Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #31
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalman93 View Post
While I know that some people here on the forum here who have been riding since the dawn of internal combustion , there are some of us who have not had parents or family members who got us into riding.

Personally, I started riding at 16. My dad was never that into cars and believed that motorcycles are synonymous with killing yourself. Somehow, I unknowingly got my mom into it and she now rides with a group of women riders. Unfortunately, she prefers chromed-out Harleys, but to each their own I guess. Fortunately, I haven't really had any issues with my family about riding, aside from being accused of taking over the whole garage with 'useless projects'

This brings up the question, what are some obstacles that any other first-gen riders have had to deal with?
I'll admit I had it easy. I started riding a year ago when I was 20 and have no family that rides, It was just a life long dream and it was time for it to come true. I first asked my mom what she thought about 2 years ago and the 1st thing she said was "yeah, just be safe, take the class and wear your gear". That answer surprised me, I was expecting at least a little resistance.

Following her provisions was no problem for me since that's what I was planning on doing anyways. I did get a lot of horror stories and people telling me not to do it before I actually started riding but it calmed down after a few months on the bike. My immediate family never criticized my decision and actually helped me look for a bike.

The biggest problem I've had to deal with (and still dealing with) is my girlfriends very protective family when she decided she wanted to ride with me. I get threatening looks and a lot of warnings about having her on the bike, or some of them completely ignore the bike like it doesn't exist (won't even mention motorcycle). As far as I'm concerned its her decision, not mine and not theirs, so I take it all and just keeping doing what I do. Now she wants her own bike and they blame me for that too, oh well.

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #32
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,410
Cool2 first gen rider

I am a first generation rider too. My Dad helped raise one of his big Brother's sons, and he was in to bikes. Triumphs and later big Kawasaki 4-cylinder bikes.
My folks bought me a Honda Z50 for my eighth birthday , and as I grew, I progressed through the XL series.
But Dad was adamant that I not get a "big street bike", although I rode my XL everywhere I went.
When he returned from serving in Korea, he saw a guy wreck a Harley bobber and get decapitated. So he freaked at the thought of me on a large bike. (I figure someone strung a piano-wire across the road, I've heard this was a somewhat common practice in the '50s).

So at H.S. graduation we made a deal, I promised to not ride bikes as long as he lived, and I got a new sports-car to start college. Worst freakin' deal I ever made.
About two years after he died, I bought a bike.....yeah it took me a while to pick one.
I am still the only one in my extended family who rides, except for one cousin's husband. (Who has also ridden since the '60s and has been a soft shoulder, so to speak)
And my wife, who started last Summer.

I regret the wasted time.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #33
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
I have been under the impression that MOST riders were "1st generation". Any stats on that? I was, WTF is the big deal, most people I rode with when I started riding were. I got my first motorized wheels around 1969.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.

viverrid screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 07:20 PM
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #34
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
I have been under the impression that MOST riders were "1st generation". Any stats on that? I was, WTF is the big deal, most people I rode with when I started riding were. I got my first motorized wheels around 1969.
After a very quick, non-thorough Google search... I came up with 6.5 million registered motorcycles in the USA as of 2003 (obviously higher now due to gas prices jumping up a few years later, but not by that much). With our population around 300-330 million there just are not that many of us out there relatively speaking.

I was a first generation rider as well, although after I got a bike my dad mentioned that they rode dirt bikes all over town when him and his brothers were kids. Only one has ridden since that I know of.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #35
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,625
It's great reading all of your stories, makes me feel really lucky. Thanks Dad. He started me riding when I was 5, all of my good memories growing up are from riding with him and my brother.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #36
IrishJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I got my first bike to get to work and back in Ireland in '78. A Honda 50. Had it about three months when I skidded on some black ice and went down. Luckily I was dressed for December weather - skidded on my back for about twenty feet and had all but the bottommost layer of clothes torn completely off except for the last layer, a thin undershirt. The bike was still rideable but parental pressure forced me into a car.

Flash forward thrity two years...now in Missouri and having saved for seven years bought my TU250. My wife is a health professional and dead set against 'suicide manchines' but I figure at this stage my life insurance is worth more than I am and dammit I have worked hard all my life so I deserve to have some fun.

Despite the lingering fear that is in the back of my mind I have nver enjoyed a purchase so much. I take it easy and am having a blast just ambling around all the backroads and side streets while dreaming of my first major road trip hopefullt this summer to my old stamping grounds in Texas.
However...oldest son has a 'crotch rocket' that scares me to death and I pray that he has some very minor accident that will instill in him the idea that you you are not invulnerable...

Still - life is worth living to the fullest.

None of us are getting out of here alive anyway
Old 03-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #37
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Alright, I'm about to ramble a bit.

My dad and my uncles rode when they were teens, I hear, and a cousin of mine had an old RM125, but that was it.

I don't know when I started wanting one, but I guess I was pretty young. I remember the news running a story on a 7 year old MX rider and I was upset that a kid younger than me was riding. Mom told me the story of how they happened up on a fatality when they were kids one night, which I still remember. They saw a shoe in the road, then found the kid hung up on a fencepost by his helmet. It had stretched his neck out quite a bit, she said.

But, racing has always been a big deal here. You could play football or do that, so I spent a lot of time watching kids my age do that sort of thing. There were flat track races (albeit on trail & mx bikes), barrel races, pole bending, and later motocross finally took off, while the rodeo stuff has fallen to the side. Four wheelers get just as much attention here, and so I was alright with that idea.

I got handed down a 2 stroke Polaris with bald tires, signed a "contract" essentially stating I couldn't do a thing on it, but snuck off with it to trail ride when I could. But, I decided it still had a couple too many wheels. A neighbor kid had a few jumps and a CRF230, so us local kids with something to ride would show up, where I would typically break motor mounts on the Polaris.

Then, I saw some bike in the weeds, leaning up against a shed. The image is just burned into my brain. "KE100" in those colors only David Lee Roth could love. It had a headlight, but plenty of dirtbikes do. But then, some little orange lights, lined up to indicate turns, it seems. Then that extra set of pegs, that set it off. That meant I could put a real live girl on there. So I asked about it, and later hear from my mom that it needed work, so that was the excuse. Valves she said, on a 2 stroke.

I get to researching on the old dial up and find the KLR's to be pretty neat. The 250 was still an option at the time, but somehow I thought (at maybe eleven years old?) that the 650 was perfectly fine. I even printed a picture and took it to school. The kids that actually did ride got a laugh out of it that I didn't really understand. I just knew I could get my license younger on a bike and there were street legal dirtbikes out there. What could stop you with that?

Eventually me and the kid with the CRF went fishing one day. He'd ask me to move the bike, I'd get on it, he'd ask me to roll it instead. That went on all day, then as I went to roll it out of the way for him again, he told he it would be fine to start it up, since it was only a few feet to cover. So I did, and I killed it 3 or 4 times, then when I didn't, it took off out from under me and hit a tree. We straightened out the shift lever and I worked on my pride a little. Later I asked my cousin with the RM125 to show me how to ride, and I managed to keep it upright around a field for a minute, then laid it down in the gravel. People tend to stop letting you ride stuff when you don't stay on top of it.

But before I could ever get the motorcycle treaty worked out between my folks and myself, Dad went and died, so money for things like that just wasn't a possibility anyway, and I'd imagine Mom didn't want her only child in any situation like that. I found out, after he died, that he was backing a car out into the road as a teenager, when a kid on a bike came over a blind hill and hit him. They took him off life support a few days later and he died. Apparently the kid just happened to be my dad's best friend, thus everybody stops riding and, in no short turn of events, left me with a pretty crappy dad.

I'd been 18 for about 2 months when I started paying a guy for a TW200, a couple hundred a month, working construction for it at the time. Got it home, didn't have a battery in it, started riding around the neighborhood with no gear, ran out of gas, lights died, locked brakes (if you can on a TW), found gravel, burned my leg pretty bad. I pushed it about a mile home, put gas in it and took off again. Had a slightly worse layover on that bike where I showed up a little bloody after a big walk home, but the folks just got in my truck and helped me load the bike up.

Four years and six bikes later, I've kinda established with the family that I'm not just trying it out. Had a slightly worse layover on that TW where I showed up a little bloody after a big walk home, but the folks just got in my truck and helped me load the bike up. Mom still worries, but she'll run neighborhood errands on the bike if I leave a key in it. I figure it could be worse.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #38
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 212
I am a first generation rider. I was forbidden to have a motorcycle by both parents. I was into building my own bicycles and had made several radical bicycles by the time I was 12 or 13. My parents should have supported my ingenuity... but they failed to see the positive aspects of being mechanically inclined. My cousins, neighbors and a few school buddies had dirtbikes and I learned to ride on other people's bikes. I caught the fever.
I bought my first bike with paper-route money. A clapped out 1975 Honda CR250. My parents were furious. But I told them it didn't run. That seemed to work. Then, everytime I was home alone I took the bike out for a ride.

The bike got a pin-hole in the gas tank and I remember asking my dad for help. He was absolutely clueless. Couldn't help me one bit. I kept asking him questions about things I maybe should be doing to get the bike right. He just had no idea about anything (he was an electrical engineer for christ sake!) But he didn't even suggest changing oil, sparkplug, nothing. USELESS!! I fixed the leak with by pushing a thumbtack into the hole and bondo-ing over the tack. It worked but it was butt-ugly.

Anyway, fast-forward 30+ years and I am a fanatic. My garage is a bike shop and I own 6 or 7 bikes at any given moment (mostly dirtbikes). Every once in a while I remind my Mom what happens when you forbid your children from pursuing an interest. I open the garage door and say "This is what happens when you forbid your kid from having a dirtbike."

I already have a bike ready for my 3 yr old nephew. That lucky little bastard will learn everything he needs to know from from the World's Greatest Uncle!
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #39
ColonelDibsies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I'm kinda a first gen rider. My dad used to ride an old CB450 a lot, raced dirtbikes when he was in his 20's and then got married and that kinda just faded away. Now he hates the idea of me riding. I kinda just bought one. I usually call once a week and after I bought it they didn't get a call for a month or so, so they new something was up.
My dad is funny about it, often he will just pretend like i don't ride cuz it's too dangerous, but every once in a while he starts talking bikes with me. (We both love classic vehicles!) and then it's good for a while, but next time i bring it up, he just doesn't want to hear it! Haha!
My mom couldn't care less about the motorcycle part, just the money part, she has actually talked to me about getting one before, which as a 5'6'' larger woman, would be humorous, because she wants something sporty, not some stupid harley or a bmw with a sidecar (her words, not mine. Sidecars are awesome!)
But for both of them, classes, helmets, i'm so careful doesn't matter, motorcycles are dangerous. and they are right... kinda.
ColonelDibsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #40
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
I didn't get my first motorcycle until I was 24, didn't really know where to start and did a lot of things wrong. But I survived, and now I'm hopelessly, completely addicted. When I can't ride, motorcycles are all I think about, and every significant stretch of free time I have turns into a road trip. I've had four bikes in four years, ridden many more, and have a gear collection that just keeps growing, no matter what I try! Funny how that works.

But motorcycles were never in the picture growing up for me. My father wasn't mechanically inclined, never rode motorcycles and would prefer that I didn't. He wanted to get one when he was a teenager, but his mother forbade it and he never pursued it after the fact. He's handy, a contractor who did kitchen & bath remodeling for many years, but he never had an aptitude for larger machines and consequently I didn't have anyone close to learn from. I turned wrenches as much as I could growing up, took a couple years of Auto Shop in high school, worked on my own cars as much as I could, but I didn't grow up with a wrench in my hand.

But I've turned out mostly okay! Save for the collection of ever more powerful motorcycles sitting in my garage . . .

Two Wheeled 'Tard screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 11:55 AM
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #41
kiwi_outdoors
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
for some the bike bug might start real early

I was working in the garage Sunday, with the door open, , and noticed a toddler (and his nanny) at the sidewalk end of our small cul-de-sac; the toddler pointed at my Weestrom and made a good vroom-svroom sound!!

I started riding at 55+/-.
kiwi_outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #42
jsalman93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJohn View Post

None of us are getting out of here alive anyway

best....quote....ever

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #43
LowInSlo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
First Gen, older rider when I started. Was in my 40s when I first rode. Parent very opposed to it when I was young. Life intervened, lots of stuff, no time to even think about bikes. Then one day, called two of my oldest friends, who are (were) both riders, signed up for the MSF course, been digging it ever since.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #44
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelDibsies View Post
My dad used to ride an old CB450 a lot, raced dirtbikes when he was in his 20's
Hate to be captain obvious, but you are disqualified!
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #45
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,461
My parents offered to 'buy' me a car.

The bike I was planning to buy was $200, the car they thought was good (that I'd have had to pay half of) $1200.

Bike won, amazingly good value for $200 (TS-185), I sold it five years later, from memory at a profit. I have some good memories there - well, once the cold, scared, cold, in pain and cold bits are factored out . Yeah, I remember being cold a lot, NZ is like that.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote