User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,195
Soul Rider

I recently saw this from the surfing world and thought it had similarities with a dynamic in the motorcycling world that many here share. Thoughts?

"Soul Surfer is a term coined in the 1960s, used to describe a surfer who surfs for the sheer pleasure of surfing. Although they may still enter in competitions, winning is not the soul surfer's main motive, since they scorn the commercialization of surfing. The term denotes a spirituality of surfing.

As Brad Melekian put it in a 2005 article in Surfer magazine:
to pursue surfing not just as an athletic endeavor or as a sunny day diversion, but to try to glean whatever lessons you can from the practice. It means being aware of your surroundings, and respectful of the people and places that you interact with. It means being patient, mindful, kind, compassionate, understanding, active, thoughtful, faithful, hopeful, gracious, disciplined and...good.

The term originates from a 1963 surf instrumental of the same name."
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,231
I would say almost all of us here on advrider don't ride out of practical reasons. We ride because we enjoy it and where it takes us (I don't mean physically where it takes us, but in our heads where it takes us). Is that Soul Riding?

Hell, I don't know. What I do know is that it may be that feeling you have on a multi-day trip, where you rode all day, got to your hotel or camp site, cracked open a beer (or other beverage), looked at your bike and reminisced about a great day of riding. At that moment, how are you feeling? I think now, you may be a "Soul Rider".

Damn, now I just fired myself up to plan a road trip!
ShaftEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Andy Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I resemble that remark!

That's exactly why I ride, to escape to that place, and enjoy that end of day feeling on a long ride. And to realize the next morning that "Wow, I'm days from home on a bike and it's great!".
Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,753
Let me guess? North GA got snow for the first time in decades and the redbox pickens were slim.

Unlike many parts of the world, most of us here ride because we want to, not because we have to.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Teksah
MC Adventuress

Oddometer: 3
soul is relative...

Sometimes soul riding can be short rides about town....need some oranges, need to pick up something from the Post Office, need an excuse to get on the MC and do/go. Not always do I have time for day trip'n even on the weekends...Any day I can get on the MC is a good day...even for only a ten minute trip..
Teksah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,195
I've only surfed a few times at a beginner level. Got the chance to hang out with a group of middle aged+ (like me) surfers who have surfed all their lives. Listening to them talking to each other about their passion, the places they have visited etc., reminded me very much of getting together with a group of adventure riders. Their appreciation and understanding of geography, travel, weather, local social cultures and the technical issues of their sport was so similar to ours.

Seeing that comparison has made me more aware of the "soul" side of our sport.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
LWRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Here's my take; a "soul" rider (or surfer or hiker or climber, etc.) is someone who primarily rides for what they get out of the experience internally, rather than externally. For them, riding is its own reward, rather than praise from others.

Cheers,

Mike
My Blog: http://www.roaddogpub.com/node/3
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWRider View Post
riding is its own reward, rather than praise from others.

Now, that's good stuff.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,944
Mikem9:
Great thread.

I rode 15,000 miles last summer on a DR650 and never got further than 150 miles from the house. Rarely left before noon and I was home every night.

Nothin' wrong with Day Trippin'

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I see posts and sig lines here talking about doing X number of miles in X number of hours or days. I understand doing serious miles is sometimes necessary in getting to a destination, but when doing miles is the goal.......................

Other times its about shipping a bike for a few days riding in some specific location. I understand variety is the spice of life, but when the destination becomes more important than the journey........................

I appreciate that there are different strokes for different folks. For me the simple act of riding is what I enjoy about riding.
Miles and destinations can add flavor to the experience, but doing an "iron butt", or "the dragon" make as much sense to me as mixing Bunnahabhain 25 with Coke.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Mikem9:

Nothin' wrong with Day Trippin'

Absolutely. That's what most of us have to do for our regular riding week in and week out. However, the problem is that we have to come home that day. What's wrong with that? Nothing, but when you get home all the usual issues as still there just the way you left them earlier in the day.

On a road trip, you end your ride that day away from home. No grass to cut, no bills waiting in the mail, no spouse with whatever problems need your attention. Nope, you are now out and about, and free for just a little while. Time for you and your bike to find your "happy place". And let's face it, in today's modern world, it not often we get to find our happy place. Good times.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Here's my take; a "soul" rider (or surfer or hiker or climber, etc.) is someone who primarily rides for what they get out of the experience internally, rather than externally. For them, riding is its own reward, rather than praise from others.

Cheers,

Mike
could not have said it better, Tocayo.
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #13
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:

Cheers,

Mike
Very well said...and one of the reasons i ride alone. Just me, the bike, and the road. Noone else.

Some people take meds, some see shrinks, I ride.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #14
Cloudhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:

Cheers,

Mike
Well said.

I ride to clear my mind. Like a guy on another forum keyed it once "My bike is my curch, I'm at peace once I'm on it".
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #15
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
I recon soul ride'in iz wut separates real riders from posers.
Seems the harley poser pirates only ride fer the image.