User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
fotoguzzi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Steerite Questions

I picked up a wheelchair hack on a velorex frame.. considering my Moto Guzzi Bassa to haul my Dad around in his Whchair..
If I do the Steerite conversion (I have spare fork) can the bike be ridden 2 wheels?
If I take off the hack, what's it like to ride with the Steerite conversion?

Crazy idea I know and I can always ride my Lemans 2 wheeler if that won't work.

I can't find a web site for Steerite, can you help? thx, foto

pix from seller, bad..

Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,354
Lotsa guys will probably warn you about the dire consequences of riding your V11 with the steerite. But, FWIW, I ride a BMW 1150GS and it has a fork mod similar to a steerite (I have the one designed by DMC). When I need to take the bike to the dealer for service, I disconnect the sidecar and leave it in the garage, and ride the bike to the dealer. (I also have a car tire on the rear.) My impression is that the bike is not as responsive as I'd like, but it's perfectly rideable. I have no problem making right and left turns from a stop in 1st gear, and no problem on the slab. Bike feels stable and predictable. Just a little sluggish. Let's see what the other guys say.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
hahnda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
It may depend on how much trail the Bassa had to begin with and then how much after the conversion. If there is still adequate trail after the conversion then you should be ok.

If it were me I would give the rig a try without the steerite at first. Especially if you have plans to take the sidecar on and off on a regular basis.
Heidenau Tires
hahnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnda View Post
It may depend on how much trail the Bassa had to begin with and then how much after the conversion. If there is still adequate trail after the conversion then you should be ok.

If it were me I would give the rig a try without the steerite at first. Especially if you have plans to take the sidecar on and off on a regular basis.
Pretty decent advice, if the chair is correctly mounted with a minimal amount to wheel lead its doable but probably would need a steering damper.DB
http://www.sidecars.ca/
Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
fotoguzzi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
thx, I will for sure try it first before spending on the steerite.. and possibly looking for a KLR or DR, it might be more fun on a bike like that?
I get it tomorrow.
If I get it road worthy I won't be taking the chair off I don't think.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
I could be wrong but I have heard that side-effects is no longer doing steerites as of a few days ago. I hope I am wrong about this as for some bikes they are a good way to go.
For the Bassa we do make new from billet triple tree's as well as bike specific mounting hardware HOWEVER the velorex frame is way to light duty for a bike as large as the Bassa. I know of one person who was killed as a sidecar dealer insisted that the Velorex was the right sidecar for a V11. If you do insist on going with the Velorex frame on this, make sure that it is new enough to have the 20mm axle, up graded shock and it would also be a good idea to up grade the wheel. And NEVER try and ride it with out a passenger or lots of ballist.
Once the steering has been modified you should not ride the bike with out the sidecar however if you take the time to set the bike up right, you may find that you are having so much fun with it that you do not want to take the sidecar off. BTW, we also offer a similar sidecar based on our Kenna frame. It is pleanty strong however like the Velorex you would never want to ride it with out a passenger or lots of ballist.
If you are located any where near us we have 3 similar Guzzi's in the shop right now getting sidecars. Also the local Moto Guzzi club is having their breakfast meeting Saturday about 10 minutes from us.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
I could be wrong but I have heard that side-effects is no longer doing steerites as of a few days ago.
Actually, back on Jan 4 Side Effects announced that they no longer offer the Steerite product line. They do carry billet replacement trees for certain bikes just like Jay and some other shops do. I don't know much about Steerite--is that a product manufactured overseas that Side Effects was importing to North America?
Old 03-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Steer rite is what side effects called what they did to stock tree's. They cut them apart and welded them back together with the forks at a different angle.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
Steerite

I put a Side Effects/Steerite modded triple clamp on my GL1500 Goldwing. It made an amazing difference, really lightening up the steering effort, and reducing the low speed wobble too. The welding/machining involved in the mod was top notch. I saw their anouncement regarding stopping Steerite production too - maybe they lost the guy that was doing their aluminum welding, or had a failure that scared them off continueing supplying them. Peter & Brock are great guys - I'm sure they had a good reason.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Lotsa guys will probably warn you about the dire consequences of riding your V11 with the steerite. But, FWIW, I ride a BMW 1150GS and it has a fork mod similar to a steerite (I have the one designed by DMC). When I need to take the bike to the dealer for service, I disconnect the sidecar and leave it in the garage, and ride the bike to the dealer. (I also have a car tire on the rear.) My impression is that the bike is not as responsive as I'd like, but it's perfectly rideable. I have no problem making right and left turns from a stop in 1st gear, and no problem on the slab. Bike feels stable and predictable. Just a little sluggish. Let's see what the other guys say.
I' got the same setup on GSA and it is trip to ride,but it can be done.Its almost like riding astretch out chopper with a fat tire on the rear.I [purposely take it for a small ride everytime I split tub off...We've used a steerrite etup on a friends bike and it worked great..But what ever you do the steering mod you do will help...Good luck...
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote