Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #16
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
The freeway thing is a non-issue for me. In NYC the only time I need the freeway is for a mile on the BQE on occasion... There's always traffic. Always. If the CH80 can handle it, so can the Zuma.
Ok. It's a big deal here in the southwest because there is often no other way to get anywhere without at least going on a freeway for a few miles. Backroads rarely cross state lines out here, and it is even legal to ride a bicycle on the shoulder of many freeways, because there is just no way around it. But motor vehicles under 150cc are still prohibited. Freeways (or interstates anyway) out here are not the jam packed high speed demolition derbys they are in some places.

If 125cc and 55 mph is good enough, I cannot recommend any scooter more highly than the Yamaha Zuma 125. I fully expect it to outlast me. And it has some nice options. Yamaha makes a windshield for it, Shad makes both a custom fit luggage rack and has 3-4 different trunks that fit it, then there are the aforementioned highway pegs that allow you to use the entire floor space to carry stuff. And at 6' 225 I find it VERY comfortable.

Notice the rear trunk and custom fit rear rack that does not require usung universal clamps to install. Also it is easy to use saddlebags on due to the flat side panels.

JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #17
Tremelune OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
The Kymcos got knocked out because they're carburated. Yes, carburated motors can be very reliable in the cold and the hot, but they usually require cleaning and tweaking and tuning as time passes or when the outside temperature changes by 60 degrees. If I were going to go that route, I would just stick with the venerable and hideous CH80. I'm a bit tired of dealing with start/idle issues, though. From what I've read, as long as you don't modify things and use clean gas, fuel injection just works without touching it year after year.
Tremelune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #18
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
For some reason I don't have the problems with carburetors that most people seem to. My bought new Vino 125 has a carb, and I have not had the slightest trouble with it in 24,000 miles. I have a motorcycle with carbs, also bought new, it now has 78,000 miles on it and I have never touched the carbs. I have had some problems with carbs on used bikes, because someone let them set there for a long time with gas in them. I make it a habit whenever I buy a used bike to clean the carbs, and I never have any issues after that. Carbs are simple, last forever, the wear parts, like the float needle valve and seat are cheap, but they may outlast the bike. And you don't have hundreds of $$$ worth of electronics to fail. There were a lot of fuel pump failures on '09 Zuma 125s, fortunately Yamaha stepped up and replaced them. They are a $200 part. The throttle body itself is $320, about the price of a complete carb, and then there is the ECU that controls everything, which is almost $400. So it is almost $1000 just for those 3 parts, and then there are a few sensors and other widgets that a carbed bike doesn't have.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #19
Tremelune OP
Adventurer

All true, but electronics don't tend to fail.

My desire to move away from carbs may have a fair amount to do with the fact that I've never owned a new one, and since I've never kept a scooter for longer than a year, I didn't have much of a chance to get one really sorted and see how long it stayed that way.

It's possible I'm not giving carbs a fair shake, but I find it rare hear the owner of a fuel injected scooter wish for them.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,319
didn't check through the whole thread, but yahama just sent out a recall on the fuel injector, mine is in right now getting replaced. I never had an issue though for 3.9K miles in heat and cold
Great wee scooter the zuma is
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
didn't check through the whole thread, but yahama just sent out a recall on the fuel injector, mine is in right now getting replaced. I never had an issue though for 3.9K miles in heat and cold
Great wee scooter the zuma is
The recall is for the fuel pumps on the '09 model year only. There is an internal clearance problem that causes the pump to not spin when the case gets warm. Mine crapped out on a toasty 105F day. It appears to have been a manufacturing error that was corrected at some point by the fuel pump supplier. It's a shame that it took 4 years of complaints to get the recall (considering there was a recall in Japan for the same problem in '09). I replaced my second yamaha fuel pump ( I had one of the early failures in '09, and Yamaha replaced the pump free of charge with one from the same run of faulty pumps) with an aftermarket pump, so I won't be partaking in the recall, but the new pumps will be the same as are in the '10 and newer bikes.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #22
Tremelune OP
Adventurer

Hm. It may come down to whichever is available used locally...All of these seem pretty hard to come by...I'd like to pay under $2,000 for one.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #23
MskJon
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I have 3 Elite 110s, they're awesome. Elsewhere they r the Honda Lead which are top sellers.
MskJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #24
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
there are a lot of 110 leads about the uk, i am sure they are dead reliable and good wee bikes. cheaper than the zuma and probably cheaper to run.

only problem is they are really boring looking and zumas are awesome lol