Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #91
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
I am living vicariously through you right now. I live in Newfoundland and am itching to ride. Unfortunately there is still snow on the ground. It makes me happy to think that at least you guys are enjoying your scoots. I could be out riding but I like to wait until the salt is off the road.

A good thing about Newfoundland: the weather can change very quickly. It is also blessed with thousands of miles coastline (meaning: beautiful views). And traffic is very sparse. So, until I can ride again, I'm living through you guys.

Safe journeys back to Texas.

Rob
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #92
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Oddometer: 603
Thanks for the kind words, Rob. One of these years, we'd like to get to the Northeast and up into Canada during the summer. I have heard great things about how beautiful Newfoundland is. I have a contract for this summer in the Pacific Northwest (boat captain, San Juan Islands), 'cause my wife likes us to be "productive" once in a while.

Last summer, we were on our boat, and left the motorcycle at home. The two previous summers, we were in the Tetons (Grand Teton National Park) - great motorcycle riding! BUT, the speed limit in the park is 45 mph... it would have been great with the scooters, too!

I'm hoping to take at least one scooter with us this summer - we'll see how that works out.

There is a lot of nuthin' across west Texas. The speed limit is 80 mph for about 500 miles of that... with good reason. We won't do that speed while towing. Won't be any scootering for the next week or so.

Hope it thaws for you soon!

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #93
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Express RVing... it's usually a 4 day trip for us, but we made it in 3. The scooters rode in a rental trailer behind the 5th wheel, and made the trip fine. I did stop frequently to check on 'em.

Home, sweet home. Well, for a bit. We'll need a couple days to get moved back in, I'll get some detail photos of the V-Strom 650 I have for sale. Need to do some sprucing up on the boat since it has been in storage for a couple months... then, in about 4 weeks or so, we're off again.

I'm working on how to take at least one scooter with us... would be nice to take them both, but there is only so much room. We'll see.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 04-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #94
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,121
I'm jealous. When I grow up I hope to be able to travel around the country with an RV haul a scooter along

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #95
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I'm jealous. When I grow up I hope to be able to travel around the country with an RV haul a scooter along
Whoa - I didn't know "growing up" was a necessity! Well, I have no choice about getting older, but I'm doing my best to not be a grown up. When traveling with the RV, it isn't much work to hook up the Featherlite trailer behind the 5th wheel. It will comfortably hold both scooters.

We'll head out in another month for a summer on the boat. I can fit both scooters in the back of the pickup (tried it once), but it doesn't leave me room for anything else... and we rarely travel light. It will probably be just one scoot that makes the trip this time.

We'll be doing a "fun summer job" (my wife's description); I'll be driving a whale watch boat in the San Juan Islands. She already said to me, "When we're done with that job, we should take the RV, the scooters, and the kayaks to Branson and spend a couple weeks."

Getting moved back into the house today, every muscle in my body aches... and we'll do it again in a month to get moved onto the boat. And, now she's talking about "the next move"???

Before you get all jealous, it's a lotta darn work having all this fun!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 04-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #96
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Whoa - I didn't know "growing up" was a necessity! Well, I have no choice about getting older, but I'm doing my best to not be a grown up. When traveling with the RV, it isn't much work to hook up the Featherlite trailer behind the 5th wheel. It will comfortably hold both scooters.

We'll head out in another month for a summer on the boat. I can fit both scooters in the back of the pickup (tried it once), but it doesn't leave me room for anything else... and we rarely travel light. It will probably be just one scoot that makes the trip this time.

We'll be doing a "fun summer job" (my wife's description); I'll be driving a whale watch boat in the San Juan Islands. She already said to me, "When we're done with that job, we should take the RV, the scooters, and the kayaks to Branson and spend a couple weeks."

Getting moved back into the house today, every muscle in my body aches... and we'll do it again in a month to get moved onto the boat. And, now she's talking about "the next move"???

Before you get all jealous, it's a lotta darn work having all this fun!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
I know what you mean about growing up vs getting old.

I'm in the process of moving so I also can relate to the aching muscles.

Having fun can be hard work but it's worth it to me. I'm not someone who's idea of fun is laying on the beach all day. I'd rather go for a long ride and end up really tired at the end of the day.

Anyway, I'm enjoying your thread. I may never grow up but someday I'll be able to retire and hope to do something like you are doing.

Keep on traveling, riding, and just having fun.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #97
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
One scoot in the back of the truck and the other on a hitch carrier. That leaves half the bed for other stuff.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #98
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,576
Jim, I sent you a PM regarding your V-strom, looking forward to hearing back from you....(can't find your post that you mentioned regarding the bike)

Thanks,

Chris

burque magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #99
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
Jim, I sent you a PM regarding your V-strom, looking forward to hearing back from you....(can't find your post that you mentioned regarding the bike)

Thanks,

Chris
Hi Chris,

I replied to your PM. Here is the link on the V-Strom for sale:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post21022207

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 04-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #100
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
One scoot in the back of the truck and the other on a hitch carrier. That leaves half the bed for other stuff.
Hi cdwise,

That would work if there wasn't going to be 9,000 pounds of boat following the truck. In the past, the truck bed has been a "resupply base" while we're on the boat (we have a color-matched fiberglass tonneau cover). I'm willing to give up some of that storage space for a scooter, but I really don't think my wife would be happy giving up ALL that storage.

Even with the Class V hitch on the truck, any kind of a hitch carrier won't work with the boat.

When RVing, we have a Featherlite enclosed cargo trailer that we haul behind... no way to make that work with the boat, either. WA and OR don't allow double towing.

I'll make some big decisions... and then go with what the wife wants. I've been married over 40 years - I know what it takes to make things work.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #101
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

klaviator, being retired is my favorite job so far! We were fortunate (OK, maybe hard-working) to get an early start on it. I had a 23 year old first mate on a cruise boat I was driving who said, "I was thinking about going back to college, but I think I will retire, instead. It seems to be working out real good for Captain Jim."

Ya gotta have a plan!

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 04-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #102
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Maybe you can transfer some of that cargo to the boat under a cover? Then you'd have the back of the truck.

Alternative suggestion, a couple here were going to the Pacific Northwest for vacation and looked into renting scoots there. When they found the cost they called one of those container shipping companies and had a small pod delivered. They loaded it up with their two scoots in chocks and tied down along with other gear they wanted and had them picked up. Took a cab from the airport to the pod company's storage facility near Portland where they retrieved their scoots and gear. Weeks later they went back to the pod storage, put their scoots back in the pod and had it sent back to Houston. I don't know what they paid but might be worth considering either for the scoots or the other stuff that normally goes in the back of the truck.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #103
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Maybe you can transfer some of that cargo to the boat under a cover? Then you'd have the back of the truck.

Alternative suggestion, a couple here were going to the Pacific Northwest for vacation and looked into renting scoots there. When they found the cost they called one of those container shipping companies and had a small pod delivered. They loaded it up with their two scoots in chocks and tied down along with other gear they wanted and had them picked up. Took a cab from the airport to the pod company's storage facility near Portland where they retrieved their scoots and gear. Weeks later they went back to the pod storage, put their scoots back in the pod and had it sent back to Houston. I don't know what they paid but might be worth considering either for the scoots or the other stuff that normally goes in the back of the truck.
Interesting consideration! So much for that "simplifying" stuff, huh?? I'll run that by the spousal unit. Do you have a couch I can stay on in case it doesn't go over well?

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 04-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #104
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

For anyone following along who wants to see what the V-Strom is like, here is a link to that thread...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post21118765

Before I got the V-Strom out for its photo session, we took a late lunch break and got out on the scooters... yep, just as much fun as I remembered.

These things are really small compared to the V-Strom!! But, BIG fun!!

Best wishes,
Jim

CaptnJim screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 04:48 PM
CaptnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #105
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
klaviator, being retired is my favorite job so far! We were fortunate (OK, maybe hard-working) to get an early start on it. I had a 23 year old first mate on a cruise boat I was driving who said, "I was thinking about going back to college, but I think I will retire, instead. It seems to be working out real good for Captain Jim."

Ya gotta have a plan!

Best wishes,
Jim
I will be retired in just under a year, at 55. Really looking forward to it. I think I have done enough work for a lifetime, plus have health issues. Would like to have some time left to do what I want.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote