Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #106
scrappyscooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
We picked up the new scooters today. The dealer is about 40 minutes (if traffic is flowing well on the Interstate) away, so instead of making two trips, we picked up a U-Haul trailer on the way there and got the bikes back in one trip. We did pick up new helmets, and got some time on the scooters this afternoon.

On a guitar forum where I participate, someone recently said, "You can't be sad when you're playing a ukulele." Apparently, the same thing can be said about riding a scooter! After 4 1/2 decades of riding motorcycles, my left hand and both feet felt like they weren't doing their part in this ride. But, we both had big ol' smiles on our face. Not the "flatten-your-eyeballs" kind of acceleration of some bikes, but these things are peppy... and fun!

We got used to the feel of the bikes and the controls on some back roads instead of mixing it up with city traffic. We took turns in the lead. Yep, I think we're going to enjoy this next chapter.

We are in the desert (Phoenix area) to visit with our daughter and son-in-law. We are in an RV resort not far from their home... we enjoyed the ride there. Showed off the new scooters. After a nice meal out, rode back to our place in the dark. Yep - fun!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

Nice Dahon folding bikes in the backround!
scrappyscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #107
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,138
Good luck with the upcoming retirement, Jerry. There are some drawbacks: how do you know when you're done? No vacation from the job. Of course, we expect that you will get out there and put even MORE miles on your various bikes... and not be one of those guys who sits on the porch and yells, "Get off my lawn, you damn kids!"
Old 04-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #108
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Hey, ScrappyScooter. The folding bikes are easy to take along with the RV or the boat... just not as much FUN as the scooters!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #109
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
For anyone following along who wants to see what the V-Strom is like, here is a link to that thread...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post21118765

Before I got the V-Strom out for its photo session, we took a late lunch break and got out on the scooters... yep, just as much fun as I remembered.

These things are really small compared to the V-Strom!! But, BIG fun!!

Best wishes,
Jim
Well, that was fast! Less than 10 minutes after I made that post on the FM forum, the bike was sold. While I was on the phone with the buyer, there were two more calls, with full price offers. A fourth call about a half hour later.

The V-Strom really is a great bike. I hope the new owner gives it the use it should get.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 04-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #110
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Back in the Tropical Tip, and the wind has been blowing like stink for two days. We took the scooters out a bit yesterday and today, ran across the Queen Isabella Causeway to South Padre Island... about 70' above the water, with the wind directly across at the highest span. Yep, you feel the wind on these little bikes.

In about 10 days, the area will be hosting the Beach 'N Biker Fest...

http://www.beachnbikerfest.com/

I haven't decided, yet, if I will enter the PCX in the Burnout Contest!

Yesterday, an older couple (you can call me Kettle ) on a Harley trike gave us a thumbs-up at the stoplight. I could buy a fleet of these 150s for what he paid... and none of them would be a trike.

We fueled up today: once again, I got exactly 100 mpg. The Blonde got 107 mpg. I think she is sneaking out in the middle of the night to put a cup of gas in her scoot.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 04-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #111
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

The V-Strom is loaded in the truck, and we'll head north to meet her new owner tomorrow...

When the paperwork is done, it will be the end of one chapter and the continuation of the scooter experiences. No scootering today - the wind was gusting to 40 mph.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #112
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Well, we haven't done that in a long time...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/04...long-time.html

The V-Strom is in the new owners' possession. I need a nap.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 04-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #113
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Out scootering around...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/04...er-places.html

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 04-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #114
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Man does not live by scootering alone... home projects to get done before we head out again. With projects completed, my wife said, "I'm going inside to enjoy some air conditioning."

I said, "I'm going to cool down on the scooter. See ya!"

Proof that we don't do everything together.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/04...ing-in_14.html
Old 04-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #115
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Harsh reality is beginning to set in. In a couple weeks, we will head out with the boat again. I thought a pair of scooters would definitely enhance our summer experience... OK, I still think that. Unfortunately, space is a factor, living on a small boat. Taking the scooters means taking gear. Taking scooter gear means having to leave behind some boat gear.

We went with the the consideration of taking just one scooter. That left part of the truck bed available for storage. Unlocked, open storage. Oh, sure, we could buy lockable containers. Or, we could leave the scooter(s) behind and have the heavy-duty lockable fiberglass bed cover that has served us well (my wife's practical words).

She hooked me on the idea of the scooters with, "We can take them north with us this summer..." Truth be told, she did that several decades ago when she wanted a motorhome and said, "We can take the bikes south in the winter..."

One thing we have learned with our wandering lifestyle: you can't EASILY take it all with you. And, I am a sucker for a pretty face who says what I like to hear.

So, at this point, the scooters will likely be "getting the summer off." We'll be in a tourist destination area - we can rent scooters occasionally. No, not the same as having your own along.

I am a retired guy. With a Master License for driving boats. And a wife who still thinks it's important to "do something"... well, something constructive. I would be just fine being a boat bum... or an RV bum... playing guitar and riding my scooter... no, not both at the same time.

Decisions.

I have some work to do on the boat before we head out. Yeah, that's going to seriously cut into my "free time." And, don't let anyone tell you that you have lots of free time when you retire - you just find more pleasurable things to occupy the time. But, there are still tasks that have to be done.

I'll be counting on this forum to keep me going during the summer... much like people in the frozen northland need to to make it through the winter.

Hey, on the bright side, she said, "I'm with you - this will be our last summer working, and we can take the bikes wherever you want, after this."

We'll see how this all plays out.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 04-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #116
tdbmd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Eek

Jim,

You mentioned your boat weighing 9000 lbs, got a photo of that beast?
tdbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #117
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdbmd View Post
Jim,

You mentioned your boat weighing 9000 lbs, got a photo of that beast?
Here is a look at Wild Blue...

That weight is on the trailer, assuming I'm carrying a good portion of our cruising gear in the truck.

Last year, we spent 6 months on the boat; may be a little less this year, so we can get some scooter time in during the fall months. We'll see how it all plays out.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 04-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #118
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

So, my wife says, "Do you mind putting off some boat work so I can get laundry done? You can go play on your scooter."

She didn't have to ask me twice...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/04/yes-dear.html
Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #119
klx250sfguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
You have an enviable set up there Jim. That is one beauty of a boat.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #120
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx250sfguy View Post
You have an enviable set up there Jim. That is one beauty of a boat.
Thanks, klx. When we retired, I wanted a boat that was capable of cruising with the 2 of us and a cat. Trailerable (with a diesel truck), but very seaworthy. The first year we had her, we cruised the Pacific Northwest, and spent the winter in the Florida Keys onboard. She has been on all three US coasts, Canada east and west, and lots of waterways in between. Erie Canal, Hudson River, staying in the shadow of the Statue of Liberty. The Trent-Severn Waterway. Lake Powell. Flaming Gorge. Yellowstone Lake. San Francisco Bay. Up to Desolation Sound on the BC Coast. She will be our home on the water again this summer.

I am a water guy, but this land stuff has gotten to be more fun again with the scoots. I already had a contract for this summer before we bought these scooters...

Best wishes,
Captain Jim