Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
Are all motorcycle parts two weeks away?

So I'm a bit new to wrenching on bikes, so maybe this is normal and I'm just out of touch, but it seems like everytime I need a factory part, it takes the better part of two weeks to get. I understand that most dealers don't have one of everything in stock, but shouldn't they be able to get it from a distribution center in a timely fashion?

I spend my days wrenching on cars, and German cars at that. OE or OEM hard parts are readily available, mostly next day, though we do have one supplier ~45 miles away that delivers several times a day. For "dealer only" type stuff, it's usually two days, maybe three if it's too big to go by UPS. The only time we have to wait a week is if something needs to be specifically made or programmed in Germany and then shipped.

So far it seems that every Suzuki part I've needed has had to be ordered, and it goes like this:

Monday: I place an order for a new brake lever.

Tuesday: ?

Wednesday: ?

Thursday: I call to see how my order is coming. I'm told it's not here yet. They thought it would have been there yesterday, but wasn't.

Late Thursday: I get a call to let me know that my part is there, and they'll be shipping it to me as soon as they can.

Friday: I'm told my part is shipped.

Saturday: Nothing, it's the weekend.

Sunday: See above, you heathen bastard, you shouldn't even be thinking about working on motorcycles on the Lord's day!

Monday: I get an email with a tracking number telling me my package is ready to be shipped.

Tuesday: My package is in transit.

Wednesday: My package is in Vernon, CA.

Thursady: My package is in my town, out for delivery.

Lunchtime Thursday: I have my part.

This amounts to approx. a week and a half! Is this normal?

MV
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
ya unfortunately it seems to be the norm, even worse when you have a big snow storm and UPS cant get to you. bete
bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 493
Sadly, yes. When I called every Suzuki dealer within 50 miles of Sacramento looking for part X and none could get it in less than a week, I would just order it online. After 3 or 4 iterations, I just stopped asking the dealer. I moved to SoCal and now I don't even know where my local dealer is.

I used to have a BMW, and the BMW dealer had an impressive array of parts on hand, even for old bikes. And they, like the BMW car dealer, could get parts within a couple days, though for cage parts I had options other than the dealer. I could get parts for my '86 Saab in less time than for my '04 Suzuki, even as Saab was in bankruptcy.

Two issues are at play here: first, the far smaller market size for motorcycles means there just isn't the supply of parts that there is for cars. Second, and more importantly, the Japanese manufacturers have entirely different supply chains than the Europeans. My experience with European cars comes from being the guy who couldn't afford to pay you to work on it

Other than a couple Jeeps, I've always driven European cars, and it's always surprised me how many parts were not only outsourced but shared with other brands. When Bosch makes part X for six models over three brands, that OEM part is gonna be easy to get. Need a fuel injection part for a BMW E21? Pull it from a Volvo in the junkyard. The Japanese have far more control over their supply chains: I had to replace control arms on my '82 E21 and a friend's '85 Camry in the same week sometime around 2004. Despite the E21 control arms being more complicated, they cost a *third* of what the Camry ones did. The only source for the Camry parts was Toyota, whereas I could order the BMW parts from any of a number of sources.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Talked to them again today. Said most everything, except the backordered stuff, shipped yesterday. I still don't have a tracking number, that should arrive later today, tomorrow at the latest. So, no parts until the first part of next week. Two weekends without the bike, and then we have other plans for the following weekend. I have got to find something better...

MV
Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,523
I have the same problem everytime I try to order me some DapperDan.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
I have the same problem everytime I try to order me some DapperDan.
I was waiting for that. I'm starting to think that if Fop made motorcycle parts, I'd be in better shape.

MV
Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

I have a tracking number! And an estimated delivery date! The delivery date falls on a Sat, when there's no one here at the shop to recieve packages, and this box of course won't contain the back ordered part(s), but it's progress. Right? So much for motorcycles this weekend... Again.

MV
Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,256
I'm laughing -- I've been order parts for a buncha nutbox vehicles for longer than I'd care to admit . . . . . . I've noticed that parts folks are all taught the same mantra . . . .

"I'd like a kanuten valve for my Belchfire Intimidator, please."

"Wayne got it -- week ten days."

If we could only find this Wayne fella, we'd be in tall grass.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Seems to be the case these days for bikes though can remember dealers being well stocked long ago...
I need a primary gasket for a DR650 and neither local dealer stocked one, very sad for a common maintenance part on a bike that has been in production and selling well for 16 years....same deal on a radiator cap for a Triumph, a routine maintenance item on the triples (they become leaky with age), found one at the local Subaru dealer and it WAS in stock.
It kills me when they say they can order these things for me since it is too easy to do that myself and have the parts on my doorstep in a few days. I would like to give the local dealers my parts business and don't mind paying a bit more but when they can't bother to stock even low cost standard maintenance items it makes it tough...
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
Seems to be the case these days for bikes though can remember dealers being well stocked long ago...
It kills me when they say they can order these things for me since it is too easy to do that myself and have the parts on my doorstep in a few days. I would like to give the local dealers my parts business and don't mind paying a bit more but when they can't bother to stock even low cost standard maintenance items it makes it tough...
Yeah, I love the "We can order it" line. Hell, I can order it. Look folks, it works like this:

1) Local supplier:
a) Has higher cost, due to having to stock an inventory
b) Has quicker turn around, due to having a stocked inventory

2) Warehouse (mail order or internet):
a) Has lower cost due to bulk buying, lower staffing, lower real estate
b) Has slower turn around time due to having to ship from the aforementioned lightly staffed, out of the way locatation warehouse.

For some reason, dealers seem to have gotten it in their head that with today's modern ordering/shipping/tracking and so forth technologies, they'd be able to do away with stocking an inventory, while still keeping the higher prices. Somehow, they haven't figured out the flaw in this plan. So consumers turn to the internet. and the dealers suffer. I think I mentioned this in my Jacket Journal .

Of course, in my case, I'm starting to wonder if the higher priced dealer might be able to produce parts in less than two weeks...

MV
Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #11
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,046
Have you ever tried to order from Bike Bandit? I have ordered lots of factory Suzuki stuff over the years and normally get it delivered to Orange County within 2-3 days. FWIW- I live just down the street from Suzuki's North American headquarters but I would never think to order from the local dealer because of the famous delays.

and with Bike Bandits AMA discount, it's usually cheaper than from the dealer too.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
I don't use the local dealer because I think they are a bit dishonest.

I order parts from Max BMW. They always seem to get stuff for me pretty quick.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
kruzuki
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
I go to my local Suzuki dealer and they check directly with the Canadian Suzuki parts warehouse to see if it's actually in stock and then they get it, usually in as little as 2 days.

Never really had a problem, and the CDN distributor seems to have what I've needed.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,187
Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Try getting parts for a Buell from the dealer. The local HD dealers I've talked to don't even have the catalogs any more so the only way to order something is if I look up the part number myself and tell them what to order. Even then, sometimes I'm told they can't order it because "it's a Buell part number." I order everything online.

When I had an sv650 I think I ordered stuff from http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/ There was one other website I used but I can't remember it right now.

When it comes to car parts even though local dealers usually have the parts I still order online because the dealers around here charge above MSRP.
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote