Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #76
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Thanks, Jerry. We have traveled all over this country. Phoenix has some bad drivers, but they are pussycats compared to Texas. Yes, I know motorcyclists in every state think their drivers are the worst, but Texas seems to have a much higher proportion of aggressive drivers. I consider it NASCAR meets Tijuana Taxi!
Nah, growing up near Disneyland we had a game of name the state by how they drive. Massachusetts has the worst drivers in the nation, Louisiana and Florida are both worse than Texas especially when you get outside of the major cities. When I see Louisiana plates on a car in Houston pay close attention to what they are doing. Not all folks in Louisiana are bad drivers but there's a pretty high percentage that are.

FWIW, my son used to lie to his friends when they'd ask the gas mileage he was getting on our Buddy 125. He'd tell them 95mpg when he really got closer to 105. I asked him why and he said they felt bad enough about the gas mileage of their truck or car. Plus his school required a parking permit with a $100 fee to park a car, assuming you were lucky enough to get one of the limited number of parking permits while the Buddy and other scooter/motorcycles have an area they can park free without a permit.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #77
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,026
Ah, this reminds me of the George Carlin routine about "two kinds of drivers."

There are plenty of bad drivers out there - my comment was in regards to aggressive drivers. Only in Texas have I been passed on the right... when I was already in the right lane! Only in Texas have I been passed on the left, only to have that driver cut across 5 lanes of traffic to "make the exit." If you are only doing 10 miles per hour over the speed limit, they will come up behind you and ride your bumper (rather than just pass). After we were hit by an uninsured driver in Texas, I was told by the insurance adjuster that they estimate over 40% of the drivers in south Texas don't carry insurance. When we are there, I tend to spend more time on the water than on the roads... it's much safer.

We spent 30 years in the Black Hills in western South Dakota. It is a motorcycling wonderland. Also, a major tourist destination... so there are drivers from all over there, just like Disneyland. Plenty of "flatlanders" who haven't driven hills, mountains, and twisty roads. We have traveled coast to coast; from south of the Mexico border to north of the Canadian border... there are plenty of bad drivers out there.

If you see a car driving 20 mph under the speed limit, in the passing lane, with their left turn signal blinking away endlessly... betcha there's a Minnesota license plate on there!

-------------

Regarding the gas mileage: when someone asks, I tell 'em "around 100 miles per gallon." My wife is always quick to add, "I get better than that." Apparently, it IS a contest.

-------------

More scootering around today - lunch out and some shopping. We put an easy 55 miles of in-town driving on the scoots.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/03/just-boppin.html

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

CaptnJim screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 06:59 PM
CaptnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #78
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

I'm sure it's the fact that the Honda just looks friendly - it brings out the comments...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/03/comments.html

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 03-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #79
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Git yer motor runnin'.
Head on on the highway...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/03/speed-runs.html

Best wishes,
Jim

Another fuel-up today - I did not break the century mark... Captain Jim's bike: 98 mpg; the Blonde's bike: 104 mpg.

CaptnJim screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 05:51 PM
CaptnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #80
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,982
About 12 years ago, I was riding a 50cc Tomos moped with a top speed of 30 mph on the right shoulder of SR347, between I-10 and the town of Maricopa. At that tine Maricopa was experiencing a huge housing and commercial construction boom, and the traffic on the 4 lane road (2 lanes in each direction) was heavy and the drivers aggressive. It was perfectly legal to ride the moped on the shoulder of a rural road in AZ, bicyclists do it all the time, in fact I had passed a couple of them earlier. Some moron in a Suburban decided traffic was not going fast enough (it was about 65-70) and tried to pass on the right shoulder. He did not see me riding along at 30 mph until it was to late. He ran off the shoulder and into the dirt, but cut it to close, the corner of his front bumper caught my right leg just below the knee from behind, breaking my leg in several places, tearing us muscles and ligaments, etc. I went down hard, and instead of sliding, tumbled until I came to a stop. I had 9 broken bones, a lot of road rash, and severe muscle, tendon, ligament, and cartilage damage.

The broken bones and road rash healed, but I still have issues with the tissue damage, and the doctor says I always will. There were multiple witnesses, and the Sub driver stopped. I collected a $50,000 insurance settlement (policy limits), my insurance from work covered all the medical bills, but I had to be off work for 3 months (2 weeks of it in the hospital) and had to use my sick leave time for that.

I had already noticed that there was absolutely no traffic enforcement on that road, which was under the jurisdiction of no less than 4 different LE agencies, AZ DPS, the only one that responded to the accident, Maricopa county sheriffs office, Maricopa police department, and Gila River Indian reservation police. I sent emails to all 4 agencies and the governors office, the only one I heard back from was DPS, thanking me for my interest. BS.

I now notice the police are all over that road, from one end to the other. They must stop at least 100 vehicles a day.

There are places in AZ where the drivers are not to bad, and there are places it is attempted suicide to go on a scooter, moped, or small motorcycle.

I was recently up in the Payson/Show Low area, in a truck, and encountered heavy snow between Payson and Show Low (about 100 miles) I noticed a lot of people driving way to fast. I also noticed a lot of vehicles that had slammed into guard rails, run off the road into ditches and trees, and a couple of rollovers. For some reason almost everyone in this state is absolutely determined to drive as fast as they can. Some go just a little too far.

And besides cars, several roads were pretty much taken over by crotch rocket riders, riding over 100 mph through curvy mountain roads in large groups. The cops finally got tired of that, and called in enough reinforcements to shut it down. These roads are still heavily populated with cops, and these riders are still getting busted despite all the publicity about it.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #81
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Hi Jerry,

I certainly understand. I've been riding for 45 years, and have gotten off hard twice. I don't ride my motorcycle a lot in south Texas because of the aggressive drivers. The problem for riders everywhere is: someone stupid can show up anywhere... not just where traffic is congested.

I've noticed a change in attitude (mine) as I've ... um... matured. While there are times I enjoy carving up a canyon, I just like being out on two wheels. Perhaps I am saying something that all the scooter riders here already know, but I feel (and act) differently on the scooter. Perhaps it is a change in mindset, maybe I've mellowed, or it could be that old "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" advertising? I have no desire to "challenge" the road or the conditions.

I know there comes a time when one has to say, "Maybe it's time to be done with this motorcycle stuff?" I have to say I was getting pretty close to that decision... and then my wife brought up the idea of a couple scooters.

I'm having fun on two wheels again. We are being cautious - it takes longer to heal at our age. Or, as my dear ol' Mother used to say: "Getting old isn't for sissies." If I can't blend with traffic, I'll do my best to find alternative routing. I have said before, I don't much like big cities. For a lot of years, I have "endured" our time in Phoenix... because we get to spend time with our delightful daughter and son-in-law. For the past couple weeks, I have seen this city in a different light... not doing the Interstates and expressways has actually been a pleasure. Instead of "Well, it will take us a half hour to get to Bell Road via the 101," I don't care how long it takes, and I'm enjoying the time enroute.

The scooters are light, maneuverable, and easy. There was a time in my life I would have been embarrassed about riding something "so small." These days, I don't need a particular motor size or brand. I'm just having fun!

Let's all ride careful. Riding through an intersection a few days ago, I came upon the aftermath of an SUV/motorcycle accident... the Suburban was parked at the curb, the bike was being loaded on a flatbed... the thing that really gave me that nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach: there was a shoe still laying in the intersection.

Take care.

Jim
Old 03-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #82
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

We scootered to an RV show today. The Blonde is getting tired of "helmet hair" the past couple weeks, and told me she is going to come up with something to help with that.

I kinda laughed that off.

I really shouldn't do that.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/03...d-helping.html

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 03-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #83
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Announcing the solution to "Helmet Hair"!!!!

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/03...lmet-hair.html
Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #84
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

The windshields came in. Thanks to YouTube, I not only knew where to undo the body panel, I knew what tools I'd need for the job. The first one took about 15 minutes (counting getting the tools out), the second was less than 10 minutes.

Before...

And after...

I was able to get the job done in between "dates" for the day. My first one without my wife, then a double-date with her. I'm probably getting too old for this stuff.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/03...ate-today.html

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 03-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #85
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,638
Looking forward to that windscreen review!

Nice blip you have there on the blog about bowling. I know a little bit about the game. It has been my business for 30 years here in So Cal. Keep your thumb at 10 o'clock and don't drop it too early, and you'll be fine.

Enjoying your post!
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #86
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Thanks, Samthg. I coulda used that bowling advice last night.

The windscreens do make a difference. Here's a link to the blog post regarding that...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/03...-key-west.html

Below 35 mph, the windshield is perfect. Above 35, you hear more wind noise than with the original. I'm willing to make that trade-off for the wind protection. WAY less wind on the torso. Also, it may be the half helmets (with flip up shield) directing the noise. It will be interesting when we get back to Texas and have our other helmets to try. I am pleased with the windshields.

Also, we did a "test run" of putting the scooters in our pickup. The ramp worked good (Harbor Freight), there was room for both, I need to refine my tie-down technique to go any distance. Here's that link...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/03...e-loading.html

And a preview...

I put the V-Strom up for sale in that thread here. We won't be back to Texas for a couple weeks, but there has already been considerable interest. It's a great bike, but it isn't getting the use it should - someone is going to get a nice low-mileage adventure cruising/touring bike.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 03-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #87
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

A good service experience - one in a row!!

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/03...n-service.html

Western Honda in Scottsdale, Arizona, are good guys. Kudos to them for making sure things go as they say.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #88
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Day three of not much scooter riding... commitments and chores getting in the way. Yes, even in retirement, you still have to get stuff done. Fortunately, on the way back from the store this afternoon, the Blonde said, "Tomorrow, we need to go for some wandering on the scooters!"

That was almost worth spending the day washing and waxing the 5th wheel.

Day one: taking the scooters across town (Phoenix is a big town) for service.
Day two: helping in our daughter's classroom.
Day three: work, work, work.

Yeah, that's about enough of that crap.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 03-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #89
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Out scootering about. More "Live to Ride, Ride to Eat", and finding a Yacht Club in the desert...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/03...ts-desert.html

A preview...

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 03-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #90
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

The bikes are loaded in the trailer, we'll hit the road in the morning. 1348 miles... and it seems like most of it is across west Texas.