on taking an off roading introductory class in a couple months. i can't wait to see their faces when i show up on a KLR; maybe i'll have my milk crate installed by then.

thanks for the advice everyone. i wasn't sure how this forum would respond to it but it seems to have turned out well
WildmanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #25
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 765
Soul Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots;20826904

... and a staircase...

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #26
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 886
Thanks for posting the video and sharing your story, I'm glad you're okay!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #27
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Target fixation. Look where you want to go and you'd have made it, also practice trail braking.

Oh and the rattle is the camera mount. I like to stick a piece of tape in the mount.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #28
swedishfishy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
please give us the video of your KLR on steps!
swedishfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #29
ejy712
Quiet Guy

Oddometer: 21
The video shows you lean the bike more than your body. I like to lean my body slightly more than the bike. This habit gives you a little more available lean when the curve closes more than you expect and you need it...
ejy712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #30
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishfishy View Post
please give us the video of your KLR on steps!
its on his YouTube channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix1KR...e_gdata_player