Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #46
travelinggnome
TravelingGnome

Oddometer: 37
All i have to say is wow to anyone who actually owns and rides a motorcycle and sides with the officer. He was following to closely, rear-ended him, and then proceeds to blame the rider?

Seriously? Wow.
travelinggnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #47
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,614
I haven't seen a single person defending the cop. Only a few people (myself included) pointing out that the rider was partly (or even mostly) responsible for the collision. Sorry that you see the world in such a black and white way that it is always one person's fault for everything and the other person is always an innocent victim. The collision and the actions that followed are two entirely separate issues.

If the cop had not hit the bike and merely lit him up then given him a (polite) talking to about his crappy riding, we would all be on the cop's side.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #48
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
ok....

i'm probably about to piss a lot of people off.

that was a brake check. nothing ahead. he's running vid.... and there is no hazzard head.

sure, the officer was a dick, but that doesnt excuse the rider's action. that is exactly what is killing insurance rates. fraud. people ride too close all the time. some like to take advantage by turning their "wreck into a check". officer should have allowed more room. we as riders know bikes will stop on a dime. cars wont. add in reaction time and it often equals a collision. we dont see it from the officer's perspective. only the rider's. after he passes the officer, he slows... then accellerates... and then comes to an abrupt halt... again, with no hazzard, no obstruction.

so.
this i ask. is it not against the law to operate a motor vehicle (incl motorcycle) in such a manner as to represent a reckless disregard for safety or others and/or damage to property? many states have laws for that... whether it falls under a "road rage" law, reckless driving or other. fact is.

one reason why i have NEVER riden in any group (asside from a toy run) is because of asshats on crotch rockets that think their superior to every form of human being. every time i pulled over a rider (squid) that was acting the fool on a bike, i was quick to inform them on how they were an embarrassement to the rest of the riders... the rest of "US".

not all departments have strict regulation on thier language to others. personally... he should have guarded his tongue better. calm minds always prevail.

perspective, gentlemen. this is what i bring you.

welcome to the world of insurance fraud.
oh. and tolling the youtube for cop haters. (he picked a good one)

i'll cut to the chase. yes. i'm a cop. (hence the screen name) 18yrs law enforcement experience.. and a motorcycle owner/operator for the last 24 years. so i was a rider before i was a cop. i have no respect for morons... and the idiot wearing the hemet cam will receive no respect from me.

let me add another point.
municipalities are getting run down by scams like this.
i had a minor accident on duty with a guy on a bicycle. my fault. i toted the ticket for it. when it came time for court on my on-duty accident, i went to city hall to get a copy of the claim the guy filed. he lied to the city saying that he was knocked to the ground in the accident, destroying his $150 Jordans, $150 South Pole jeans and $100 Polo shirt. Then claimed the bicycle he was on was worth $300. He was wearing torn up (shredded before the collision) wranglers, a stained nasty walmart polo shirt, some half separated nike's and was riding a rusty 5+ year old $75 Next 24" girls mountain bike with no brakes.

the city paid him $350 and had him sign a waiver to accept the check in agreement not to sue the city.
"shut-up" money its called in the hood.
he's a cop.
paid my a municipality (which appears fairly large)
dude is probably reading dollar signs the moment he locked it down.

wake up people.

b1pig screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 07:25 AM
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #49
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
ok....

that was a brake check. nothing ahead. he's running vid.... and there is no hazzard head.

sure, the officer was a dick, but that doesnt excuse the rider's action. that is exactly what is killing insurance rates. fraud. people ride too close all the time. some like to take advantage by turning their "wreck into a check". officer should have allowed more room. we as riders know bikes will stop on a dime. cars wont. add in reaction time and it often equals a collision. we dont see it from the officer's perspective. only the rider's. after he passes the officer, he slows... then accellerates... and then comes to an abrupt halt... again, with no hazzard, no obstruction.

so.
this i ask. is it not against the law to operate a motor vehicle (incl motorcycle) in such a manner as to represent a reckless disregard for safety or others and/or damage to property? many states have laws for that... whether it falls under a "road rage" law, reckless driving or other. fact is.

one reason why i have NEVER riden in any group (asside from a toy run) is because of asshats on crotch rockets that think their superior to every form of human being. every time i pulled over a rider (squid) that was acting the fool on a bike, i was quick to inform them on how they were an embarrassement to the rest of the riders... the rest of "US".

not all departments have strict regulation on thier language to others. personally... he should have guarded his tongue better. calm minds always prevail.

i'll cut to the chase. yes. i'm a cop. (hence the screen name) 18yrs law enforcement experience.. and a motorcycle owner/operator for the last 24 years. so i was a rider before i was a cop. i have no respect for morons... and the idiot wearing the hemet cam will receive no respect from me.

i had a minor accident on duty with a guy on a bicycle. my fault. i toted the ticket for it. when it came time for court on my on-duty accident, i went to city hall to get a copy of the claim the guy filed. he lied to the city saying that he was knocked to the ground in the accident, destroying his $150 Jordans, $150 South Pole jeans and $100 Polo shirt. Then claimed the bicycle he was on was worth $300. He was wearing torn up (shredded before the collision) wranglers, a stained nasty walmart polo shirt, some half separated nike's and was riding a rusty 5+ year old $75 Next 24" girls mountain bike with no brakes.

the city paid him $350 and had him sign a waiver to accept the check in agreement not to sue the city.
he's a cop.

wake up people.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #50
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
ok....

brake check? my bike slows down faster than that just rolling off the throttle,

when he was hit, he was approximately 3 seconds behind (recommended safe following distance for safe driving)

the cop was following the car in front of him approximately 1 second behind, (less than the 2 second minimum recommended following distance)

in other words, like MOST of the general public and apparently YOU, he's a tailgater
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #51
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,473
Its always been the position of LE that if you hit someone from behind its your fault....so he had a lot of nerve getting all up in the riders face about it....Cop *&^% up and he was pissed about it. Tried and was successful in intimidating the rider. Typical cop behavior...Any judge would throw the ticket out once he saw the video. Didn't seem like the rider did it on purpose...even if he did cop shouldn't have been that close. I wouldn't have been that polite to the cop. Write the ticket see you in court buddy...
Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #52
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
i'll cut to the chase. yes. i'm a cop. (hence the screen name) 18yrs law enforcement experience.. and a motorcycle owner/operator for the last 24 years.
So, when are you going to learn to drive ?

http://www.driversedguru.com/driving...distance-rule/

NRS 484B.127  Following too closely.
1.  The driver of a vehicle shall not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of such vehicles and the traffic upon and the condition of the highway.
2.  The driver of any truck or combination of vehicles 80 inches or more in overall width, which is following a truck, or combination of vehicles 80 inches or more in overall width, shall, whenever conditions permit, leave a space of 500 feet so that an overtaking vehicle may enter and occupy such space without danger, but this shall not prevent a truck or combination of vehicles from overtaking and passing any vehicle or combination of vehicles. This subsection does not apply to any vehicle or combination of vehicles while moving on a highway on which there are two or more lanes available for traffic moving in the same direction.
3.  Motor vehicles being driven upon any highway outside of a business district in a caravan or motorcade, whether or not towing other vehicles, shall be operated to allow sufficient space between each such vehicle or combination of vehicles so as to enable any other vehicle or combination of vehicles to enter and occupy such space without danger.
(Added to NRS by 1969, 1489)—(Substituted in revision for NRS 484.307)
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #53
blackx70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Brake check to cause fraud? I can not imagine a motorcycle rider wanting to get hit by a car.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #54
Griffin44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
ok....

that was a brake check. nothing ahead. he's running vid.... and there is no hazzard head....

wake up people.
You're a cop? And you believe what you wrote? Holy crap!! Glad I don't ride in your jurisdiction.

You really need to develop some understanding of the rules of the road if you're supposed to be enforcing them. BTW, you can't really brake check someone unless they're following too closely.

The cop was wrong to rear end the biker. Period. The rest of his tirade and intimidation should result in dismissal, at least, from the service. What a dick.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #55
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
ok....

Watch the video again. I had to watch it a few times to figure out what the rider was doing. That car in the left lane is a very clear hazard. He signals but then doesn't come over. The rider moves to the right in case the car makes a sudden move and when he finally does come over, the rider can see that traffic is now stopping in front of him. He comes to a complete stop.

Now, could he have continued moving in this situation? Sure. Would it have prevented him from getting hit? Not so sure. Slowing down by rolling off the throttle would have meant no brake lights and Mr. Dumbass might have hit him harder.

So while I get your point, I don't interpret it like you do. I do see a hazard and think the biker's reaction could have been better, but it was far from a malicious act and certainly not insurance fraud.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #56
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
ok....

were all glad your a cop............................................... .............and not a judge
Double H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #57
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
ok....

again, with no hazzard, no obstruction.
To anyone paying attention, a car attempting to merge into your lane is a very serious hazzard.

Also if he were to accelerate and drive past the car waiting with the turn signal on, he would be enforcing most peoples opinion that motorcyclist's are assholes.
I would have been nice and let him over too. If not partly to make sure he didn't merge in and push me off the road.

And that cop new exactly what he was doing when he walked up yelling at the guy, while the guy was still trying to figure out what even happened.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #58
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,385
Every time I have been pulled over, the cop did his intimidate the victim routine ( or sucker someone into running) by following very closely for several seconds without lights, less than 10 feet at highway speeds. I pull over if I can before they light me up. If they ask why, I tell them they were endangering me by following too closely and I wanted out of their way. If it plays out that way, I seem to get off without a ticket, only a warning.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #59
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,614
Quote:
...that was a brake check. nothing ahead. he's running vid.... and there is no hazzard head...
Hazard ahead... Yes!

Erratic, crappy riding and an unecessary stop... Yes!

Brake check... No!
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #60
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
ok....

so.

he's a cop.

wake up people.
I agree with some of what you are saying but here is three of my problems with this Officer.

1. You followed close enough you hit the guy in slow moving traffic, the law is the law on that...sorry.
2. Official Oppression under the color of the Law, you're a cop and understand that one.
3.Failure to report a TC, violates departmental policy, so the guy is screwed on that one regardless.

My opinion is this: As a cop no need to act like a dick, and not bright when some young punk is video taping you. Did the bike slow down fast, looked like to me, but then again I wasn't on the bike so I don't know what is going through his head. Personally I wouldn't chance fate by getting myself hit on purpose on a bike, I enjoy my health.
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote