User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Rev OP
Asshole

Oddometer: 230
Need shock advice, 08+KLR

alright guys, tax time is here and i figure its time to upgrade the KLR.

can anyone give me some good suggestions on a rear shock/front spring setup for a 280lb guy that might add hard luggage at a later time?

right now i ride with the stocker set to the max 5 setting, and i still get some significant sag and when i hit the throttle or brakes, the bike dives pretty good (enough to look like the bike is popping a wheelie if someone is in front of me...)

anywho, i really dont want to raise the bike up anymore than it is already, so stock height or a touch lower would be great. AND, i cant have a lot of down time (so no sending my shock to someone else....)

also, any better hand guards? solid mounted ones?

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
alright guys, tax time is here and i figure its time to upgrade the KLR.

can anyone give me some good suggestions on a rear shock/front spring setup for a 280lb guy that might add hard luggage at a later time?

right now i ride with the stocker set to the max 5 setting, and i still get some significant sag and when i hit the throttle or brakes, the bike dives pretty good (enough to look like the bike is popping a wheelie if someone is in front of me...)

anywho, i really dont want to raise the bike up anymore than it is already, so stock height or a touch lower would be great. AND, i cant have a lot of down time (so no sending my shock to someone else....)

also, any better hand guards? solid mounted ones?
Probably your best bet for a shock would be Ricor or Elka or Cogent.
Keep in mind when you get a proper spring for your weight the bike will be taller because it won't sag out like the stock spring.
If you are using your stock handlebars, they are tapped at the ends, so you will have to find a compatible barkbuster for them.Check twisted throttle and Happy trails.
Good luck.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
I went with Ricor (Front & Rear) on my '06 & have been very happy. No experience with other companies suspension upgrades though. The bike did rise up some or it seems like it cuz it don't collapse when you sit on it now. When you sit on my bike now it sinks down an inch at the most, instead of 6 inches like the stock suspension.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
ejbeert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
i just changed the springs on mine. progressive suspension in front and new spring in rear useing happy trails chart. cheep and quick. just to add to the mix race tech and progressive suspension.
ejbeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Contact Rick at Cogent Dynamics. He's the KLR suspension Guru.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
It really depends on what and how you ride. If you are a tourer and don't off road much and don't expect alot of dynamics in the suspension a heavier spring would suit you fine and save considerable cash. If you want a premium suspension regardless of price, Cogent or Ricor will set you up taking into consideration of your weight, gear and riding style. I went with Ricor, I carry minimal gear but ride hard off road. I don't understand your description of "dive" though. Usually when you hit the brakes momentum causes the forks to "dive", kinda the opposite of the wheelie effect you speak of. I would assume your geometry is off due to you being a heavy guy riding a suspension designed for a 170 lbs. rider.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Rev OP
Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
It really depends on what and how you ride. If you are a tourer and don't off road much and don't expect alot of dynamics in the suspension a heavier spring would suit you fine and save considerable cash. If you want a premium suspension regardless of price, Cogent or Ricor will set you up taking into consideration of your weight, gear and riding style. I went with Ricor, I carry minimal gear but ride hard off road. I don't understand your description of "dive" though. Usually when you hit the brakes momentum causes the forks to "dive", kinda the opposite of the wheelie effect you speak of. I would assume your geometry is off due to you being a heavy guy riding a suspension designed for a 170 lbs. rider.

it "wheelies" on throttle, and dips below a lot of cars bumpers when i brake (fronts, obviously)

im mostly on road, with some trails and general off road riding. nothing fast (dont think ive ever been out of second off road, dont trust dirt/pinestraw). its a commuter bike with aspirations of awesome camping trips where i drive to the spot i want to setup and drive back out, lol.

thanks guys!

Old 02-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
Hi Rev,

We are just out I26 from you near Asheville. I have ridden in your area as well as the sand hills. If you purchased the Cogent shock from us, we would do a short interview with you to determine your needs and set up a shock to suit. We guarantee our setup. An adjustable, serviceable and high quality replacement shock makes all the difference on the KLR (as well as many other bikes). The benefit being longevity, performance, ride quality and resale value.

If your not ready to jump on to that band wagon, raising links from Eagle Mike can help or as suggested, replacing the spring on the stocker.

Rick (Cogent Dynamics)
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
nonamehorse
Concrete Jungle

Oddometer: 131
+++1 for Rick's product and service!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Rev OP
Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
Hi Rev,

We are just out I26 from you near Asheville. I have ridden in your area as well as the sand hills. If you purchased the Cogent shock from us, we would do a short interview with you to determine your needs and set up a shock to suit. We guarantee our setup. An adjustable, serviceable and high quality replacement shock makes all the difference on the KLR (as well as many other bikes). The benefit being longevity, performance, ride quality and resale value.

If your not ready to jump on to that band wagon, raising links from Eagle Mike can help or as suggested, replacing the spring on the stocker.

Rick (Cogent Dynamics)

damn that IS service! i sent you an an email...

Old 03-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
Hi Rev,

Rick (Cogent Dynamics)
I've sent Rick/Joyce quite a bit of money over the years. They have done my KLR, DR 650, DRZ, WR 250R, and XChallenge. Going to do my F800 gs one of these days.
I've been very happy with all their work!

Just Do It ! You will not be sorry!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
+1 on the Cogent Dynamics. Makes the bike handle the way you want. I have one built to take advantage of the 1 1/2 raising links. Best mod I have done for the bike. And I have done a lot of mods...
This

to this

to this

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote