ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 458
Washington LED light laws

Hey folks, curious to know what Washington's rules are on LED light kits. Not looking to be flashy, or showy or anything, but there have been far too many times riding later at night that I've almost been merged into. Riding season is coming up on us, so I'm just looking for a way to be more noticed. I keep reading the laws regarding, and it just confuses me more. Just looking to put maybe two strips illuminating my engine. Just enough to let people know I'm there.

Thanks all.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
enumclaw
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 387
Just do it. I ride all year, and I figure the cops have better things to worry about than motorcycles with some extra conspicuity. Never had a problem so far.
enumclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
. . . . . Just looking to put maybe two strips illuminating my engine. Just enough to let people know I'm there.
. . . . . . . .
Thanks all.
Of course, you'd certainly be ticketed for lights that are blue, and most probably red . . . . . .

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercat View Post
Of course, you'd certainly be ticketed for lights that are blue, and most probably red . . . . . .

Ride an amazon green Buell S3T and a green KLR, and a green Honda Metropolitan. See a trend? Hah. I assumed as long as the lights weren't blinding anyone, I'd be fine, but I really hate paying for tickets which I think are unjustified.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 437
It's very rare that the middle of the bike needs lights. The fore and aft are the most valuable bright areas. These are also two spots that you're least likely to have po-po issues. Get a good set of fog/driving lights and a some additional LED running/brake lights. Also, consider the clothing that you're wearing. Brightly colored and reflective jacket, pants and helmet make an incredible difference in conspicuity.

Remember, you go where you look. Do you want that person sitting next to you in traffic staring at the pretty color of your engine's decorative lights? You want to be noticed, but don't want stares.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMcD View Post
It's very rare that the middle of the bike needs lights. The fore and aft are the most valuable bright areas. These are also two spots that you're least likely to have po-po issues. Get a good set of fog/driving lights and a some additional LED running/brake lights. Also, consider the clothing that you're wearing. Brightly colored and reflective jacket, pants and helmet make an incredible difference in conspicuity.

Remember, you go where you look. Do you want that person sitting next to you in traffic staring at the pretty color of your engine's decorative lights? You want to be noticed, but don't want stares.
It's mostly people merging into me at night that scares me. My front headlight and taillight are quite bright. Haven't had too many issues with that regard, but I've been almost merged into many times.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
I believe the law says red lights in the rear and yellow or amber on the sides.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 437
Then perhaps it is time to re-assess your riding gear. High-viz gear changes traffic patterns around you. In your situation, reflective everything should do the trick. Go buy a strip of 3M SOLAS grade reflective tape and create some cool patterns on your helmet. There is plenty on a roll to add some to your bike, too.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,141
Loud pipes save lives

Old 02-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,245
Conspicuity

Not meaning to sound condescending, but I stopped having that problem when I started making sure I stayed out of cager blind spots. I-5, or in town, I make the effort to get ahead of, or stay behind, cagers trying to kill me. Not as hard as it seems, and certainly not taxing, it just becomes part of the routine.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
tblume
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
Not meaning to sound condescending, but I stopped having that problem when I started making sure I stayed out of cager blind spots. I-5, or in town, I make the effort to get ahead of, or stay behind, cagers trying to kill me. Not as hard as it seems, and certainly not taxing, it just becomes part of the routine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMcD View Post
Then perhaps it is time to re-assess your riding gear. High-viz gear changes traffic patterns around you. In your situation, reflective everything should do the trick. Go buy a strip of 3M SOLAS grade reflective tape and create some cool patterns on your helmet. There is plenty on a roll to add some to your bike, too.
do both of these.

You'll still be merged into as you're safely passing that dope on their phone.
tblume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,965
Now Tim - if you were 'safely' passing it'd be at reasonable speed, yes?
I like the phrase "pass with prejudice" ...works for me (even in the hack!)
tony the tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Check out the Hyper Whites in modulate mode, mount em in a crossing pattern. Used 3 years commuting up and down I5, never had a LEO look crosswise and even had some of Tacoma and Fifies finest compliment them. Added benny? People get out of your way.
SOP Dirt-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #14
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Yeah, I've got a high-vis jacket, I've got reflective tape on my arm, and down my leg, I stay out of blind spots, even have loud pipes. Nothing wrong with a little more, because even with all that, I've still had the teenage girl texting swerve too close. I know lights won't make it impossible to be ignored, but it makes it harder. Just wondering the legality of it.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #15
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
"loud pipes save lives"
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote