User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
Davideokills OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Davideo's R75/6 Project

Here is a little background on the history of this project. I picked up a 1975 BMW R75/6 last winter. At the time I was making modifications to a 1987 CBR 600 and had created a build thread for that project on a CBR forum so I could get feedback on the more technical mechanical stuff because I'm still learning a lot on that end. After mentioning that I bought the BMW some people following that build were curious about my progress so I made a little thread for the BMW. They are some nice guys and have helped me out but it is kind of silly asking BMW questions in a CBR forum so I decided it was time for a move.

To the Mods I read the rules about cross forum posting and want to be clear that I intend on updating this thread with all my future progress and have only referenced the other thread so people can see where I'm coming from on this build. If you would like me to amend any of these first post just let me know and I'll get right on it.

It has been over a year now since I got this bike and I have decided to really focus on getting it finished for this spring. This forum has been such a big inspiration to me on many of the modifications I've done so far and I'm really looking forward to getting feedback from all of the smart folks here.

Here is the bike in the shed of the guy that previously owned it.

Some text from early posts:
I've started brainstorming and doing research on what I would like to do with the bike and of course what started as "I'll make a few adjustments and get it going" is quickly turning into "I could do this, and I could do this, and this and that". One nice thing is that I've found some well documented work on this bike that makes it easy to do the changes I want. Here is my main inspiration: Ritmo Sereno I found this bike a while back and fell in love with it. It almost seems like fate that one similar just fell into my lap. This is a great thread on someone else's build that I'm pulling a lot of ideas from: PROJECT: 76 R75/6 Cafe - ADVrider

Davideokills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Davideokills OP
Adventurer

I decided to go with the same color scheme as the Ritmo bike and found these pics while doing research on them.

I found this cool video interview of Shiroh Nakajima from Ritmo Sereno.
Ritmo Sereno on Vimeo

Original tail and other progess pics

I love these snowflake rims and I think they will really pop when I get some color on them.

Profile with everything cleared out.

A quick mock up of what I think it might look like in MS paint

Rough idea of what I had in mind for paint.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Davideokills OP
Adventurer

More in progress pics:
New Tank

Rear set mock up

With the exhaust for the Honda for kicks

Rear sets mounted with plywood templates for the aluminum pieces I need to make

Shiny sets

Bing Bling!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Davideokills OP
Adventurer

I spent a night reorganizing the workshop. Doesn't sound tough but it was... I pushed three heavy a$$ bikes out to the barn in the snow and moved my CBR inside. None of the bikes had moved in a long time so the brakes or chain was seized up on basically every one. My Honda felt like a bicycle after moving those bastards. I put the Honda up on a stand in the hopes that it would get me to start paying more attention to it but my mind is still wrapped up in the BMW.

DSC01188 by Davideokills, on Flickr

DSC01186 by Davideokills, on Flickr

I took the shifter lever off and caramel came out!

DSC01191 by Davideokills, on Flickr

My tach/speedo came in so I made this bracket up.

F4 by Davideokills, on Flickr

F3 by Davideokills, on Flickr

F2 by Davideokills, on Flickr

I bought a stainless steel salad bowl at Kmart and did some experimenting. I'm probably going to rivet this together and fiberglass it like I did the side covers on the Honda but this looks really neat in raw metal and I think if I did it again I could probably cut it cleaner and make a stainless fairing

F6 by Davideokills, on Flickr

F7 by Davideokills, on Flickr

F8 by Davideokills, on Flickr

F5 by Davideokills, on Flickr
Old 02-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Davideokills OP
Adventurer

have more pics of both bikes on the flickr page.

DSC01251 by Davideokills, on Flickr

DSC01266 by Davideokills, on Flickr

DSC01262 by Davideokills, on Flickr

DSC01253 by Davideokills, on Flickr

DSC01248 by Davideokills, on Flickr

DSC01244 by Davideokills, on Flickr

A while back i bought an aftermarket exhaust for a Honda Foreman really cheap off eBay $18 with shipping. As soon as I got the exhaust in the mail I could tell it wouldn't work so I relisted it. The exhaust ended up selling for $190! I turned around an bought a 5" Supertrapp exhaust. I got the 5" exhaust in the mail and sent it back because it was just to big. I had them send out a new 4" of the same model and it seemed a bit small visually but I just kept it.

I haven't done much since getting the exhaust. Summer is providing a good distraction most days. Here is a pic of the exhaust and tail section in a rough in process state. I wonder if the opening is big enough to avoid heat damage to the tail.

DSC01474 by Davideokills, on Flickr

This Roland Sands build I saw recently is awesome. Wonder how it handles the heat radiated off.
Grunt | Roland Sands Design
Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Davideokills OP
Adventurer

So that was all back story. These are picks I took yesterday of my recent progress.

Here is a pic of the exhaust mocked up. It will actually be closer to the engine once it is welded up. The tape released some from the weight. I've been thinking about a belly pan but haven't decided yet.

IMAG0675 by Davideokills, on Flickr

IMAG0650 by Davideokills, on Flickr

Here is one of the brackets I made for the new calipers.

IMAG0655 by Davideokills, on Flickr

Here is the new battery box with a little lithium battery.

IMAG0657 by Davideokills, on Flickr

The completed rear sets. I used the linkage piece from a later model BMW and adapted everything to work.

IMAG0648 by Davideokills, on Flickr

I was able to modify the stock clutch cable and make a small ferrule so it all works great. I was really excited about this when I did it and it was such a tiny modification.

IMAG0671 by Davideokills, on Flickr

I need to buy some braided brake lines to connect up the new calipers to my pretty master cylinder.

IMAG0670 by Davideokills, on Flickr

I remade the screens for the velocity stacks and this time the look much better. I used a ladle screen thing I found in the housewares department for the outer screen. They fit and look perfect on there. It felt like fate when I stumbled across them. It is funny how much I pay attention walking through all different kinds of stores imagining if household stuff could be used in some application on a motorcycle.

IMAG0647 by Davideokills, on Flickr

Bought these Fox Shox to put on it but I need to make or buy the right size mounting bushings.

IMAG0687 by Davideokills, on Flickr

So first question to the gurus here. What do I do about a gas cap? When I bought the tank it didn't come with one and a quick search on ebay only turned up really pricey options that may work.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Leadnuts
do-over...

Oddometer: 116
lovin it...

Did you make your velo stacks? cause I want some similar to those...

I am super happy with that exhaust (mines similar).. Is that a flex exhaust tube?! Didn't know that even was a thing that existed, that would have saved me a lot of time..
Leadnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Davideokills OP
Adventurer

Thanks Leadnuts.
I bought the velocity stacks on ebay. They were older ones for a car I think. I just epoxied the screen, filter foam and velocity stack all together. I was toiling with the idea of attaching magnets to the screen/foam part so I can quickly put them on/off and not mess up the velocity stack.

You can find that flex tube stuff at Autozone or Napa. It is stainless 2" tube. hopefully it works alright. When I bought it I was thinking it is a short term solution until I get ambitious enough to make the mid pipe. If it works well I might leave it in there. I don't know much about exhausts but I would guess the ridges on it create turbulence and will lower the performance over all.

I was planing on using a mig welder to tack the sections of the stainless steel exhaust together and then take the whole thing to a welding shop to tig weld. Anyone foresee problems with this?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Davideokills OP
Adventurer

Ritmo Video

That Ritmo video didn't load the first time around.
http://vimeo.com/28040816
Old 03-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 4,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davideo
what started as "I'll make a few adjustments and get it going" is quickly turning into "I could do this, and I could do this, and this and that"...
Yeah. Called "Project Creep" or The Snowball Effect". Happens all the time.

Quote:
A quick mock up of what I think it might look like in MS paint...
Rough idea of what I had in mind for paint.
Good idea. I do "computer cut-and-pastes" like that to see how something will look.

Quote:
Rear sets mounted with plywood templates for the aluminum pieces I need to make...
Now we're talkin'.

Quote:
I took the shifter lever off and caramel came out!
Not good. That is water in the transmission oil. Usually comes in through a cracked speedo cable boot. Change the oil, run the bike a few miles, change it a couple more times.

Nice project. You've seen Benthic's project, no?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754829

--Bill
Old 03-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
kaput13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
inventive. I like. Love that saladbowl fairing.
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Davideokills OP
Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Not good. That is water in the transmission oil. Usually comes in through a cracked speedo cable boot. Change the oil, run the bike a few miles, change it a couple more times.

Nice project. You've seen Benthic's project, no?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754829

--Bill
I had a feeling that was water in the oil. The guy I bought it from hadn't parked it for more than a year so hopefully the transmission bearings aren't rusted. I'm using a digital speedo so I took the cable out. I need to be sure to plug that opening. Any suggestions on what to use to make those plugs?

It was about a year ago when I took that pic and I remember how shocked I was when the oil started coming out. I kicked a piece of the tail section underneath it to catch the oil but you can see in the pic it is holding anything just leaking all over the floor lol.

Hadn't looked at Benthic's project. I'm pretty excited to go through 35 pages of info! It is kind of funny he talks about buying that exhaust wrench. I was too cheap to buy one so I made one out of plywood using a jigsaw.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
Leadnuts
do-over...

Oddometer: 116
damn you...

I WANT THAT MUFFLER! jealous -_-
Leadnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
Davideokills OP
Adventurer

Took a little effort to get my a$$ back to work after spending a week in Culebra, Puerto Rico and then going to SXSW but the warm weather recently was a good motivator. I had to cut up and tinker with the bushing to mount the shocks but I got that squared away.

DSC01900 by Davideokills, on Flickr
I picked up some PJ carbs that I'm going to try out.

DSC01903 by Davideokills, on Flickr
I've been prepping the tank for paint and cleaning up the tail too.

DSC01904 by Davideokills, on Flickr

DSC01905 by Davideokills, on Flickr

I made a little cover for the where the air intake used to be just need to clean it up some.

DSC01909 by Davideokills, on Flickr
I have some new brake lines coming in the mail as well as some other odds and ends.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,333

Dunno how I missed this?

Keep it up! loving your ingenuity!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote