User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
clfarren5944 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Rear tire

How does a Dunlop D803 radial compare with Michelin radial. The Dunlop is new, 2005 vintage. On a Scorpa 4 stroke. The original Michelin is cracking and tends to leak.
Thanks, Chris
clfarren5944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 867
The guy I picked up my Montesa 4RT from put new Dunlops on it (D803) on it isn't bad, but, I do like the Michelin Competition on my wifes TXT Pro a bit better. Just my 2 cents...
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
I expect that the difference between an 8 year old Dunlop and a fresh Michelin woild be quite substantial, depending on how it was stored. I much prefer the Michelin over a fresh Dunlop. I use the Dunlops on my trail bikes and Michelin on my Trials bike.

lamotovita screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 10:54 AM
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
clfarren5944 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go ahead and use the Dunlop as I do more trail riding than trial riding on that bike. Any helpful hints on mounting a tubeless tire? Have done lots of tube type in the past but always had a pro mount street bike radials.
Chris
Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by clfarren5944 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go ahead and use the Dunlop as I do more trail riding than trial riding on that bike. Any helpful hints on mounting a tubeless tire? Have done lots of tube type in the past but always had a pro mount street bike radials.
Chris
Hints:

It will take a lot of pressure to seat the bead. Be careful.

It will go BOOM when the bead seats. Be ready.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Chris
Dunlops are good tire, especially price wise. Michelin X-Lites are a great tire (grip wise) for advanced riders especially, not much to gain in novice up to above amatuer classes, I think, other than they are slightly lighter in weight...

I believe the Michelin wear pretty fast, and have experienced leaks around nobbies when they get older, your mileage may vary. IRC tires seemed to be slightly softer than dunlop, maybe grippy-er? but my knowledge of that is from at least 4 years back, since then I have been using michelins.

Michelins are high$$, but what isnt? I bought cheaper tires for the family truxter, they ride like SH** smells, rough like an old wooden wagon, IMHO. Now I know, I should have just bough the same michelins I wore off of it, now I know.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Chris
I like to add a bit of dish sope to some water and rub it round the tire and rim where they meet just before inflation, seems to help make the bead set a bit nicer.

Just my exp. Good luck!
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Chris
I have one of those air blower attachments for my compressor. If you remove the tip it will thread onto the valve stem. With the valve core removed you get the full flow of the compressor. The bead will pop instantly with that much air folw. Super easy...
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
This thread had some discussion about mounting that you may find helpful:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796971
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
clfarren5944 OP
Adventurer

Should I replace the rim sealing strip. Original is vintage 2007 and valve core won't come out due to previous owners Slime use. I would like to have to do this only once!!!
Chris
Old 03-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
If it doesn't leak don't disturb it. If it leaks the rim may be corroded and a new seal won't help.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
MacAttack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
On the tire discusion what are opinions on the pirelli?
MacAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
On the tire discusion what are opinions on the pirelli?
It's been my experience that single track dirt bike guys love 'em due to hard compound (last longer under higher horsepower) but trials guys usually stick with the Michelin or Dunlops.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,322
love the Pirelli, my KTM 450 came with one, and I have run it for the last year on some great mountain rides & singletrack---been a great tire!

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
Ccino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Pirelli MT43

I fitted a couple of these tyres several months ago and because my rims are old and battered ('90 Fantic 307) fitted them with tubes in. They are a definite improvement on the very old and worn (rounded) Dunlops they replaced, but can't help feeling the Dunlops were more "compliant" and grippy on dry rock, and it's only the newness of the fresh square knobs on Pirellis making them seem better on grass and over logs.
A fellow rider commented on the lack of grip my tyres were (not) displaying at the weekends club event, as I struggled on almost every (dry clean rocky) section and I have a feeling he was perplexed as to how I could make sections so fundamental for them, look so goddamn difficult for myself ! but I also think he may have been trying to be kind to me by looking for any reason apart from my lack of ability.
Running the rear right down at 2psi still had it feeling quite hard in the side wall compared to others' obviously softer tyres (sorry, dont know what they were rolling).
Ccino is offline   Reply With Quote